Silly season has begun

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the season continues...had guests here last week who were 'bookending' their stay...a few nights last week, another night tonight. It's 1 PM and they let themselves in the house and went to 'their' room. The only way we knew they were here is we saw their car outside. Just waltzed in 2 hours early, didn't ring the bell, just used the door code to open the door. I'm going to have to start changing the code when we have 'bookenders'. Luckily, the room was cleaned..
Luckily no one was in 'their' room....
I'm just happy the housekeeper was gone by that time. She would not have known how to handle someone walking in and claiming the room was theirs. This is a situation I have worried about but it is the first time, to my knowledge, someone has used the code to get in the house when we weren't expecting them to do that.
We have a lot of 'bookenders' here and none have ever let themselves in even tho they all joke about thinking about doing it because they know the code from the weekend before.

And the season continues...had guests here last week who were 'bookending' their stay...a few nights last week, another night tonight. It's 1 PM and they let themselves in the house and went to 'their' room. The only way we knew they were here is we saw their car outside. Just waltzed in 2 hours early, didn't ring the bell, just used the door code to open the door. I'm going to have to start changing the code when we have 'bookenders'. Luckily, the room was cleaned..
Luckily no one was in 'their' room....
I'm just happy the housekeeper was gone by that time. She would not have known how to handle someone walking in and claiming the room was theirs. This is a situation I have worried about but it is the first time, to my knowledge, someone has used the code to get in the house when we weren't expecting them to do that.
We have a lot of 'bookenders' here and none have ever let themselves in even tho they all joke about thinking about doing it because they know the code from the weekend before.
We get those 'bookenders' here too, only I call them my hop-skippers as we are the mid of their trip to/from their destination.
Speaking of remembering the entry code, we had a repeat that came in and when I said I needed to show him the door lock, he spealed off the # from the YEAR before and said he almost let himself in. - Joke was on him, we do change our code at least every week or two. But I was taken back that he remembered it! That code was one of our regular ones so even I remembered it when he said it. After that, we have tried to not use the same codes that often.)

So my guests finally checked in at 12:17. I had to go to bed and left DSH (Dear Sweet husband - for really special times) to handle the check-in. So this morning I had to bite my lips to keep from asking how they ended up in a state they shouldn't have been in in the first place. And to top it off - I was going to give them directions to a tour I had arranged for them but she replies "is it in GPS?" HUH! Oh brother!.
copperhead said:
So my guests finally checked in at 12:17. I had to go to bed and left DSH (Dear Sweet husband - for really special times) to handle the check-in. So this morning I had to bite my lips to keep from asking how they ended up in a state they shouldn't have been in in the first place. And to top it off - I was going to give them directions to a tour I had arranged for them but she replies "is it in GPS?" HUH! Oh brother!
These guests had been last week bookings and we did not have room for them for Sat. night so they went to another neighboring town for Sat. and are to return today for another night. Fine and good, I guess! I confirmed - you will be checking in on Sunday between 3-4? Both nodded and said yes. It is now 5:30!
cry_smile.gif
This is MY fault! I should have said, you are my only check ins and we will be leaving for 4th of July festivities soon after you arrive. (in other words be considerate and get here.)
As was stated in another thread...no matter what you say in writing or tell them they will do what they please. Because ---- we have nothing to do but sit here and wait for ya...

So my guests finally checked in at 12:17. I had to go to bed and left DSH (Dear Sweet husband - for really special times) to handle the check-in. So this morning I had to bite my lips to keep from asking how they ended up in a state they shouldn't have been in in the first place. And to top it off - I was going to give them directions to a tour I had arranged for them but she replies "is it in GPS?" HUH! Oh brother!.
copperhead said:
So my guests finally checked in at 12:17. I had to go to bed and left DSH (Dear Sweet husband - for really special times) to handle the check-in. So this morning I had to bite my lips to keep from asking how they ended up in a state they shouldn't have been in in the first place. And to top it off - I was going to give them directions to a tour I had arranged for them but she replies "is it in GPS?" HUH! Oh brother!
These guests had been last week bookings and we did not have room for them for Sat. night so they went to another neighboring town for Sat. and are to return today for another night. Fine and good, I guess! I confirmed - you will be checking in on Sunday between 3-4? Both nodded and said yes. It is now 5:30!
cry_smile.gif
This is MY fault! I should have said, you are my only check ins and we will be leaving for 4th of July festivities soon after you arrive. (in other words be considerate and get here.)
As was stated in another thread...no matter what you say in writing or tell them they will do what they please. Because ---- we have nothing to do but sit here and wait for ya...
Never let the guests know they will be putting you out by not arriving on time! (Because they will think you're kidding or they won't care.)
Just say, 'We are leaving at 4 PM (plan some buffer in that time), if you are not here by then, we will be home by 10 PM, please take yourselves out to dinner, check out this activity and we will see you at 10 PM.'
Then GO to your planned activities.

Just a suggestion....change your keypad code more often. ;-) Especially if you have previous guests coming back.

Been helping sort people with accomodation and lost people all yesterday had 10 people who were not my guests but my big neighbour the Kimberley's (Camberley and Kimberley) the first lot the taxi driver dropped them off with me three pieces of hand luggage and 2 huge cases discovered the mistake straight away but the taxi was long gone and the poor couple had come all the way from south America and were quite tired rang the Kimberley to see if they could send a porter for the bags they couldn't for a bit So I left DH in charge and wizzed them round. Then we had 3 lots of people trying to check in and then another 4 looking for people they thought were staying with us but wern't. It gives me ten types of stroke as I worry I have made a mistake and don't have a reservation for them. Oh well I hope that by helping they may come back to me another time or if they are internationals they have a good impression of English people..
Here it requires at least 4 generations of "born here" to be a local (and that does NOT include folks from the next town that is 3 miles away).
My house will never be anything other than the Gillum house no matter how long I own it - and not because of the B & B name but because of the family name. No one ever called it the Harris house (we bought it from them over 20 years after they bought it! The house across the street that was torn down was owned by the Douglas family for over 50 years, but was never anything other than the Lynch house.
oops...duplicate post again. Ack!

I've had quite a bit of trouble so far this summer with guests deadbolting other guests out of the house. The guest entry has a keyed handle, which guests have the key to. The deadbolt on that door is for us to use when no guests are in house, or when we're not here, to ensure that any guest key that might have been duped won't be a problem. Last night, a couple arrived back from fireworks after 1am (and after I had turned in). Our downstairs guests did just what we asked them not to, and deadbolted the front door after going out for that last late night cigarette, and thus locked this other couple out. Luckily, the stragglers were friendly with the guests across the hall from them, and after seeing their light was on, they threw pebbles at their room window until the other guests looked out, came down, and let them in. Apparently they all found it to be a huge adventure, and giggled and chortled about it...but of course I was mortified when I found out this morning.
The doorbell rings in the kitchen, so if they rang it, I never heard it. Tomorrow, D. is going to the hardware to get the type of deadbolt that only locks or unlocks on either side with a key, so guests can't screw with it. Why do they always do just what you ask them not to, and don't do what you ask them TO do??

More on silly season...just went to turn off the lights around the house and there is a note in the kitchen...Rooms X & Y will be going out for breakfast as 8 AM is too late for them to eat with their young children. And an appended note from someone else telling what Room Z would like to have to eat. Room A has already requested something other than what we're making, but that's ok as this was requested years ago and we do this every year. (Rank has privileges around here!) So, that leaves me 2 rooms that may actually eat what we had planned to make and one room that, for some reason, thinks they are supposed to place an order the night before.
Silly season is off and running!.
3 rooms left to go out for breakfast (and the kids had cereal before going out!) and one room left early. And we're not even serving quiche!
We have 7 people for breakfast this morning, and only two eat bacon - the rest are veggies. Tomorrow, with a full house, we have 4 bacon eaters, 2 turkey bacon eaters and 5 veggies again.
I'll eat their bacon.
teeth_smile.gif

You will have to fight me for it! I love crisp bacon!
gillumhouse said:
You will have to fight me for it! I love crisp bacon!
Me, too! I love it when my bacon stands at attention!

I've had quite a bit of trouble so far this summer with guests deadbolting other guests out of the house. The guest entry has a keyed handle, which guests have the key to. The deadbolt on that door is for us to use when no guests are in house, or when we're not here, to ensure that any guest key that might have been duped won't be a problem. Last night, a couple arrived back from fireworks after 1am (and after I had turned in). Our downstairs guests did just what we asked them not to, and deadbolted the front door after going out for that last late night cigarette, and thus locked this other couple out. Luckily, the stragglers were friendly with the guests across the hall from them, and after seeing their light was on, they threw pebbles at their room window until the other guests looked out, came down, and let them in. Apparently they all found it to be a huge adventure, and giggled and chortled about it...but of course I was mortified when I found out this morning.
The doorbell rings in the kitchen, so if they rang it, I never heard it. Tomorrow, D. is going to the hardware to get the type of deadbolt that only locks or unlocks on either side with a key, so guests can't screw with it. Why do they always do just what you ask them not to, and don't do what you ask them TO do??.
Little Blue said:
Tomorrow, D. is going to the hardware to get the type of deadbolt that only locks or unlocks on either side with a key, so guests can't screw with it.
We also have a deadbolt on our front door which is not used when guests are here. We have had people lock it a few times; fortunately either after everyone else was in, or once, when they were still there to answer the door. We had a note there, but no one ever reads them, of course!
Now I just use a rubber band to wind around the sliding bolt so that you would actually have to remove it before you could lock it. No one has tried to lock it since.

Muirford good idear.
It goes in spurts. Those trying to be helpful, like they even know if anyone else is staying or still to check in yet. The time we have had messing with locks was any time we broke our rule and allowed kids. The kids messed with them - even with the parents standing beside them asking us a question.
The "Please keep door closed" sign right above the door knob to open the door to go out DOES NOT work for some people. I really want to ask if they can read pr are illiterate? I understand packing up and all that, but 7pm at night, door wide open A/C chuckin' a tizzy fit.

Back