Silly season has begun

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
2 lookie lous in 10 minutes...just looking for a place to sleep. I mention my price. Pick them both up off the floor. Ask what is their price point. About 2/3 of what I'm charging. I call around and find one a place for $100 less than I'm charging. Off goes couple 1. The other one I send to hotel land because he doesn't seem to want to try another B&B even tho I tell him the price is right where I'm sending him. ('What's the difference between there and here?' 'We're nicer.' ha ha)
After giving him a map, directions and writing it all down for him, he says as he walks out the door, 'Before I leave, what's your best price? You can't have anyone coming in tonight.'
Silly season is upon us. Right about on time...

"what's your best price? You can't have anyone coming in tonight."
Thank you Priceline
cry_smile.gif

Thank you Priceline
cry_smile.gif
No, this has been going on for a long time. It's usually shoulder season when guests think A) the prices should still be winter rates; B) winter rates should have started already. Around here that basically means from Labor Day to Memorial Day the rates should be 'off season'.
Most people 'get' summer season. It's when it's cold and 'in season' that they don't get it. Same thing happens once Labor Day hits. They don't get that we go right thru Oct in 'peak' season. And then you get the ones after Columbus Day who think the rates should be down to $75 when my peak foliage is just hitting. Because it is not summer.

Thank you Priceline
cry_smile.gif
No, this has been going on for a long time. It's usually shoulder season when guests think A) the prices should still be winter rates; B) winter rates should have started already. Around here that basically means from Labor Day to Memorial Day the rates should be 'off season'.
Most people 'get' summer season. It's when it's cold and 'in season' that they don't get it. Same thing happens once Labor Day hits. They don't get that we go right thru Oct in 'peak' season. And then you get the ones after Columbus Day who think the rates should be down to $75 when my peak foliage is just hitting. Because it is not summer.
My rates are the same all year. Glad I don't have to mess with all that/
I did have a guest check in today from "the other coast" and after ohhhhing and ahhhhhing about our place, then proceeded to say "you don't get people here in the winter, do you?" Geez....we're in the pacific NW, not Siberia!

Thank you Priceline
cry_smile.gif
My rates are the same all year. Glad I don't have to mess with all that/
I did have a guest check in today from "the other coast" and after ohhhhing and ahhhhhing about our place, then proceeded to say "you don't get people here in the winter, do you?" Geez....we're in the pacific NW, not Siberia!
We get that, too, and I blame it on the state marketing campaigns. Everything is about summer here. Once Labor Day rolls around everyone wants to tally how 'the season' went even tho we are still chugging happily along with our best month yet to come. And it says NOTHING about the upcoming winter ski season. For Pete's sake, the Olympic biathlon trials have been held here. We don't shut down because it snows!

I would not have called anyone for them. You aren't the chamber of commerce. Just point them to the nearest motel 6 and be done with them!!! Who needs that kind of grief.

I would not have called anyone for them. You aren't the chamber of commerce. Just point them to the nearest motel 6 and be done with them!!! Who needs that kind of grief..
I do not look at trying to be helpful as a waste of time. Yes, it may take a few minutes now, but the people MAY remember the help another time or tell others about me because I was helpful. Even if they don't, I consider it paying forward. SOOO many people have helped me in so many ways over the years that I look at it as either pay back or pay forward because I know I will be helped again in the future.

I would not have called anyone for them. You aren't the chamber of commerce. Just point them to the nearest motel 6 and be done with them!!! Who needs that kind of grief..
catlady said:
I would not have called anyone for them. You aren't the chamber of commerce. Just point them to the nearest motel 6 and be done with them!!! Who needs that kind of grief.
If they're nice people I help them. I can't stop myself. I hate to see people driving aimlessly around when I know the exact spot that they could go to for the price they want to pay. (I did point the last guy to the Su p er ei ght because he peeved me. BUT, I gave him a map and wrote it all down because his English wasn't too hot.)
Here's why I do this...we have had a few guests who have stayed with us who were given the bum's rush by another B&B and were on the point of deciding to just skip this town altogether. I would rather they went home and said, 'Skip that B&B, but great town to stay in.'

Most of the time I help these people also. If you've ever traveled a lot, especially in a foreign country, it can really make a difference. If a traveler were to encounter grumpy people everywhere they went, it would certainly color their perspective of not only your region, but sometimes the entire continent.
Once we moved to the Pacific NW, we immediately felt the difference in the kindness of strangers. It's one of the main reasons I really enjoy living here. From the waitress to the people just walking down the street, it's evident. Don't get me wrong, I won't spend 1/2 an hour with someone, but I will try to set them on a course that's better for them. It's the way I would want to be treated in an unfamiliar area.

When it is busy here I try and keep a list of who has rooms to hand (we are on an email network so I email in the morning for who has rooms) then if anyone comes to the door I can help sort them out right away give the other place a call and then send them round. People come here and have no clue how busy it can be and end up nearly in tears after trying 10 or 20 places I always send them away with one of our cards and hope they come back to me next time. it costs nothing and really helps people. (I am saving up my Karma points for when I really need them!)

catlady said:
If they're nice people I help them. I can't stop myself. I hate to see people driving aimlessly around when I know the exact spot that they could go to for the price they want to pay. (I did point the last guy to the Su p er ei ght because he peeved me. BUT, I gave him a map and wrote it all down because his English wasn't too hot.)
Here's why I do this...we have had a few guests who have stayed with us who were given the bum's rush by another B&B and were on the point of deciding to just skip this town altogether. I would rather they went home and said, 'Skip that B&B, but great town to stay in.'
Ok, I take that back...if they were nice then I would probably help them as well.
embaressed_smile.gif
But if they were nasty...I would just point them to the nearest motel and be done with them.

catlady said:
Ok, I take that back...if they were nice then I would probably help them as well.
embaressed_smile.gif
But if they were nasty...I would just point them to the nearest motel and be done with them.
Here's another one...look outside and see two people standing in the driveway looking at the house and shaking their heads. I go to the door to see what they want. 'We stayed at a place that looks a lot like this, but it's not this place.' I say, 'Two doors up.' Then they want to know if we have rooms. Believe me, if they have stayed at the other place they won't be paying my prices. Wasn't even going to try.

When it is busy here I try and keep a list of who has rooms to hand (we are on an email network so I email in the morning for who has rooms) then if anyone comes to the door I can help sort them out right away give the other place a call and then send them round. People come here and have no clue how busy it can be and end up nearly in tears after trying 10 or 20 places I always send them away with one of our cards and hope they come back to me next time. it costs nothing and really helps people. (I am saving up my Karma points for when I really need them!).
When it is busy here I try and keep a list of who has rooms to hand (we are on an email network so I email in the morning for who has rooms) then if anyone comes to the door I can help sort them out right away give the other place a call and then send them round. People come here and have no clue how busy it can be and end up nearly in tears after trying 10 or 20 places I always send them away with one of our cards and hope they come back to me next time. it costs nothing and really helps people. (I am saving up my Karma points for when I really need them!)
I do the same thing. If it keeps the guests in my town where they'll be spending money at local restaurants and shops -rather than driving back to the freeway and moving down the road - I figure it's good for everyone.
And besides, it's always a good thing to keep building those Karma points. Can't have too many.

Been helping sort people with accomodation and lost people all yesterday had 10 people who were not my guests but my big neighbour the Kimberley's (Camberley and Kimberley) the first lot the taxi driver dropped them off with me three pieces of hand luggage and 2 huge cases discovered the mistake straight away but the taxi was long gone and the poor couple had come all the way from south America and were quite tired rang the Kimberley to see if they could send a porter for the bags they couldn't for a bit So I left DH in charge and wizzed them round. Then we had 3 lots of people trying to check in and then another 4 looking for people they thought were staying with us but wern't. It gives me ten types of stroke as I worry I have made a mistake and don't have a reservation for them. Oh well I hope that by helping they may come back to me another time or if they are internationals they have a good impression of English people.

Been helping sort people with accomodation and lost people all yesterday had 10 people who were not my guests but my big neighbour the Kimberley's (Camberley and Kimberley) the first lot the taxi driver dropped them off with me three pieces of hand luggage and 2 huge cases discovered the mistake straight away but the taxi was long gone and the poor couple had come all the way from south America and were quite tired rang the Kimberley to see if they could send a porter for the bags they couldn't for a bit So I left DH in charge and wizzed them round. Then we had 3 lots of people trying to check in and then another 4 looking for people they thought were staying with us but wern't. It gives me ten types of stroke as I worry I have made a mistake and don't have a reservation for them. Oh well I hope that by helping they may come back to me another time or if they are internationals they have a good impression of English people..
I have always had a good impression of English people! :) Sounds like you're very kind and a winner, Camberley!

Been helping sort people with accomodation and lost people all yesterday had 10 people who were not my guests but my big neighbour the Kimberley's (Camberley and Kimberley) the first lot the taxi driver dropped them off with me three pieces of hand luggage and 2 huge cases discovered the mistake straight away but the taxi was long gone and the poor couple had come all the way from south America and were quite tired rang the Kimberley to see if they could send a porter for the bags they couldn't for a bit So I left DH in charge and wizzed them round. Then we had 3 lots of people trying to check in and then another 4 looking for people they thought were staying with us but wern't. It gives me ten types of stroke as I worry I have made a mistake and don't have a reservation for them. Oh well I hope that by helping they may come back to me another time or if they are internationals they have a good impression of English people..
I have always had a good impression of English people! :) Sounds like you're very kind and a winner, Camberley!
One tries (my mum says I am very trying) but I always think if you don't like helping people you shouldn't work in customer service? Some people are just not suited! I think it helps because I know a lot about my town and how it works and have 20 years experience. Plus Yorkshire people can be a bit odd as you are not considered a local for about 10 years so it can be intimidating for new people. Plus I am a soft touch for lame ducks lol its why I get stuck with all the mad old dears that no one else wants!

One tries (my mum says I am very trying) but I always think if you don't like helping people you shouldn't work in customer service? Some people are just not suited! I think it helps because I know a lot about my town and how it works and have 20 years experience. Plus Yorkshire people can be a bit odd as you are not considered a local for about 10 years so it can be intimidating for new people. Plus I am a soft touch for lame ducks lol its why I get stuck with all the mad old dears that no one else wants!
People can be odd everywhere about not considering you "local" for a long time. There are folks here that still refer to houses by their owners 20 years back (these are not the original historic owners either!). I have NO IDEA who those people are/were! I have only been here about 7 years.
I figured we finally might be finally accepted when they started referring to our house as Samster's and her dh's house. haha!

That is so sweet. You are so NOT Sybil Fawlty are you?
wink_smile.gif

Around here you're not local unless your grandparents were born here, and your parents and yourself. Heaven forbid your mother was out of the state when you were born! I've never been local anywhere as my grandparents weren't born in this country even! I do my best with hand I was dealt...

My favorite for the day. What is the best you can do for this weekend ?. Did I mention it is the 4th of July Weekend ? I tell him the we are booked and most of the Inns/ B&B are all booked. Thats hard to believe and then hangs up.

My favorite for the day. What is the best you can do for this weekend ?. Did I mention it is the 4th of July Weekend ? I tell him the we are booked and most of the Inns/ B&B are all booked. Thats hard to believe and then hangs up..
It's always hard to believe that they didn't plan ahead but everyone else did!

Back