Sinage for your 'Green' facility

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were given a flag by the state that we can display outside and one inside as well (little desktop flag). We have it in our room notebooks with an explanation of what it means. We do the little cards about hanging up your towels. If guests inquire about recycling we explain how we handle that. We have a state-issued logo we can put on our website.
I don't push this. MANY people who are seriously pursuing the eco lifestyle think we're not even close, so we don't want them to come here and then blast us for our puny efforts. (ie- one family who brought their own food and their own juicers because they would not eat 'corporate' foods.)
We don't use 100% organic cotton products or 100% green soaps & shampoos, so the green thing is not something I really tout. We do what we do, but we're nowhere near the level of places generating their own power and supplying their own foods..
Don't push it at all.
Though we put in LED lighting in all rooms = all room light less than 30W
And we are adding solar heating for the showers.
At this point I happily rub my wallet when i see the power-bill.
But as Morticia said, there are people out there who are very serious about green, I think about our efforts as "green washing" and other than mentioning it on the website do not push it.
Bo

We qualified for our state green logo and have it on our website, and are listed online as such on the state website
RIki.
I qualified for a "Green" logo back in 2003 but my State DEP and the other "ECOs" have been so busy dithering about the subtance behind the logo that they never got around to creating a logo! Instead they went off to Virginia, Maine, and Wisconsin giving classes in "Green" so those States could come up with a logo - whether there is substance behind it or not I do not know or care. They cheated me out of being able to get that market - and I lost about $1000 in revenue the year of the classes becauise I had a class to attend and could not take the rez. Ask me how much it hurts to hear them to this day give me the BS about "substance" behind the logo.

We have a Green tourism scheme here in Scotland and weve had a gold standard for several years. We have a plaque which we display and we have a policy on our web site and in our rooms.
A lot of what we do makes sense environmentally and economically, recycled paper and TP, towel reuse, recycling waste etc. etc. some of the hoops we have to jump through to get this seem somewhat pointless.
A couple of years ago when we first achieved Gold we listed on Eco web sites and made a big thing about it, we got, and still get a few comments from people who say they appreciate our efforts, but as far driving booking through it's a waste of time.
Over the years we've gradually dumped all the eco-websites that charge because they just didn't create the bookings to justify their subscriptions.
What amuses and irritates us are the people who make a big thing about our green policy and then go out for the day leaving their laptop and the room lights on. That's happened on several occasions. And the eco-warriors who feel it's their duty to bring to your attention every single tiny opportunity we've missed to reduce our carbon footprint.

We have a Green tourism scheme here in Scotland and weve had a gold standard for several years. We have a plaque which we display and we have a policy on our web site and in our rooms.
A lot of what we do makes sense environmentally and economically, recycled paper and TP, towel reuse, recycling waste etc. etc. some of the hoops we have to jump through to get this seem somewhat pointless.
A couple of years ago when we first achieved Gold we listed on Eco web sites and made a big thing about it, we got, and still get a few comments from people who say they appreciate our efforts, but as far driving booking through it's a waste of time.
Over the years we've gradually dumped all the eco-websites that charge because they just didn't create the bookings to justify their subscriptions.
What amuses and irritates us are the people who make a big thing about our green policy and then go out for the day leaving their laptop and the room lights on. That's happened on several occasions. And the eco-warriors who feel it's their duty to bring to your attention every single tiny opportunity we've missed to reduce our carbon footprint..
Exactly! It has mostly been a lot of talk and hot air! Funny thing was when they did my site survey, they told us we were already doing everything we could possibly be doing other than using the squiggly light bulbs that bring mercury into my house (argument being they do not get broken - uh-huh, I have never broken a thermometer that was considered dangerous because it had mercury in it but over the years I have broken many a light bulb - anyone ever hear of a lamp getting knocked over?) and compost. I did what I did because it made sense in my wallet!
People want to feel good about believing in the "going Green" until they actually are expected to either live it or pay extra for it. Nope! Not happening. Never bekieved in the warming because I lived through the "we are going to freeze" era (BTW, we did not freeze) but for the business I could pretend I did since I was really doing it. Still waiting for that stampeed of Green Guests.

Back