Since the door is sticking...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
from the heat.
We will pull and turn every other knob and lock everyone else out.

ACK!!! Or here, they would just leave it unlocked. Gee thanks....
Another week of 100+F temps here. blech.

Samster,
I know where you're located (not that far from me). Are you getting a lot of guests this month? It's crazy! With the temperatures staying above 100, this is our busiest month ever.
To think, when we first opened two years ago (it's our anniversary by the way) we thought we might have to close in July and August because surely no one would want to stay with us in the heat of summer. Boy, were we wrong.

We have soaped it but it is just the way it is can't cut it, it will go back soon enough.
Any other NON cutting ideas y'all? it is really body-slam to get open right now!

Samster,
I know where you're located (not that far from me). Are you getting a lot of guests this month? It's crazy! With the temperatures staying above 100, this is our busiest month ever.
To think, when we first opened two years ago (it's our anniversary by the way) we thought we might have to close in July and August because surely no one would want to stay with us in the heat of summer. Boy, were we wrong..
We closed our business at the end of February. I am still getting calls and emails. The other B&Bs are sloooooooooooow. This has always been a very quiet time all over our city.

We have soaped it but it is just the way it is can't cut it, it will go back soon enough.
Any other NON cutting ideas y'all? it is really body-slam to get open right now!.
Is it sticking on the sides, or the bottom? Is it wood? I've had to shave a few millimeters off my wood door in the summer from the sides.

Back to the topic at hand... Every single one of our doors is sticking. I lot of this comes from the ground shifting when it's dry. Once it rains, things should improve.
We're also getting squeaking floors for the same reason.

Samster,
To think, when we first opened two years ago (it's our anniversary by the way) we thought we might have to close in July and August because surely no one would want to stay with us in the heat of summer. Boy, were we wrong..
from your web site your place looks quiet forest/country/lakes/ Cool shade? perhaps this is why they think it will be cool and relaxing ?

We have one door like that and it has a sign on it to not use it. The 'entry' door is metal and not given to shrinking & swelling. However, I know what you mean. The door was SO loose in the frame in the winter, the wind blew in all around it. We put in a strip to keep the cold out. So, in the summer, when it's humid, the door swells and it's tough to open. Thus the sign to use a different door. (I know that's not an option for you.)

my son rubbed wd40 all around the sides and we ran a dehumidifier nearby the main door. he also played with the hinges ... adjusting how tight they were to try to get the door to swing freely.
the trouble is, if you shave off some, when the weather changes the door will be loose and then you have to do something about the draft that comes in.

We have doors that swell so much they stick in the summer and shrink so much they won't close in the winter. Gotta love an old house.

JB - same here... it is the dang humidity. We have tried every handyman, home remedy known to man... the only cure comes from the change in the seasons. We must tell our guests to push/pull hard and make sure the door closes securely so the lock will click. It is a pain but one that should be coming to an end in the coming weeks - (can you tell I am ready for fall.)
We finally are getting some relief from the 100's temps... with a nice bit of rain! A welcome change but does not help that dang front door.

Any other NON cutting ideas y'all? it is really body-slam to get open right now!.
Any other NON cutting ideas y'all? it is really body-slam to get open right now!
A good sharp plane can do wonders if it is a wood door.
Instead of soap, use parafin wax (like canning wax) or bees wax. Soap will usually draw in more moisture and while it does lubricate, it may well make the swelling of the wood worse. The wax will do the same lubrication, but if anything it will seal it a bit.

Back