Single Cup Coffee Makers (Like Keurig)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Since it is cyber monday I had a peek as many are on sale. But the k-cups are not. How can you give this amenity when these individual cups are around $1 a piece? Someone here shared the story of a guest using 8+ one evening. Is there some innkeepers secret wholesale shop for the coffee?
(I see strange brands of coffee on sale cyber monday for about $.60-75 cents per cup but isn't that like serving Big-K soda? Unknown and cheap)

The patent is almost up on their system and it is going to get a lot cheaper soon. Soon is 2012. I could not find a better date.

I buy them at an office supply place- 24 for $8. BB&B has them 18 for $10. Use the 20% off coupon.

JB, I generally buy the cups from Amazon, who will list them for me with the cost per cup (I won't pay more than 50 cents per). On occasion, we have guests who use a lot, but not that often. I also have guests who tell me at breakfast they'd just rather have it brewed from the pot (sharing with me - I always have a pot brewed in the kitchen). If we have a full house and everyone is a coffee drinker, sometimes I'll just brew a pot and leave it out, and the Keurig serves for those who want decaf or something flavored. I have, however, begun avoiding the flavors because I find most of our guests just want coffee-flavored coffee.
The Keurig also doubles as a hot water kettle. I've had some guests bring their own tea (although I offer a big variety), and they were happy as clams to be able to get the hot water whenver they wanted.
For myself, I'm tickled my sister is handing-up her Tassimo to me. I don't think it would ever be feasible for the BnB, but I am certainly looking forward to treating myself! I can't remember the last time I had a cappucino or latte. Oh, wait, yes I do...it came out of her Tassimo.

Next question - they appear to be flimsy but has anyone tried the donut makers? They make the small cake donuts you can glaze? (baked and not fried like reg donuts) like this one:
3CeckdaCQIR09_UcRlk9jLx39i0axDhJ8bDJn0IDFk49KGIA9vh52d-6-uySnCQtZWphwDPh8ZAhgQzpGN9n9LuioUOKSmGR54ZKo7apcvc8gj9nR28NK5pXNkB3FmCYifkad9Fgr_yIdM23XZ16m9zlty3rZro78M073VEi1KjLAE_0Yz95NLVd5KIKNHvVotTilT3jliw9FYx6fzTGinb0SKjD9cxL3sAgPshLqmbhYFl5Qo3lhF1hZxbpXHPh8L_MJeGMUvIWI8tSPxy_--pgr7nARC8TJkKG4XA

I ask as this is something a normal household would put up in the pantry after a couple uses, but B&B's might get a good use out of them, serving fresh donuts vs muffins etc. or skip the donuts and make the holes only:
sBeDo2pTUJlsjcURz4Y7Xo16kZqSNesqoFCu6avZUpSKk3JTG2hLF9kREvq5ocJhZp36dFOahak_6NyK_GzvBnIZSr88BCVKeMeL8-7P_cc4_qU4enjU3HpbT2FwX-lT4hm1zkkTmwYv5OjZxzS_XmH_VXDO2pxZ9afEEvTSojpSqNadfmRpfbJW-vCR05rV4B4zGGEnFps

Next question - they appear to be flimsy but has anyone tried the donut makers? They make the small cake donuts you can glaze? (baked and not fried like reg donuts) like this one:
3CeckdaCQIR09_UcRlk9jLx39i0axDhJ8bDJn0IDFk49KGIA9vh52d-6-uySnCQtZWphwDPh8ZAhgQzpGN9n9LuioUOKSmGR54ZKo7apcvc8gj9nR28NK5pXNkB3FmCYifkad9Fgr_yIdM23XZ16m9zlty3rZro78M073VEi1KjLAE_0Yz95NLVd5KIKNHvVotTilT3jliw9FYx6fzTGinb0SKjD9cxL3sAgPshLqmbhYFl5Qo3lhF1hZxbpXHPh8L_MJeGMUvIWI8tSPxy_--pgr7nARC8TJkKG4XA

I ask as this is something a normal household would put up in the pantry after a couple uses, but B&B's might get a good use out of them, serving fresh donuts vs muffins etc. or skip the donuts and make the holes only:
sBeDo2pTUJlsjcURz4Y7Xo16kZqSNesqoFCu6avZUpSKk3JTG2hLF9kREvq5ocJhZp36dFOahak_6NyK_GzvBnIZSr88BCVKeMeL8-7P_cc4_qU4enjU3HpbT2FwX-lT4hm1zkkTmwYv5OjZxzS_XmH_VXDO2pxZ9afEEvTSojpSqNadfmRpfbJW-vCR05rV4B4zGGEnFps
I bought a donut maker last Christmas at Macy's for $9.99 during a sale. It works great. I'm not sure how durable it will turn out to be, but it's been pretty hard for the guests to turn down fresh, hot mini-treats.
I haven't tried any of the recipes that came with the device, I just look online for baked donut recipes and so far they've worked out great.
If I could figure out how to download a picture, I'd post one of the cider donut batches I recently made. Can anybody help walk me thru? When I click on the picture icon and choose to pull from my browser I get some sort of directory that is definitely not my computer's files...

I have also read (here or elsewhere) where guests have taken the K-cups with them, that right there turned me off. I rarely get asked for a cup of coffee during the day (after breakfast) or evening and if so I will just put on a pot.
DH had found the refillable type of k-cups (not sure where) but we also ruled them out as there would be lots of clean up.

I've used these in lots of hotels and liked them. They're the ones where you open a foil or plastic pouch, take out the disposable plastic tray with a "tea bag" of coffee, slide it into the machine, pour a cup of water in the back and press the start button.
The only drawback I've thought about with them is the same as with ANY coffeemaker in a guest room. If they decide to make a second cup, they're likely to fill their now-dirty cup with water and pour it in the coffee maker. I'd hope the heat would kill any really dangerous germs, but it won't kill everything.

whoopie_open.jpg

How's this for a niche market. Whoopie Pie maker

I had the donut maker at one time. I do not remember ever using it. I either gave it away or sold it at a yard sale to reclaim the cabinet space.

We have a keurig, but we use it for breakfast and only for decaf and flavoured coffee... except that I use it in emergencies when we run out of the pot and I need just a cup or two. We bought several of these.... www.solofill.com/ which we fill with our own ground coffee and pull out of the drawer, if needed.
We also tried the metal covers, but not as successful as the solofill. The metal covers go over used k-cups. (You can sometimes get the k-cups at good prices on Fridays on Amazon in large packs of 50.
We only provide tea after breakfast, no coffee. The coffeemaker is turned off at 10 AM.

You can find the cups for the Keurig on sale all the time for around 50 cents each. (My son & his soon to be bride got a Keurig as a wedding gift and I'm reaping the benefit of using it for a few days while I help him out before the wedding.) I just bought some coffee and tea cups at the grocery store for less than 50 cents each for it.
I have a Tassimo which was in our main house in the upstairs guest service area with a mini fridge. I only had one guy in 2 years who had an addiction to the coffee it made. He really went through the coffee! I stocked it with coffee, tea, and latte coffee. It was much appreciated and not terribly difficult to keep up with. Never had guests pocket the coffee.

A waste of money I would say no matter how cheap. I hate cake doughnuts...but I don't eat doughnuts at all anyway:) Who has the storage room for all these things. Like Alton Brown says "I never buy anything that won't multitask."

A waste of money I would say no matter how cheap. I hate cake doughnuts...but I don't eat doughnuts at all anyway:) Who has the storage room for all these things. Like Alton Brown says "I never buy anything that won't multitask."
catlady said:
Like Alton Brown says "I never buy anything that won't multitask."
LOL - I quote him all the time. The only unitasker we have is the big red cylinder (the fire extinguisher). My space is very, very limited, but I do confess to have an electric juicer - the kind that you cut the lime or lemon in half and press down to juice it - not the big extractor kind - and that's pretty much a unitasker. I was going to get rid of it one day, and realized just how much time it saves me. We go through a LOT of fresh lime juice here. I buy large bags of them and juice them and then pour the juice into re-usable water bottles.

Do the K cups store well? Maybe i want one for home as I almost never drink coffee but I have some friends and family who do but my coffee is always stale or out.

Do the K cups store well? Maybe i want one for home as I almost never drink coffee but I have some friends and family who do but my coffee is always stale or out..
They store well enough, plastic and foil sealed. Some of the pod machines (Sensao and the like) have individually wrapped pods (Reunion Island) which stay well, but not if they aren't individually wrapped.
Nespresso pods are dated (they make espresso, but you can simply add water if you want cafe americano) but they don't really expire, since they are 100% vacuum packed.

re doughnuts - JB, I have four of these (four will fit in my oven at once, voila, two dozen doughnuts). Cake doughnuts are NOT raised doughtnuts, no argument here, but it's the creativity factor that you can grasp - the biggest hits were my rosemary-strawberry doughnuts with lemon glaze. No one knew what they were, but I don't think they could think and eat that fast.
That said, it's not the simplest thing in the world. Muffins are simpler (but lack the "ooo-yum-doughnuts" factor -- even though I use the same batter). I only make them when I get a "notion."
I will say - I made harvest spice dougnuts with chocolate glaze recently (I think beg of Nov...my brain is gone), very big hit.
In the end though, it's about whether or not people are happy (enough) with muffin shapes.

re doughnuts - JB, I have four of these (four will fit in my oven at once, voila, two dozen doughnuts). Cake doughnuts are NOT raised doughtnuts, no argument here, but it's the creativity factor that you can grasp - the biggest hits were my rosemary-strawberry doughnuts with lemon glaze. No one knew what they were, but I don't think they could think and eat that fast.
That said, it's not the simplest thing in the world. Muffins are simpler (but lack the "ooo-yum-doughnuts" factor -- even though I use the same batter). I only make them when I get a "notion."
I will say - I made harvest spice dougnuts with chocolate glaze recently (I think beg of Nov...my brain is gone), very big hit.
In the end though, it's about whether or not people are happy (enough) with muffin shapes..
"In the end though, it's about whether or not people are happy (enough) with muffin shapes"
But see I don't make muffins. I gave it up a long time ago. A prelty glazed do-not is what I am after, not a simple cake donut, I am talking about those pretty dunkin donuts with the chopped nuts etc (and no we don't even have a dunkin donuts). :) Just like the RESURGENCE OF THE CUPCAKE which is now past it's shelf life in the USA and big overseas the donut seems to be coming back!
I thought if the little do-not maker made a handful at a time then that would be grand. I am not wanting to make a ton of them, that is not what I am asking, just a handful for say 2 rooms. I can make yeast do-nots for a crowd.
cute-donuts-doughnuts-food-photography-pretty-Favim.com-99191.jpg

In the end though, it's about whether or not people are happy (enough) with muffin shapes..
"In the end though, it's about whether or not people are happy (enough) with muffin shapes"
But see I don't make muffins. I gave it up a long time ago. A prelty glazed do-not is what I am after, not a simple cake donut, I am talking about those pretty dunkin donuts with the chopped nuts etc (and no we don't even have a dunkin donuts). :) Just like the RESURGENCE OF THE CUPCAKE which is now past it's shelf life in the USA and big overseas the donut seems to be coming back!
I thought if the little do-not maker made a handful at a time then that would be grand. I am not wanting to make a ton of them, that is not what I am asking, just a handful for say 2 rooms. I can make yeast do-nots for a crowd.
cute-donuts-doughnuts-food-photography-pretty-Favim.com-99191.jpg

I should never have opened this tread... I had to stop myself from trying to reach into that picture
cry_smile.gif
One of those (any one) would go well with my cup of tea right now.
JB - get bakin' I'm on my way!

Well, if you really want doughnuts...the reason I ended up getting the extra pans (I think I started with one...) was that one batch of batter makes a dozen doughnuts. If I wanted more than one flavor, I ended up with a lot of doughnuts. And, IME, frozen & thawed, they aren't the same. I haven't had the patience to figure out a smaller recipe. But a "half" recipe would make 6 doughnuts of a flavor.
Glazes/toppings are a matter of practice. For me, it's easier to make smaller quantities of glaze than batter. Or maybe I like too much glaze on each doughnut.
If you want to try it - I think now's the time. We saw some of the doughnut makers for real cheap at WM this week.

Back