Single guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I just wanted to personally thank a few here on the forum who in the past have shared some of their "traveling alone" adventures with us. I am so cognisant of this now, I would like to fill every room at the inn with solo guests!
I remember being told by one innmate about sitting alone at the table while the hosts engaged the other couples and left her out of the equation, or made no additional allowances for someone on their own. I feel I have really cottoned onto this now, and am actually delighted when we have a single guest (whether married or not, they are here on their own), and am able to make their stay extra special! (It is sort of like Tipsy Butler when she has children show up, she pulls out all the stops!)
We had one such visitor this weekend, I blogged it with his permission. He has rebooked for October when he and his wife get back from Scotland and she is in South Africa, so he will come back on his own and see us.
So all that to say THANKS EVERYONE! I do listen and learn. Sometimes I don't comment or nothing happensimmediately from what y'all say here, but I have tucked it away for a later date...
Now go back to work with a smile, making your guests happy as pie.
wink_smile.gif

I hear you. I agree with you. DH and I disagree on this one. I have traveled solo most of my life and HATE it when I walk into a breakfast room and there is one table set for one. I don't have a choice. THEY have chosen my table for me (often in the corner). DH thinks that setting a table for one will make that person feel recognized.
When I have a house full of couples and singles I set all the tables for two so the single guest doesn't feel like they have no choice. DH says that setting all the tables for two makes the single guest feel lonely .... as if they don't count unless they are with someone.
OK - time for everyone to add their own opinions .......
Side note .... showing my age ..... but I always get one single phrase in my mind ... "No one puts Baby in a corner".

"No one puts Baby in a corner"
Dirty Dancing was filmed less than an hour from us. :) Come and visit, I will fill the table with laughter for you and you can visit Mountain Lake.
PS Showing your age means younger than most on the forum if you recall that line from the late 80's.
I would prefer tables set for two and just pick on, I am with you 100%. Table set for one would make me turn and leave.

I hear you. I agree with you. DH and I disagree on this one. I have traveled solo most of my life and HATE it when I walk into a breakfast room and there is one table set for one. I don't have a choice. THEY have chosen my table for me (often in the corner). DH thinks that setting a table for one will make that person feel recognized.
When I have a house full of couples and singles I set all the tables for two so the single guest doesn't feel like they have no choice. DH says that setting all the tables for two makes the single guest feel lonely .... as if they don't count unless they are with someone.
Side note .... showing my age ..... but I always get one single phrase in my mind ... "No one puts Baby in a corner"..
We set all of our tables for the full complement the table will hold. That lets everyone choose! We then remove an extra place settings. We generally find other singles won't sit with strangers unless we introduce them or they met the previous night. Couples often invite singles they have met to sit with them.
Speaking of single travelers...this morning I had the rooms all cleaned before we normally even start serving breakfast! Yeah biz travelers!

Side note .... showing my age ..... but I always get one single phrase in my mind ... "No one puts Baby in a corner"..
Interesting....I'm glad you said this. Gives me something to think about.
Since we have open seating here and a number of tables, our guests usually don't sit with other guests. Usually my tables are set for two unless I know it's a party of 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever, and then I accommodate them. I never know what to do about the 2 vs 1 question.....if I leave the tables set for two then I can't put the fruit course out before they arrive (I always know approx. breakfast times on my guests), so sometimes I decide which table is the one and which is/are the twos. Makes it prettier when folks arrive.
Other times I leave the tables all set for two, and whoever gets there first chooses their table and then I remove the other setting.
I guess the more I think about it, I do prefer to leave them twos and then bring the first course out after they've come down. (Sometimes if I have a table all set with fruit course, coffee carafe, water poured, etc.....the folks come down and wander over to a table that's not "ready" because they think that beautiful table is not for them!)
People who don't do this for a living have no idea how complicated every little decision can be!
teeth_smile.gif

We set all of our tables for the full complement the table will hold. That lets everyone choose! We then remove an extra place settings. We generally find other singles won't sit with strangers unless we introduce them or they met the previous night. Couples often invite singles they have met to sit with them.
Speaking of single travelers...this morning I had the rooms all cleaned before we normally even start serving breakfast! Yeah biz travelers!
Yes! Me too. Hated serving 5 folks breakfast at 7, but love the fact that the FIVE ROOMS (love those single biz travelers!) are OUT of the house by 7:45.
thumbs_up.gif

Since we sit everyone at a single table at the same time, we omit the isolation factor. If the single traveler is our ONLY guest, then we will usually engage them, make them feel welcome and even sit down and have a cup of coffee with them if they ask.
There are different reasons why people travel alone. Some are on business. Some like the solitude. And some, I've found are starving for human interaction. That's why they chose a B&B over a hotel in the first place.

Interesting....I'm glad you said this. Gives me something to think about.
Since we have open seating here and a number of tables, our guests usually don't sit with other guests. Usually my tables are set for two unless I know it's a party of 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever, and then I accommodate them. I never know what to do about the 2 vs 1 question.....if I leave the tables set for two then I can't put the fruit course out before they arrive (I always know approx. breakfast times on my guests), so sometimes I decide which table is the one and which is/are the twos. Makes it prettier when folks arrive.
Other times I leave the tables all set for two, and whoever gets there first chooses their table and then I remove the other setting.
I guess the more I think about it, I do prefer to leave them twos and then bring the first course out after they've come down. (Sometimes if I have a table all set with fruit course, coffee carafe, water poured, etc.....the folks come down and wander over to a table that's not "ready" because they think that beautiful table is not for them!)
People who don't do this for a living have no idea how complicated every little decision can be!
teeth_smile.gif

InnBloom said:
teeth_smile.gif
Another thing we find is that if the table has food on it the next guests to arrive think someone has 'claimed' that table so they sit elsewhere. We do get table claimers who put their coffee and keys and phone on the table and then wander off.

It is the same with our one large table, if I set 4 places someone will pick a seat with no place setting. go figure.
The one thing, in this same discussion, having one large table, I do not do and DH doesn't understand. I never place a single guest at the head of the table. It is better for a couple to sit end table and one to the side, and have the single guest mixed in, so they are in on the conversation as well. Otherwise the end head of the table is left out when people chit chat across the table.
Yeah we are heavy thinkers on this forum! But it is because we care.
I did this today, as DH sat with our guests visiting from Oz. Put them together and the man at the head and DH to the side. I have a photo on the blog if you want to read it. We don't eat with guests (unless they are innmates) but today was special. I know Kathleen P will like to see it, since we shared these guests!
Fair go the Aussies are here!

"No one puts Baby in a corner"
Dirty Dancing was filmed less than an hour from us. :) Come and visit, I will fill the table with laughter for you and you can visit Mountain Lake.
PS Showing your age means younger than most on the forum if you recall that line from the late 80's.
I would prefer tables set for two and just pick on, I am with you 100%. Table set for one would make me turn and leave..
Would this work for the long tables and short. Have a table plan.
Set out just before they all come to the tables . Telling them where they can sit .
Yes it is work.... but that way you can mix up the couples or make sure that one person is not left out in the cold. Just like weddings have table plans and place cards.

(major siidetrack)
yay starbucks! at home we have no electricity, no cable, no phone, no internet, no cell signal. drove out of town to find a starbucks with power on ... packed with cars to get
1. a hot drink
2. a hot SOMETHING to eat
3. an internet connection (had to wait for an outlet as the old laptop i borrowed has not battery) if only i could get a hot shower here!
anyway ... here i am
want to comment on the single traveler. i am alone not by choice. and if i want to go places, i go. if i want to stay at a lovely b&b, i go. b&b's are not just for couples ... and for romance. they are for people like me who don't always want to stay in a hotel with an elevator and hotel room 'ambiance' . (sp) i want the charm and the innkeeper innteraction (a little) and maybe a homemade cookie!
i love it when the innkeeper says to me 'we have choices for seating at breakfast. would you like to sit at a group table or by yourself?' because, sometimes i get blue ~ sorry but it's true ~ and the LAST thing i want to do is get weepy sitting with a bunch of people just trying to enjoy their breakfast. most times i'm fine, but chatty folks will ask if i'm married and if i answer honestly they ask what happened and blahblahblah and i can tear up. depends
i'm a great tipper, even though i'm solo -- honest!

(major siidetrack)
yay starbucks! at home we have no electricity, no cable, no phone, no internet, no cell signal. drove out of town to find a starbucks with power on ... packed with cars to get
1. a hot drink
2. a hot SOMETHING to eat
3. an internet connection (had to wait for an outlet as the old laptop i borrowed has not battery) if only i could get a hot shower here!
anyway ... here i am
want to comment on the single traveler. i am alone not by choice. and if i want to go places, i go. if i want to stay at a lovely b&b, i go. b&b's are not just for couples ... and for romance. they are for people like me who don't always want to stay in a hotel with an elevator and hotel room 'ambiance' . (sp) i want the charm and the innkeeper innteraction (a little) and maybe a homemade cookie!
i love it when the innkeeper says to me 'we have choices for seating at breakfast. would you like to sit at a group table or by yourself?' because, sometimes i get blue ~ sorry but it's true ~ and the LAST thing i want to do is get weepy sitting with a bunch of people just trying to enjoy their breakfast. most times i'm fine, but chatty folks will ask if i'm married and if i answer honestly they ask what happened and blahblahblah and i can tear up. depends
i'm a great tipper, even though i'm solo -- honest!.
SO glad you are okay!

I only have one table. I set for the number of guests in-house. When there is a single traveler chat a bit to get the "feel", provide the local birdcage liner and offer to disappear if they are morning paper people. I find I am doing that more and more with couples too. I tell them "I will leave you to plan your day. If you need anything, just let me know. I will just be in the Library."

Great advice, Joey!
Just remember that it's not a good thing to assume anything about anybody. Let them make their own decisions and they'll be happy inn guests.
I often travel on my own (and I'm married), and I enjoy meeting other people at breakfast. But, I also like alone time on the porch.

Great advice, Joey!
Just remember that it's not a good thing to assume anything about anybody. Let them make their own decisions and they'll be happy inn guests.
I often travel on my own (and I'm married), and I enjoy meeting other people at breakfast. But, I also like alone time on the porch..
Samster said:
Great advice, Joey!
I often travel on my own (and I'm married), and I enjoy meeting other people at breakfast. But, I also like alone time on the porch.
  1. We have a lady who comes here alone each year as a personal retreat.
  2. We had a young lady who had a law degree, lost her father and joined the services and went to Afghanistan. She was here alone, very contemplative and then asked us where we go to church and she attended, on her own. We didn't invite her to sit with us, we knew she just wanted to go alone.
  3. We have plenty of business guests who want to watch their reg tv shows or sports and be left alone.
  4. Single travelers just because they are going somewhere and stop over.
So for all those who want a B&B to not be alone, there are the same who want a B&B to be alone. Ironic isn't it. But it is true. If I went to a B&B on my own I would want to be alone. I mean left alone, to read to relax... (This is why we call them "getaways" and "escapes" quite literally some times!

It is the same with our one large table, if I set 4 places someone will pick a seat with no place setting. go figure.
The one thing, in this same discussion, having one large table, I do not do and DH doesn't understand. I never place a single guest at the head of the table. It is better for a couple to sit end table and one to the side, and have the single guest mixed in, so they are in on the conversation as well. Otherwise the end head of the table is left out when people chit chat across the table.
I did this today, as DH sat with our guests visiting from Oz. Put them together and the man at the head and DH to the side. I have a photo on the blog if you want to read it. We don't eat with guests (unless they are innmates) but today was special. I know Kathleen P will like to see it, since we shared these guests!
Fair go the Aussies are here!.
I liked the picture of the Vegemite. We have an Aussie here now (repeat business guest) who this trip brought us not only a bottle of Oz wine (how nice, just for us!) but also a queeze contanier of Vegemite. He doesn't want us to open it for him, but to keep it so that we can WOW future Aussie guests. How sweet is that?
regular_smile.gif

I liked the picture of the Vegemite. We have an Aussie here now (repeat business guest) who this trip brought us not only a bottle of Oz wine (how nice, just for us!) but also a queeze contanier of Vegemite. He doesn't want us to open it for him, but to keep it so that we can WOW future Aussie guests. How sweet is that?
regular_smile.gif

Award winning Hunter Valley wine?
:)
Say G'day for me. Where is he from?

Great advice, Joey!
I often travel on my own (and I'm married), and I enjoy meeting other people at breakfast. But, I also like alone time on the porch..
Samster said:
Great advice, Joey!
  2. We had a young lady who had a law degree, lost her father and joined the services and went to Afghanistan. She was here alone, very contemplative and then asked us where we go to church and she attended, on her own. We didn't invite her to sit with us, we knew she just wanted to go alone.
  3. We have plenty of business guests who want to watch their reg tv shows or sports and be left alone.
So for all those who want a B&B to not be alone, there are the same who want a B&B to be alone. Ironic isn't it. But it is true. If I went to a B&B on my own I would want to be alone. I mean left alone, to read to relax... (This is why we call them "getaways" and "escapes" quite literally some times!
I think that you've got a heads up on this whole single traveler segment - it's definitely multi-faceted.

Great advice, Joey!
Samster said:
Great advice, Joey!
OK, here's what's happened to me this week...guests here on biz. need to get in, get out, get going to a nighttime mtg. Do not mention this when they call 2 times before arriving. I am yakking. They graciously let me know they are on a deadline. OK, here's your room!
Then I see them as they are leaving. Then I see them when they come back. I felt like a third wheel. I was not TRYING to always be around but it kept happening. So, today I see them come back and I deliberately, even tho I was in the middle of something, decamp. I make myself scarce so they can get on with their biz plans!
We have to repair something in their room but we don't know when they'll be out of it again. I am not going to knock. I told them to let us know when they go out.

regular_smile.gif

I love Australia wines and was very happy to find out the Aussies think Yellow Tail is dreck as well. It is not sold there, they only ran into it here. It is a cheap export to here. (Apologies to anyone who likes it.)

Back