Single Night Surcharge?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamelon

Reaction score
We allow one-night stays Sunday - Thursday, even in high season. I'd like to institute a $35 surcharge to cover our added housekeeping costs. Have any of you done this? What do you think about it? Thanks.

I charge $14 extra for a one-night stay. Makes be about $1000/year. In 10 years, ($10,000) nobody has complained about the extra charge.

If you're one of the few places in town to allow 1-night stays, you'll find you're pretty busy, and no one will complain about the added charge since you're their only option.

I hope to fill all rooms on weekends and weekends require both nights. If we are a day or two prior to the weekend the system will allow a single night with a small surcharge [$10] if a room is still available.

We do require 2 nights on all weekends, 3 on holiday weekends. As we get within a week of arrival if we have some open rooms, we'll relax it to 1 and 2.

Weekdays are usually 1 nights for main rooms, 2 nights for our larger suites that require more housekeeping.

During the busy season we charge $10-$20 more for a single night if we decide to make it available or take the reservation. This is on top of yield management price changes based on demand. We usually don't upcharge if it is a repeat guest (that we like :) ) making an inquiry.

Those that are requiring 2 nite minimum in busy season; are you located in resort/destination? We tend to get many 1 nite stopovers for guests that are traveling 8 hours or more to a final destination. Yet, like the idea of an upcharge, as all the turnover is a killer when busy.

Those that are requiring 2 nite minimum in busy season; are you located in resort/destination? We tend to get many 1 nite stopovers for guests that are traveling 8 hours or more to a final destination. Yet, like the idea of an upcharge, as all the turnover is a killer when busy.
Resort/destination area, once my own vacation destination in the mountains. My reasoning and upcharge are probably different from others. Old and slow, couldn't manage the daily flip of one night on the weekend. Nice tiny mom & pop, probably stay both nights with me for little more than one night at some of the local places on a busy weekend. Hopefully I usually get both nights if people are in the area. My up charge is just to cover the extra linen expense if there is an orphan room. I think there are times I could charge more, yet I am happy at what we do, enjoy our guests. I would rather have nice folks that return than try to squeeze the last nickel out of my guests.

Back