Single seating breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We serve a single seating breakfast for all three rooms at 9am. The signifigant other does the cooking and I do the fresh fruit, juice, condiments, etc., and then help him serve it all at once. He does alot of baked items (big pan of cherry cream cheese french toast, or maybe a big baked omelette); that is a BIG BIG help. Just cut into pieces, top with whatever goes on top, plate with a tater side, a meat and fresh fruit, maybe a muffin or toast for egg dishes. No pain, no strain. Everything, including the meat and the potatoes are done in the oven and come out at the same time.
Guests rave about our baked stuffed french toast, and it could not be easier. He often puts it together at night and just pulls out of the fridge and pops in the oven in the morning.
BTW, I love PROUD TEXAN'S comment: "HOT at 8:30, WARM at 8:45, COLD at 9:00." While we rarely get anyone late to the table, that's a good reminder, and funny.
Bree, I would be happy to email you a couple of his baked french toast and egg dish recipes if you'd like..
Little Blue Inn said:
We serve a single seating breakfast for all three rooms at 9am. The signifigant other does the cooking and I do the fresh fruit, juice, condiments, etc., and then help him serve it all at once. He does alot of baked items (big pan of cherry cream cheese french toast, or maybe a big baked omelette); that is a BIG BIG help. Just cut into pieces, top with whatever goes on top, plate with a tater side, a meat and fresh fruit, maybe a muffin or toast for egg dishes. No pain, no strain. Everything, including the meat and the potatoes are done in the oven and come out at the same time.
Guests rave about our baked stuffed french toast, and it could not be easier. He often puts it together at night and just pulls out of the fridge and pops in the oven in the morning.
BTW, I love PROUD TEXAN'S comment: "HOT at 8:30, WARM at 8:45, COLD at 9:00." While we rarely get anyone late to the table, that's a good reminder, and funny.
Bree, I would be happy to email you a couple of his baked french toast and egg dish recipes if you'd like.
I have that original quote here:
'Breakfast is at 8:30 a.m., by 9:00 it gets soggy, by 9:30 a.m., I eat it!'

I have always felt the same how do you NOT do a single seating breakfast? How it must take up half your day to do multiple seatings. Plus I don't want someone sitting down without their place setting made up, so that means you have to clean up while you are going.
Typically one seating makes for happy camping and you can really take as long as you like as they are having coffee, chatting and you actually interrupt to serve the food or remove plates. I love full tables, it is my favorite part of the whole BnB environment here. Heck when I have something to serve to the whole table everyone jumps in and helps (like monkey bread or something I serve communally. If I pull it apart in advance and plate it it loses it attraction, in fact it looks kinda grotesque). As mentioned on other forums topics, I boost up the music, it is no longer background, and everyone enjoys it.
Okay I read the other comments before I click post - flying solo is exatly the reason I do one seating! Majority iof my meals are all solo. In fact Leaf season is my most popular time and I am solo the entire time. Coffee is on the table, another pot is being made and I have courses to serve which buys me time for the main course and guests talk and it is a great time. I BURN things when there is one couple and they want to talk to ME and I need to cook and serve and they won't let me do my thing in the morning.

As with many things we talk about here, there is no one sure proof answer. The key here is to find what works best for you. If something is not flowing right, it is nice to be able to come on here and see how others are doing it to develop your own method.
As I stated before, I am not a short order cook....never do well under pressure. Others of you would never consider doing it any other way. God bless ya!
My casseroles do well for an hour span but with large crowds I will stagger baking times as it is rare everyone comes down all at once. I have nixed recipes that do not hold up well for those that do.
I would prefer having one seating time and be done with it but here I find guests like the little flexibility provided (some would like a little more).

When we have folks all show up at the same time (can be up to 10 seated), I can manage something like French Toast fine. They are usually working on their baked good or fruit course, so FT is cooked and kept warm in the warming oven and then plated and served.
Staggered breakfasts are sometimes more of a challenge for me because it needs to be something that you can sort of "cook to order" (like FT, pancakes, waffles, omelets, frittatas, etc.) and I want the other courses to be fresh. To me, breakfast casserole type dishes never do well being hot-held over an hour and a half.
sad_smile.gif

The secret for me is prepping some things the night before and getting up early in plenty of time to make the breakfast.
regular_smile.gif
Staggered breakfasts are sometimes more of a challenge for me because it needs to be something that you can sort of "cook to order" (like FT, pancakes, waffles, omelets, frittatas, etc.) and I want the other courses to be fresh. To me, breakfast casserole type dishes never do well being hot-held over an hour and a half.
sad_smile.gif

Who holds them? I mix up what is needed for all. If breakfasts are half hour apart, one comes ot to be served and the other goes in to bake (egg bakes and English muffin bread bake for 30 min.) If longer, I just have to remember to get them in the oven on schedule if chatting with the guests. Same with my other dishes such as bread pudding and baked pineapple toast. Wednesday, I had 1 for 7:30 and 2 for 8. The 7:30 was in a small casserole dish and the 2 was in a larger one. Pancakes only if 1 or 2 people or really staggered as they are done "now".
Remember, you are only cooking for a few rooms. I can have up to 14 guests so I can't mix up & store that many eggs in the fridge along with fruit dishes and so forth.
I have an awesome Stuffed French Toast w/Fresh Peaches Recipe that serves about a dozen people when cooked in a 9x13" pan though.
tounge_smile.gif

I must not be good at baking and holding those casseroles. They are never as moist or as poufy as they should be by the last guests.
sad_smile.gif

Don't know what FT is. You ought to try that crepe recipe I posted. It's very easy to make ahead and then bake off. Do you guys have something against crepes?.
Crepes are great. I've never made them tho.
FT is french toast.
I wasn't good at crepes before I found this recipe. They were thin and would always break when I tried to roll them. I think it is the exta yolk in this one that makes them sturdier and more flexible.
If we did crepes (and I want to) we'd do ployes. Buckwheat crepes in the French Canadian tradition.
What do you stuff those with?
SweetiePie said:
The only difference is the flour used. You can stuff them with anything. I need to ask hubs what his mother used to put in them. This is the place I would buy the flour mix from, they have some recipes on their website.

I have always felt the same how do you NOT do a single seating breakfast? How it must take up half your day to do multiple seatings. Plus I don't want someone sitting down without their place setting made up, so that means you have to clean up while you are going.
Typically one seating makes for happy camping and you can really take as long as you like as they are having coffee, chatting and you actually interrupt to serve the food or remove plates. I love full tables, it is my favorite part of the whole BnB environment here. Heck when I have something to serve to the whole table everyone jumps in and helps (like monkey bread or something I serve communally. If I pull it apart in advance and plate it it loses it attraction, in fact it looks kinda grotesque). As mentioned on other forums topics, I boost up the music, it is no longer background, and everyone enjoys it.
Okay I read the other comments before I click post - flying solo is exatly the reason I do one seating! Majority iof my meals are all solo. In fact Leaf season is my most popular time and I am solo the entire time. Coffee is on the table, another pot is being made and I have courses to serve which buys me time for the main course and guests talk and it is a great time. I BURN things when there is one couple and they want to talk to ME and I need to cook and serve and they won't let me do my thing in the morning..
You know my layout is wide open kitcehn to dining room. I CAN talk while cooking (when I cook) but not when I have everyone at once! Because I have separate tables I think the seat yourself style works for me. I can clean a table if need be but it's not messy right next to someone's elbow if I don't get to it right away.
I just felt rushed this morning even tho I said to myself, 'You're just one person, take a deep breath and just cook.' I guess if I were a good cook I could do this more easily. Stuff was starting to pile up behind me...cobbler was out of the oven on the stove so taking up space I needed to start the sausage. Trying to get the whipped cream on top and deliver before the whipped cream melted into the dish. I flipped a lsice of FT onto the counter right off the griddle, so I had to slow down. Ran out of egg mixture for the last 3 slices, trying to crack eggs and flip FT and mind sausage.
That's why I am amazed that so many of you do this solo all the time! I guess with experience I would be better. But I wouldn't take 'requests' if I were on my own. So, I've walked half a mile in your shoes today!
I've done this myself with a full house and no one wanting to wait to eat so there were guests eating in the living room, too. THAT'S a zoo!

When we have folks all show up at the same time (can be up to 10 seated), I can manage something like French Toast fine. They are usually working on their baked good or fruit course, so FT is cooked and kept warm in the warming oven and then plated and served.
sad_smile.gif

The secret for me is prepping some things the night before and getting up early in plenty of time to make the breakfast.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Who holds them? I mix up what is needed for all. If breakfasts are half hour apart, one comes ot to be served and the other goes in to bake (egg bakes and English muffin bread bake for 30 min.) If longer, I just have to remember to get them in the oven on schedule if chatting with the guests. Same with my other dishes such as bread pudding and baked pineapple toast. Wednesday, I had 1 for 7:30 and 2 for 8. The 7:30 was in a small casserole dish and the 2 was in a larger one. Pancakes only if 1 or 2 people or really staggered as they are done "now".
Remember, you are only cooking for a few rooms. I can have up to 14 guests so I can't mix up & store that many eggs in the fridge along with fruit dishes and so forth.
I have an awesome Stuffed French Toast w/Fresh Peaches Recipe that serves about a dozen people when cooked in a 9x13" pan though.
tounge_smile.gif

I must not be good at baking and holding those casseroles. They are never as moist or as poufy as they should be by the last guests.
sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
Absolutely. The last guests are basically getting leftovers. But they chose to sleep! I don't like the way our casserole dishes look by 9:30. Compared to what they looked like at 8, they are deflated and sorry.

Okay I read the other comments before I click post - flying solo is exatly the reason I do one seating! Majority iof my meals are all solo. In fact Leaf season is my most popular time and I am solo the entire time. Coffee is on the table, another pot is being made and I have courses to serve which buys me time for the main course and guests talk and it is a great time. I BURN things when there is one couple and they want to talk to ME and I need to cook and serve and they won't let me do my thing in the morning..
You know my layout is wide open kitcehn to dining room. I CAN talk while cooking (when I cook) but not when I have everyone at once! Because I have separate tables I think the seat yourself style works for me. I can clean a table if need be but it's not messy right next to someone's elbow if I don't get to it right away.
I just felt rushed this morning even tho I said to myself, 'You're just one person, take a deep breath and just cook.' I guess if I were a good cook I could do this more easily. Stuff was starting to pile up behind me...cobbler was out of the oven on the stove so taking up space I needed to start the sausage. Trying to get the whipped cream on top and deliver before the whipped cream melted into the dish. I flipped a lsice of FT onto the counter right off the griddle, so I had to slow down. Ran out of egg mixture for the last 3 slices, trying to crack eggs and flip FT and mind sausage.
That's why I am amazed that so many of you do this solo all the time! I guess with experience I would be better. But I wouldn't take 'requests' if I were on my own. So, I've walked half a mile in your shoes today!
I've done this myself with a full house and no one wanting to wait to eat so there were guests eating in the living room, too. THAT'S a zoo!
You definitely have a challenge because of space & exposure. You can't say aw shit when something goes flying! haha! I'm sure that you did fine :)

You definitely have a challenge because of space & exposure. You can't say aw shit when something goes flying! haha! I'm sure that you did fine :)
There I'm standing saying to self, 'No one saw that, don't turn around, no one saw that.'

sad_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
I have settled on two that work really well. We serve from 8:30 to 9:30. You can give yourself a little leeway by noting that even if they sit down at 8:30, they won't be to mains until 8:45 once they have coffee, juice and the fruit course. So you can schedule things to do in the oven to be really done at 8:45. Don't do anything poufy - that's why I've replaced egg casseroles with the cheesy potato pie. It doesn't fall and holds really well. The baked french toast isn't poufy either.
Anyone who sits down after 9:30 is lucky to get a breakfast so I don't feel bad if it's not as attractive.
chef.gif

sad_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
I have settled on two that work really well. We serve from 8:30 to 9:30. You can give yourself a little leeway by noting that even if they sit down at 8:30, they won't be to mains until 8:45 once they have coffee, juice and the fruit course. So you can schedule things to do in the oven to be really done at 8:45. Don't do anything poufy - that's why I've replaced egg casseroles with the cheesy potato pie. It doesn't fall and holds really well. The baked french toast isn't poufy either.
Anyone who sits down after 9:30 is lucky to get a breakfast so I don't feel bad if it's not as attractive.
chef.gif

Yep, no more souffles, they always come down late the day you make them.

sad_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
chef.gif

Willowpondgj said:
We do a baked egg dish that gets made in a muffin tin. For that I have to ask what time would they like to eat. I don't like doing that because I generally get back, 'I don't know,' and it's easier if they just roll in when they wake up. That said, almost every place I have stayed I have had to tell them when I want to eat. I would rather eat at 9:30 but that's a rare place that goes that late for brekkie. I want to sleep until 9 and THEN get up!

sad_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
chef.gif

Willowpondgj said:
We do a baked egg dish that gets made in a muffin tin. For that I have to ask what time would they like to eat. I don't like doing that because I generally get back, 'I don't know,' and it's easier if they just roll in when they wake up. That said, almost every place I have stayed I have had to tell them when I want to eat. I would rather eat at 9:30 but that's a rare place that goes that late for brekkie. I want to sleep until 9 and THEN get up!
Come here. You can have brekkie at 10 if you wish.

There I'm standing saying to self, 'No one saw that, don't turn around, no one saw that.'
teeth_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

Bree, I would be happy to email you a couple of his baked french toast and egg dish recipes if you'd like..
Little Blue Inn said:
I do the same thing I have one seating for 8 people and baked french toast with cream cheese and your choice of fruit preserves mixed in. It is one of my main dishes. It is a lifesaver. Prep the night before and store in the fridge. Wake up in the morning and pop it in the oven. The guests here rave about it as well. One pan makes 8 peices.

you know, when i'd be doing breakfast for 16 (and occasionally) 20 ... alone ... i'd be running and rushing and feeling like everyone was waiting toooo long and i'd get to the table and they'd say 'oh ... that was quick'
i learned to cheerfully announce to each entering couple or group (or try to look and sound cheerful instead of frazzled) 'i'm flying solo, so please help yourself to coffee tea and juice while i make your breakfast' .... most of the pressure i was feeling i put on MYSELF.

Don't know what FT is. You ought to try that crepe recipe I posted. It's very easy to make ahead and then bake off. Do you guys have something against crepes?.
Crepes are great. I've never made them tho.
FT is french toast.
I wasn't good at crepes before I found this recipe. They were thin and would always break when I tried to roll them. I think it is the exta yolk in this one that makes them sturdier and more flexible.
If we did crepes (and I want to) we'd do ployes. Buckwheat crepes in the French Canadian tradition.
SweetiePie said:
The only difference is the flour used. You can stuff them with anything. I need to ask hubs what his mother used to put in them. This is the place I would buy the flour mix from, they have some recipes on their website.
Bree said:
My BIL works there. He loves it. His family is getting a little sick of eating so many ployes, though ;)

Little Blue Inn said:
I do the same thing I have one seating for 8 people and baked french toast with cream cheese and your choice of fruit preserves mixed in. It is one of my main dishes. It is a lifesaver. Prep the night before and store in the fridge. Wake up in the morning and pop it in the oven. The guests here rave about it as well. One pan makes 8 peices.
oceans said:
Little Blue Inn said:
We have tried and tried the baked french toast thing and it keeps looking soggy on the bottom to us - I don't know why it looks kind of goopy to me. I have not had a recipe that I really liked and I wish i did. Maybe we are not using the right bread..
RIki

Little Blue Inn said:
oceans said:
Little Blue Inn said:
We have tried and tried the baked french toast thing and it keeps looking soggy on the bottom to us - I don't know why it looks kind of goopy to me. I have not had a recipe that I really liked and I wish i did. Maybe we are not using the right bread..
RIki
egoodell said:
The first recipe I tried had way too much liquid for me - I had to adjust the recipe some. I use 6 eggs, a little more than 1 cup of milk and thick-sliced (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch) French bread for a six-serving pan (the ubiquitous 9 x 13).

Little Blue Inn said:
Bree, I would be happy to email you a couple of his baked french toast and egg dish recipes if you'd like.
I would be very interested in receiving these receipes as well!
Riki

Back