Single seating breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I don't know how you all do a single seating breakfast! Of course today's guests all came to brekkie at the same time. The cobbler kept them happy for awhile, but trying to make FT for 6 was not easy. The griddle only does 4 servings at a time. Luckily, they weren't all at the same table! They've just gone so now off to clean the kitchen...

We tell our guests that we serve breakfast HOT at 8:30, WARM at 8:45, COLD at 9:00. I'm glad we're small because single seating works for us. We're usually more flexible with the time if we only have one couple staying with us.

Don't know what FT is. You ought to try that crepe recipe I posted. It's very easy to make ahead and then bake off. Do you guys have something against crepes?

You could try a baked french toast for larger parties...or get an electric griddle to make twice as much at once, or to start it earlier and keep it warm...

Don't know what FT is. You ought to try that crepe recipe I posted. It's very easy to make ahead and then bake off. Do you guys have something against crepes?.
SweetiePie said:
Don't know what FT is. You ought to try that crepe recipe I posted. It's very easy to make ahead and then bake off. Do you guys have something against crepes?
FT=French Toast
Not crepes. Asparagus.......yuck!

Don't know what FT is. You ought to try that crepe recipe I posted. It's very easy to make ahead and then bake off. Do you guys have something against crepes?.
SweetiePie said:
FT=French Toast
Thanks for the update. You could always alter the ingredients and offer TexMex crepes.

Gosh, I've only ever done one sitting and have 6 - 8 people every morning. I couldn't imagine having to do different breakfast times. Well, I have on one or two occasions when I've been coerced but I don't like it. I don't do 'short order' breakfasts so perhaps that's what makes it easier??

SweetiePie said:
FT=French Toast
Proud Texan said:
SweetiePie said:
FT=French Toast
Not Asparagus. Chicken for breakfast....ewwww

Crepes are great. I've never made them tho.
FT is french toast.

I have a 1 our time frame for breakfast and they can come down any time within that hour. I do not do the short order stuff either, I am just not that good at cooking under pressure. I serve mostly baked souffle's or casseroles (single serving size baking dishes unless I am full) or my baked bread pudding (similar to yours GH). I think that what is being prepared has a whole lot to do with the time alloted for serving. Sweetie, I have done crepes too...they are one of the few things I can prepare ahead.
This last week I had a couple (only room for 2 nights) that said they liked simple breakfasts...My kitchen was a disaster after that...usually our guests comment if seeing the kitchen - when did you cook all that?
Can't do any seafood in the early am..- cooking or eating! But if I did a brunch, I would be all over it.

You could try a baked french toast for larger parties...or get an electric griddle to make twice as much at once, or to start it earlier and keep it warm....
Willowpondgj said:
You could try a baked french toast for larger parties...or get an electric griddle to make twice as much at once, or to start it earlier and keep it warm...
It's usually not a big deal except when we have something planned that is 'cook to order' meaning that it gets cooked when the guests sit down. I was using the oven for the cobbler so did not want to try to time that with an oven dish. Plus, it would mean getting up way earlier than I want to!
More to the point is I don't know how 'lone' innkeepers do this single seating. If everyone had staggered themselves, I could have gotten to talk with them. As it was they all showed up at once and all I was doing was 'slinging hash'. I'm flying solo today so kind of glad it was just the 6 of them!

FT is french toast.
I wasn't good at crepes before I found this recipe. They were thin and would always break when I tried to roll them. I think it is the exta yolk in this one that makes them sturdier and more flexible.

We serve a single seating breakfast for all three rooms at 9am. The signifigant other does the cooking and I do the fresh fruit, juice, condiments, etc., and then help him serve it all at once. He does alot of baked items (big pan of cherry cream cheese french toast, or maybe a big baked omelette); that is a BIG BIG help. Just cut into pieces, top with whatever goes on top, plate with a tater side, a meat and fresh fruit, maybe a muffin or toast for egg dishes. No pain, no strain. Everything, including the meat and the potatoes are done in the oven and come out at the same time.
Guests rave about our baked stuffed french toast, and it could not be easier. He often puts it together at night and just pulls out of the fridge and pops in the oven in the morning.
BTW, I love PROUD TEXAN'S comment: "HOT at 8:30, WARM at 8:45, COLD at 9:00." While we rarely get anyone late to the table, that's a good reminder, and funny.
Bree, I would be happy to email you a couple of his baked french toast and egg dish recipes if you'd like.

FT is french toast.
I wasn't good at crepes before I found this recipe. They were thin and would always break when I tried to roll them. I think it is the exta yolk in this one that makes them sturdier and more flexible.
If we did crepes (and I want to) we'd do ployes. Buckwheat crepes in the French Canadian tradition.

When we have folks all show up at the same time (can be up to 10 seated), I can manage something like French Toast fine. They are usually working on their baked good or fruit course, so FT is cooked and kept warm in the warming oven and then plated and served.
Staggered breakfasts are sometimes more of a challenge for me because it needs to be something that you can sort of "cook to order" (like FT, pancakes, waffles, omelets, frittatas, etc.) and I want the other courses to be fresh. To me, breakfast casserole type dishes never do well being hot-held over an hour and a half.
sad_smile.gif

The secret for me is prepping some things the night before and getting up early in plenty of time to make the breakfast.
regular_smile.gif

FT is french toast.
If we did crepes (and I want to) we'd do ployes. Buckwheat crepes in the French Canadian tradition.
What do you stuff those with?

FT is french toast.
I've made crepes but usually when we have only a few guests. Same with Swirt's yummy Dutch Babies. They can both be tricky to get out to the guests and be just right...

When we have folks all show up at the same time (can be up to 10 seated), I can manage something like French Toast fine. They are usually working on their baked good or fruit course, so FT is cooked and kept warm in the warming oven and then plated and served.
Staggered breakfasts are sometimes more of a challenge for me because it needs to be something that you can sort of "cook to order" (like FT, pancakes, waffles, omelets, frittatas, etc.) and I want the other courses to be fresh. To me, breakfast casserole type dishes never do well being hot-held over an hour and a half.
sad_smile.gif

The secret for me is prepping some things the night before and getting up early in plenty of time to make the breakfast.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

Who holds them? I mix up what is needed for all. If breakfasts are half hour apart, one comes ot to be served and the other goes in to bake (egg bakes and English muffin bread bake for 30 min.) If longer, I just have to remember to get them in the oven on schedule if chatting with the guests. Same with my other dishes such as bread pudding and baked pineapple toast. Wednesday, I had 1 for 7:30 and 2 for 8. The 7:30 was in a small casserole dish and the 2 was in a larger one. Pancakes only if 1 or 2 people or really staggered as they are done "now".

gillumhouse said:
Who holds them?
I do. I don't ask guests to sign up for a specific time, and I don't plan to any time in the near future. They can come down any time during the breakfast hour and I have two or three baked dishes that hold well for an hour if you don't overcook them at the start. Baked french toast and the cheesy potato pie both hold really well for an hour, either in a turned-off oven, warming drawer or convection oven on warming.

FT is french toast.
What do you stuff those with?
In the distant past, I worked for a crepe restaurant in South London. It was a dinner house, and they were stuffed with just about anything you could imagine...vegetable or meat stuffings with a variety of sauces....mmmm. Would love to do them too.
My favorite morning pancakes are buckwheat. Few breakfast places seem to do them in our area.
KathleenM

Back