Sit in the room for 3 days?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Guests are here for 3 days. 3 guests in 1 room. Only 1 came for brekkie today, the others were either sleeping or didn't want what we were serving. The one who came didn't want to talk to anyone. I didn't realize this at first because I was busy and running among the tables. Then I got it. Everytime I asked a question she looked at me like I was some sort of bug that suddenly spoke English.
After brekkie they went out for an hour. Now they have been sitting in the room, all 3 of them, for 8 hours. No TV. It's a beautiful day out. At least sit outside and get some fresh air! All of the windows are closed up tight.
This I never understand. I might come back to the room and nap in the afternoon when I'm on vacation, just because that's a novelty, but to sit inside all day long when there are nice chairs outside in the sun and in the shade? I don't get it. Why drive 6 hours in to sit in a small B&B room? With 2 other people.
I guess I feel these folks aren't getting the full experience! Altho, I do have a couple who come every year and spend 4 days in their room. They order in. They eat brekkie and go right back to the room. They have told us this is the only time they have to themselves. Totally understandable. But they are ALONE. They are not sharing the room with another adult.

Three of them 3 days all day, huh?
confused_smile.gif
or maybe
omg_smile.gif

I hate it when guests don't talk to others at breakfast. It makes the others uncomfortable as well as us.
I'm honestly thinking of putting a new line on our check in sheet saying
We wish to dine with other guests at breakfast yes no
We wish to dine alone at breakfast yes no
That way I could have a little table at the side or in a side room for unfriendly guests. Ha!

I hate it when guests don't talk to others at breakfast. It makes the others uncomfortable as well as us.
I'm honestly thinking of putting a new line on our check in sheet saying
We wish to dine with other guests at breakfast yes no
We wish to dine alone at breakfast yes no
That way I could have a little table at the side or in a side room for unfriendly guests. Ha!.
But do you have a way to seat all your guests at individual tables? Sometimes, it seems there is a table full of non talkers or one will site at one end of the large table when there are only 2 guests in the place.

did they book online? did they give a reason for their visit?
someone in the group (or more than one someone) not feeling well?
a disagreement?
grieving people?
people in some kind of crisis?
hard to say.

did they book online? did they give a reason for their visit?
someone in the group (or more than one someone) not feeling well?
a disagreement?
grieving people?
people in some kind of crisis?
hard to say..
Vacation.

Could be they are dealing with something very sad or tragic and don't want to share the info. We had guests here who acted the same way and then they told us they were here for a funeral. Very sad.

Maybe one was feeling ill and the others are guilted in to not going out and having any fun. I had this last week a lady who moped around and complained how sick she was after getting heat exhaustion in another state. I WISH she had stayed in her room, every conversation led back to her and her not feeling well. It was unbearable.

Maybe it's an intervention of some sort..
SweetiePie said:
Maybe it's an intervention of some sort.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
at the Inn???
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
SweetiePie said:
Maybe it's an intervention of some sort.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
at the Inn???
Gotta do it somewhere... I've heard of a cult situation (actually, it was technically an abusive Christian organization) where the parents picked up their daughter under a different premise then took her somewhere to get deprogrammed.... although I grant it probably wasn't a B&B or inn...
=)
Kk.

We get alot of younger couples, and so guests staying in the room quietly all day is no suprise to us. They often come to the table looking like they just rolled off the bed. Interestingly enough, these guests are often the most fun at the breakfast table. After breakfast, they head right back to bed. I don't hear from them again until they leave for dinner.,,,no TV, no talking, no lights showing under the door.
That really bugged me in the beginning, what could they be doing in there (ALL DAY, and SO quietly) until several at checkout complained that they had to leave the featherbed, go home and pick up the baby from Grandma.
AHA, says I. But three adults? I would probably hover around in the hallway all day, wondering and worrying about what might be happening! Did they bring alot of books? Often our all-dayers are reading when they're not sleeping.

We get alot of younger couples, and so guests staying in the room quietly all day is no suprise to us. They often come to the table looking like they just rolled off the bed. Interestingly enough, these guests are often the most fun at the breakfast table. After breakfast, they head right back to bed. I don't hear from them again until they leave for dinner.,,,no TV, no talking, no lights showing under the door.
That really bugged me in the beginning, what could they be doing in there (ALL DAY, and SO quietly) until several at checkout complained that they had to leave the featherbed, go home and pick up the baby from Grandma.
AHA, says I. But three adults? I would probably hover around in the hallway all day, wondering and worrying about what might be happening! Did they bring alot of books? Often our all-dayers are reading when they're not sleeping..
Yep, I have had couples who do nothing but lay in bed and watch movies for an entire weekend. They are in high profile D.C. jobs, never have time to just relax so that is a real treat for them to "veg out" and do nothing...or whatever.

Back