Six Ways to Deal with Small Business Stress

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"It's almost as if those of us who are doing well get slammed. If I come across as a know it all, I apologize, it's just that I know from experience that a small inn can be not only a lifestyle, but also profitable. It saddens me when I read about people struggling so much and then refusing suggestions from others.
I have a suggestion...if any of us just want to vent for venting sake, go for it. But let us know you're just blowing off steam."
These are the reasons people get irritated. Guess what, there are others on this forum who are having their best year yet! SURPRISED? We just don't keep saying it over and over to push our weight around.
It has nothing to do with "If you are doing well or if you are not doing well" SHEESH!!!!!!!! It's called innkeeping, innkeeping! I had three guests hugs this morning at check out...others maybe had a drunk this morning who no showed for breakfast, it is not the innkeeper that dictates the happy go luckies at our B&B's. People are people. No one has cornered the perfect guest market.
So we can say "We are only positive" but then type this stuff that ticks others off. CAPICHE. We will make sure we let others know in the future if the post in the "Chat Vent Laugh and Cry" thread that it is a chat, vent laugh or cry comment from now on..
I hope that by titling my other thread "Idiots" it was obvious I would be venting
wink_smile.gif

Honestly, I mostly only vent here...try to share when something positive happens but it's when bad stuff happens that I need someone who can appreciate it to listen. So please, please ignore me if you find my rants offensive, they are really not meant to be!

"It's almost as if those of us who are doing well get slammed. If I come across as a know it all, I apologize, it's just that I know from experience that a small inn can be not only a lifestyle, but also profitable. It saddens me when I read about people struggling so much and then refusing suggestions from others.
I have a suggestion...if any of us just want to vent for venting sake, go for it. But let us know you're just blowing off steam."
These are the reasons people get irritated. Guess what, there are others on this forum who are having their best year yet! SURPRISED? We just don't keep saying it over and over to push our weight around.
It has nothing to do with "If you are doing well or if you are not doing well" SHEESH!!!!!!!! It's called innkeeping, innkeeping! I had three guests hugs this morning at check out...others maybe had a drunk this morning who no showed for breakfast, it is not the innkeeper that dictates the happy go luckies at our B&B's. People are people. No one has cornered the perfect guest market.
So we can say "We are only positive" but then type this stuff that ticks others off. CAPICHE. We will make sure we let others know in the future if the post in the "Chat Vent Laugh and Cry" thread that it is a chat, vent laugh or cry comment from now on..
I hope that by titling my other thread "Idiots" it was obvious I would be venting
wink_smile.gif

Honestly, I mostly only vent here...try to share when something positive happens but it's when bad stuff happens that I need someone who can appreciate it to listen. So please, please ignore me if you find my rants offensive, they are really not meant to be!
Since you put it in the appropriate topic - and that is where several of the other rants have landed as well - I don't think it needs any more labelling. I personally don't believe you can keep all the bad people in the world away from your doorstep - as you well know since we have shared at least one set of PITAs. Better to vent here than in the living room!

I Capiche alright.
My venting comment was not ment as snarky, it was tongue in cheek to mean if you want to just vent and not have the rest of the group try to find a solution, but to just get it out of your system and get "poor baby" responses, that's great, just let us know. Nothing more, nothing less.
I have commented about our success during topics where I read statements like "you can't make a living with a small b&b" or "everyone is hurting" or giving the impression that a small b&b can only be a hobby or lifestyle choice. It happens over and over on here. Most of the time those comments are being said to a new member and I have felt like I needed to give the opposite/positive voice. A new member will talk about buying an existing inn and others will shout doom and gloom that they'll lose the repeat guests. You may have heard it before that we are successful, but that new member who is being told it can't happen with a small place hasn't. And no, I'm not surprised others are doing well. How about putting some of those positive vibes out there! I often feel like I'm alone when I say it's still possible to achieve in this industry. I'm certainly not trying to rub it in or throw my weight around and I'm sorry it's come off that way.
I obviously have to take responsibility that I have not been able to communicate in a way I want, but it seems that some out there are picking apart my words and instead of giving me the benefit of the doubt, would rather interpret what I say towards the negative instead of the positive.

I Capiche alright.
My venting comment was not ment as snarky, it was tongue in cheek to mean if you want to just vent and not have the rest of the group try to find a solution, but to just get it out of your system and get "poor baby" responses, that's great, just let us know. Nothing more, nothing less.
I have commented about our success during topics where I read statements like "you can't make a living with a small b&b" or "everyone is hurting" or giving the impression that a small b&b can only be a hobby or lifestyle choice. It happens over and over on here. Most of the time those comments are being said to a new member and I have felt like I needed to give the opposite/positive voice. A new member will talk about buying an existing inn and others will shout doom and gloom that they'll lose the repeat guests. You may have heard it before that we are successful, but that new member who is being told it can't happen with a small place hasn't. And no, I'm not surprised others are doing well. How about putting some of those positive vibes out there! I often feel like I'm alone when I say it's still possible to achieve in this industry. I'm certainly not trying to rub it in or throw my weight around and I'm sorry it's come off that way.
I obviously have to take responsibility that I have not been able to communicate in a way I want, but it seems that some out there are picking apart my words and instead of giving me the benefit of the doubt, would rather interpret what I say towards the negative instead of the positive.
Sometimes even if their business is successful, folks are just having a bad day. Maybe it's hard to shake off. Maybe they feel like it's safe to just be themselves here.
You know, even if you are a super positive person as a rule, shit happens!

Good read, Although I think the points are pretty basic and there is nothing new in it. But it's always better to memorize them again!

Thanks for this. It's been a totally crappy year here and I have come to the realization that I do not know how to successfully run a business. I don't know how to market, I don't know who to market to, I don't have a plan. So, I like that there is an option 6...realize you're beat and surrender. There's nothing wrong with finding out you tried to do something you had no idea how to. At least we tried. Which leads me to option 3...forgive yourself for mistakes and move on.
We have wonderful guests who really like it here and come back every year, sometimes 2-3 times. But getting the new guests in here, well, we haven't a clue.

Thanks for this. It's been a totally crappy year here and I have come to the realization that I do not know how to successfully run a business. I don't know how to market, I don't know who to market to, I don't have a plan. So, I like that there is an option 6...realize you're beat and surrender. There's nothing wrong with finding out you tried to do something you had no idea how to. At least we tried. Which leads me to option 3...forgive yourself for mistakes and move on.
We have wonderful guests who really like it here and come back every year, sometimes 2-3 times. But getting the new guests in here, well, we haven't a clue..
Sounds like you are having a really down day today:-(
The thing with your place is that you get so much walk in traffic...which I could never deal with. If business is down in town, that means less walk in's for you...right????
I am sure you have tried networking with all those shops...right??? Or do they not want to deal with "locals"? I am sorry to hear this had been a bad year for you. Is it the same for others there as well??? Wish I had some better ideas for you? Maybe others will chime in here. Take care!

We have wonderful guests who really like it here and come back every year, sometimes 2-3 times. But getting the new guests in here, well, we haven't a clue..
The thing with your place is that you get so much walk in traffic...which I could never deal with. If business is down in town, that means less walk in's for you...right????
I am sure you have tried networking with all those shops...right??? Or do they not want to deal with "locals"? I am sorry to hear this had been a bad year for you. Is it the same for others there as well??? Wish I had some better ideas for you? Maybe others will chime in here. Take care!
We did just ok over the summer when you can't help but get guests. Now, tho, in the tank and for some weekends it is only we who have no guests. Big flag there that it's us and not the market. An example was a weekend last month where the town was full and we had not a single guest. 'No vacancy' signs up everywhere and we just had to leave for the day, it was so awful. When we got back we had had not a single phone call. Maybe we missed some walk-ins but given we got only one between 4-9 PM, I doubt it. I am looking at upcoming weekends where we have one room booked and other places are near full.
The 'mom & pop' shops in town will work with us, the chains don't even have anyone who can talk to you. We had what I thought were some innovative pkgs this summer and we got some takers, but far fewer than what I thought. I'll keep those going for next year, as they might take some time to catch on.
I'm willing to give it another year, hire a marketing firm to do what I cannot and see where it goes from there.
I worked with a marketing consultant over the winter who basically told me I screwed up, offered no help on what to do to 'unscrew' things and told me to 'read a book' on marketing.
End of whine.

We did just ok over the summer when you can't help but get guests. Now, tho, in the tank and for some weekends it is only we who have no guests. Big flag there that it's us and not the market. An example was a weekend last month where the town was full and we had not a single guest. 'No vacancy' signs up everywhere and we just had to leave for the day, it was so awful. When we got back we had had not a single phone call. Maybe we missed some walk-ins but given we got only one between 4-9 PM, I doubt it. I am looking at upcoming weekends where we have one room booked and other places are near full.
The 'mom & pop' shops in town will work with us, the chains don't even have anyone who can talk to you. We had what I thought were some innovative pkgs this summer and we got some takers, but far fewer than what I thought. I'll keep those going for next year, as they might take some time to catch on.
I'm willing to give it another year, hire a marketing firm to do what I cannot and see where it goes from there.
I worked with a marketing consultant over the winter who basically told me I screwed up, offered no help on what to do to 'unscrew' things and told me to 'read a book' on marketing.
End of whine.
Bree said:
Jeez Louise! That's not helpful. Is this a B&B marketer or just a general marketing expert (and I use the term loosely).

End of whine.
Who says he is a marketing expert? Anyone can call themselves and expert. Some people call me an expert - and that is a bunch of bull.
A real expert will give you ideas of what you can do - they will not just say "you screwed up" and not try to point you in the right direction. And another thing - a person who is good marketing cars is not necessarily someone who would be good at marketing a B & B. You ARE good at what you do. Believe in yourself!!

Keep on keepin' on. "There is no failure except in no longer trying." --Elbert Hubbard, American born 1856
The forum is great to meet other innmates and bounce ideas off them...bounce away.

End of whine.
Bree,
Don't get down because some moron says you screwed up, whatever that means. Your place looks lovely, I don't think you're doing anything "wrong"...you're in a major retail area and retail SUCKS this year, it's hard to counteract that.
It is frustrating if those around you are full and you are not. Maybe you need to find your true niche to fulfill. Figure out who your ideal customers are and cater to them exclusively. History lovers, seafood lovers, whatever the niche is, find it and flesh it out so you're really setting yourself apart from your competition.

Thanks all. It's been a trying 2 years. Altho the B&B's here in town are marketing like crazy both together and individually, we cannot seem to get past the big marketing dollars other towns have and the marketing people the other towns have. EVERY single day this year, I have had at least one guest who is staying one night here and then going to spend 3-4 nights in the place with the big marketing push. You read article after article about this other town. They are always in the top 10 for searches on any directory out there. There's a reason it's a top 10 pick but with a better town-wide marketing campaign we could come up a couple of notches on the radar screen!
And yet, I just got an email from a guest who spent a week with us. They used us as their 'home base' and toured far and wide in the state. Yes, they went to all the 'big name' towns and then came back 'home' here. I need more of that kind of guest.
Funny thing is that as far as the state's tax base goes this town is the '#1 tourist destination'. Which is why we keep getting more hotels.

Thanks all. It's been a trying 2 years. Altho the B&B's here in town are marketing like crazy both together and individually, we cannot seem to get past the big marketing dollars other towns have and the marketing people the other towns have. EVERY single day this year, I have had at least one guest who is staying one night here and then going to spend 3-4 nights in the place with the big marketing push. You read article after article about this other town. They are always in the top 10 for searches on any directory out there. There's a reason it's a top 10 pick but with a better town-wide marketing campaign we could come up a couple of notches on the radar screen!
And yet, I just got an email from a guest who spent a week with us. They used us as their 'home base' and toured far and wide in the state. Yes, they went to all the 'big name' towns and then came back 'home' here. I need more of that kind of guest.
Funny thing is that as far as the state's tax base goes this town is the '#1 tourist destination'. Which is why we keep getting more hotels..
Sorry that you're having such a bummer day. You work so hard at marketing all the time with your web site and blog and much more! I don't know if there's a key to why you haven't had rooms when the others have. I know that you have good online reviews and your place is really nice! Maybe carving out a niche is an idea? Perhaps you're trying to be all things to all people?

Funny thing is that as far as the state's tax base goes this town is the '#1 tourist destination'. Which is why we keep getting more hotels..
You are a good writer. Maybe you could do some writting for marketing.

End of whine.
Bree,
I'm sorry I don't know you well enough to know where you are, etc. I would love to see your website - you've been doing this since 2004? Do you feel like nothing has changed in the past 5 years? Or has business gone down?
The "other places" you talk about being full - are they B&B's or hotel/motels? If there are other B&B's in your area do you network with them? If they are full, do they refer people to you? When I am Inn-sitting I always ask the owner where I can refer people to if I am full. Is there a Chamber of Commerce in your town? Some areas I've been in the CC calls every Monday to see what your room availabiility is for that weekend since they frequently get calls from tourists looking for "the best place to stay". Do you have your brochure, etc. in the local businesses?
Have you contacted your local funeral home? I know, sounds morbid, but people traveling from distances sometimes need a place to stay when they come to town for a funeral.
Put yourself out there, let people know you are there - sorry, I feel like I can't comment anymore not really knowing your true situation.

Bree...in looking at what I think is your website, I may have several comments, but I don't know if it's you or not!!

SweetiePie said:
Have you thought about contacting SCORE? They are retired executives who work through the Small Business Administration and it's free. Sometimes having a fresh set of eyes take a look at a problems can be helpful.
THANKS! Totally forgot about them.
SO many on here have emailed with comments and suggestions and I thank you all.

End of whine.
Bree,
I'm sorry I don't know you well enough to know where you are, etc. I would love to see your website - you've been doing this since 2004? Do you feel like nothing has changed in the past 5 years? Or has business gone down?
The "other places" you talk about being full - are they B&B's or hotel/motels? If there are other B&B's in your area do you network with them? If they are full, do they refer people to you? When I am Inn-sitting I always ask the owner where I can refer people to if I am full. Is there a Chamber of Commerce in your town? Some areas I've been in the CC calls every Monday to see what your room availabiility is for that weekend since they frequently get calls from tourists looking for "the best place to stay". Do you have your brochure, etc. in the local businesses?
Have you contacted your local funeral home? I know, sounds morbid, but people traveling from distances sometimes need a place to stay when they come to town for a funeral.
Put yourself out there, let people know you are there - sorry, I feel like I can't comment anymore not really knowing your true situation.
What has changed is an increase in hotel rooms which has translated into a decrease in B&B bookings. SInce we've been here, 4 B&B's have closed.
We do network with the other B&B's. And we do work to keep everyone filled. We'll refer to other B&B's if someone needs a room layout we don't have. We'll also refer to another place if our price isn't what the guest wants. Of course, I have no idea if the reverse is true and anyone is referring to us.
Our local tourism places are not allowed to refer to specific accommodations. (They say, 'Here's a map of the area with the accommodations listed on the other side.') Odd as it may seem, we don't have a funeral home, but I know what you're saying. We do have our brochures out at local businesses as well.

You are a good writer. Maybe you could do some writting for marketing.
Have you thought about contacting SCORE? They are retired executives who work through the Small Business Administration and it's free. Sometimes having a fresh set of eyes take a look at a problem can be helpful.

Back