Six Ways to Deal with Small Business Stress

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this. It's been a totally crappy year here and I have come to the realization that I do not know how to successfully run a business. I don't know how to market, I don't know who to market to, I don't have a plan. So, I like that there is an option 6...realize you're beat and surrender. There's nothing wrong with finding out you tried to do something you had no idea how to. At least we tried. Which leads me to option 3...forgive yourself for mistakes and move on.
We have wonderful guests who really like it here and come back every year, sometimes 2-3 times. But getting the new guests in here, well, we haven't a clue..
Sounds like you are having a really down day today:-(
The thing with your place is that you get so much walk in traffic...which I could never deal with. If business is down in town, that means less walk in's for you...right????
I am sure you have tried networking with all those shops...right??? Or do they not want to deal with "locals"? I am sorry to hear this had been a bad year for you. Is it the same for others there as well??? Wish I had some better ideas for you? Maybe others will chime in here. Take care!
We did just ok over the summer when you can't help but get guests. Now, tho, in the tank and for some weekends it is only we who have no guests. Big flag there that it's us and not the market. An example was a weekend last month where the town was full and we had not a single guest. 'No vacancy' signs up everywhere and we just had to leave for the day, it was so awful. When we got back we had had not a single phone call. Maybe we missed some walk-ins but given we got only one between 4-9 PM, I doubt it. I am looking at upcoming weekends where we have one room booked and other places are near full.
The 'mom & pop' shops in town will work with us, the chains don't even have anyone who can talk to you. We had what I thought were some innovative pkgs this summer and we got some takers, but far fewer than what I thought. I'll keep those going for next year, as they might take some time to catch on.
I'm willing to give it another year, hire a marketing firm to do what I cannot and see where it goes from there.
I worked with a marketing consultant over the winter who basically told me I screwed up, offered no help on what to do to 'unscrew' things and told me to 'read a book' on marketing.
End of whine.
Bree,
I'm sorry I don't know you well enough to know where you are, etc. I would love to see your website - you've been doing this since 2004? Do you feel like nothing has changed in the past 5 years? Or has business gone down?
The "other places" you talk about being full - are they B&B's or hotel/motels? If there are other B&B's in your area do you network with them? If they are full, do they refer people to you? When I am Inn-sitting I always ask the owner where I can refer people to if I am full. Is there a Chamber of Commerce in your town? Some areas I've been in the CC calls every Monday to see what your room availabiility is for that weekend since they frequently get calls from tourists looking for "the best place to stay". Do you have your brochure, etc. in the local businesses?
Have you contacted your local funeral home? I know, sounds morbid, but people traveling from distances sometimes need a place to stay when they come to town for a funeral.
Put yourself out there, let people know you are there - sorry, I feel like I can't comment anymore not really knowing your true situation.
What has changed is an increase in hotel rooms which has translated into a decrease in B&B bookings. SInce we've been here, 4 B&B's have closed.
We do network with the other B&B's. And we do work to keep everyone filled. We'll refer to other B&B's if someone needs a room layout we don't have. We'll also refer to another place if our price isn't what the guest wants. Of course, I have no idea if the reverse is true and anyone is referring to us.
Our local tourism places are not allowed to refer to specific accommodations. (They say, 'Here's a map of the area with the accommodations listed on the other side.') Odd as it may seem, we don't have a funeral home, but I know what you're saying. We do have our brochures out at local businesses as well.
Well, sounds as if you are trying...I, for one, would rather stay at a B&B than a hotel - I don't care how many are in an area...keep focusing on the B&B traveler. Have someone look at your website tho - it CAN make a difference. You also have to have key words (I forget their technical B&B term) that will bring people to your site from Google and other internet searches. Do you belong to B&B.com???
Do you ask your guests "how did you find us?" That will give you a clue as to how the people that are finding you are finding you!
Most B&B's close because the owners have burned out and they can't find a buyer (cos their price is too high for anyone to afford) I don't think they are closing becos of hotel/motels moving in. B&B go-ers are B&B go-ers all the way!

Thanks for this. It's been a totally crappy year here and I have come to the realization that I do not know how to successfully run a business. I don't know how to market, I don't know who to market to, I don't have a plan. So, I like that there is an option 6...realize you're beat and surrender. There's nothing wrong with finding out you tried to do something you had no idea how to. At least we tried. Which leads me to option 3...forgive yourself for mistakes and move on.
We have wonderful guests who really like it here and come back every year, sometimes 2-3 times. But getting the new guests in here, well, we haven't a clue..
The thing with your place is that you get so much walk in traffic...which I could never deal with. If business is down in town, that means less walk in's for you...right????
I am sure you have tried networking with all those shops...right??? Or do they not want to deal with "locals"? I am sorry to hear this had been a bad year for you. Is it the same for others there as well??? Wish I had some better ideas for you? Maybe others will chime in here. Take care!
We did just ok over the summer when you can't help but get guests. Now, tho, in the tank and for some weekends it is only we who have no guests. Big flag there that it's us and not the market. An example was a weekend last month where the town was full and we had not a single guest. 'No vacancy' signs up everywhere and we just had to leave for the day, it was so awful. When we got back we had had not a single phone call. Maybe we missed some walk-ins but given we got only one between 4-9 PM, I doubt it. I am looking at upcoming weekends where we have one room booked and other places are near full.
The 'mom & pop' shops in town will work with us, the chains don't even have anyone who can talk to you. We had what I thought were some innovative pkgs this summer and we got some takers, but far fewer than what I thought. I'll keep those going for next year, as they might take some time to catch on.
I'm willing to give it another year, hire a marketing firm to do what I cannot and see where it goes from there.
I worked with a marketing consultant over the winter who basically told me I screwed up, offered no help on what to do to 'unscrew' things and told me to 'read a book' on marketing.
End of whine.
Bree,
I'm sorry I don't know you well enough to know where you are, etc. I would love to see your website - you've been doing this since 2004? Do you feel like nothing has changed in the past 5 years? Or has business gone down?
The "other places" you talk about being full - are they B&B's or hotel/motels? If there are other B&B's in your area do you network with them? If they are full, do they refer people to you? When I am Inn-sitting I always ask the owner where I can refer people to if I am full. Is there a Chamber of Commerce in your town? Some areas I've been in the CC calls every Monday to see what your room availabiility is for that weekend since they frequently get calls from tourists looking for "the best place to stay". Do you have your brochure, etc. in the local businesses?
Have you contacted your local funeral home? I know, sounds morbid, but people traveling from distances sometimes need a place to stay when they come to town for a funeral.
Put yourself out there, let people know you are there - sorry, I feel like I can't comment anymore not really knowing your true situation.
What has changed is an increase in hotel rooms which has translated into a decrease in B&B bookings. SInce we've been here, 4 B&B's have closed.
We do network with the other B&B's. And we do work to keep everyone filled. We'll refer to other B&B's if someone needs a room layout we don't have. We'll also refer to another place if our price isn't what the guest wants. Of course, I have no idea if the reverse is true and anyone is referring to us.
Our local tourism places are not allowed to refer to specific accommodations. (They say, 'Here's a map of the area with the accommodations listed on the other side.') Odd as it may seem, we don't have a funeral home, but I know what you're saying. We do have our brochures out at local businesses as well.
Well, sounds as if you are trying...I, for one, would rather stay at a B&B than a hotel - I don't care how many are in an area...keep focusing on the B&B traveler. Have someone look at your website tho - it CAN make a difference. You also have to have key words (I forget their technical B&B term) that will bring people to your site from Google and other internet searches. Do you belong to B&B.com???
Do you ask your guests "how did you find us?" That will give you a clue as to how the people that are finding you are finding you!
Most B&B's close because the owners have burned out and they can't find a buyer (cos their price is too high for anyone to afford) I don't think they are closing becos of hotel/motels moving in. B&B go-ers are B&B go-ers all the way!
suellen222 said:
We've had this discussion recently - I personally don't agree with this statement. A nearby town has seen two new hotels add about 300 lodging rooms to the town - the three B&Bs in town have seen a marked drop in their occupancy. Although others here say that can be cured by the right marketing strategy, I am not convinced of that - a surplus of rooms can lead to price wars which an individually-owned B&B may not have pockets deep enough to outlast, while the parent corporations of the hotels can wait out several years of low prices. Like Wal-mart vs. small businesses. I don't think the impact of the introduction of new lodging choices should be completely discounted.

End of whine.
Bree,
suellen222 said:
We've had this discussion recently - I personally don't agree with this statement. A nearby town has seen two new hotels add about 300 lodging rooms to the town - the three B&Bs in town have seen a marked drop in their occupancy. Although others here say that can be cured by the right marketing strategy, I am not convinced of that - a surplus of rooms can lead to price wars which an individually-owned B&B may not have pockets deep enough to outlast, while the parent corporations of the hotels can wait out several years of low prices. Like Wal-mart vs. small businesses. I don't think the impact of the introduction of new lodging choices should be completely discounted.
I agree to a point, but if we do the math...I am going to start a new thread called competing with hotels.

It's true that hotels affect B&B occupancy... Gillum saw it as well. I know there are weekends we do well because there simply isn't anywhere else to stay in town. If another (decent) hotel came to town it would impact my occupancy for sure.
OTOH, I also agree with what others have said... Bree, you've simply got to have been affected by the horrible slump in retail. There's no way around it. You yourself have said there's all these wonderful things to do all around you but people neither know nor care, they're only there to shop.
I think marketing's a tough thing in that some marketing guru can recommend a few great strategies, but the really great marketing has to be personal and specific, and very focused. If it were simple, then anyone could do it, right?
As far as venting... I generally try not to as I like to stay positive, but there is something powerful about telling a story to someone who GETS it. I can tell my sister that my guest who was due to arrive at 6 called me at 5:55 to tell me she'd be late, but my sister wouldn't understand what the big deal is. The fact that the guest called was great, but if she'd called 30 minutes earlier I could have taken my time coming home, maybe stopped at an orchard, instead of rushing home to meet her. And I'd even told her I'd be arriving home in time to check her in! Arghh! I tell my sister, oh, poor baby. I tell you guys, and you completely understand it!
Finally, the article is nice, very professional. I guess I was looking for something short and sweet (and immediately practical) like:
  • Schedule a vacation. Even if it’s months away it gives you something to look forward to.
  • Practice the mantra… They stay, they pay, they go away.
  • Remind yourself that work equals money and it’s better than being a bum.
  • Find an animal (borrow the neighbor’s if necessary) and pet it awhile.
  • Get enough sleep. Force yourself if necessary.
  • Be part of a community... family, friends, someone who’ll care about your root canal.
  • Get out of the freaking house once in a while
OK, that's actually seven, but it's how I deal with my small business stress...
=)
Kk.

It's true that hotels affect B&B occupancy... Gillum saw it as well. I know there are weekends we do well because there simply isn't anywhere else to stay in town. If another (decent) hotel came to town it would impact my occupancy for sure.
OTOH, I also agree with what others have said... Bree, you've simply got to have been affected by the horrible slump in retail. There's no way around it. You yourself have said there's all these wonderful things to do all around you but people neither know nor care, they're only there to shop.
I think marketing's a tough thing in that some marketing guru can recommend a few great strategies, but the really great marketing has to be personal and specific, and very focused. If it were simple, then anyone could do it, right?
As far as venting... I generally try not to as I like to stay positive, but there is something powerful about telling a story to someone who GETS it. I can tell my sister that my guest who was due to arrive at 6 called me at 5:55 to tell me she'd be late, but my sister wouldn't understand what the big deal is. The fact that the guest called was great, but if she'd called 30 minutes earlier I could have taken my time coming home, maybe stopped at an orchard, instead of rushing home to meet her. And I'd even told her I'd be arriving home in time to check her in! Arghh! I tell my sister, oh, poor baby. I tell you guys, and you completely understand it!
Finally, the article is nice, very professional. I guess I was looking for something short and sweet (and immediately practical) like:
  • Schedule a vacation. Even if it’s months away it gives you something to look forward to.
  • Be part of a community... family, friends, someone who’ll care about your root canal.
=)
Kk..
Great list!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Thank you for voicing that sentiment so succinctly...that is the biggest benefit of this forum for me personally...my family knows that our lives are really busy but unless they've lived what we do they just don't GET it. Empathy is one of the most powerful gifts we can give one another...a chance to be truly heard and understood.

End of whine.
Bree,
suellen222 said:
I agree that the number of rooms available DOES indeed have impact. Major impact. When I was 3 w/shared during big WVU football games - even I was full!!! Now, even with a private bath I rarely get WVU Football reservations. Too many other places to stay in Morgantown and Fairmont and even Bridgeport along I-79. Why travel 6+ miles off the Interstate when these rooms are right there.
Note to those who do not know me (Jeanne does): What helps me is that I go all over the place with the various things I am involved in and am a walking commercial. Aloso it is the packages. Being the only overnight stabling available in MANY miles does not hurt either.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Bree, you've simply got to have been affected by the horrible slump in retail. There's no way around it. You yourself have said there's all these wonderful things to do all around you but people neither know nor care, they're only there to shop.
Bree, in looking at your website, I see your tagline and first paragraph really say "shopping" to me. Since I'm not a shopper, I'm not lured in and (as a guest) would move on. Nothing wrong with going after that niche when the economy is strong, but shopping (and retail in general) is one of the things that has taken a real hit. Because you market almost exclusively to that market, that's what your guests do.
Maybe you could gear your site more toward the other attractions and less toward shopping, starting with your home page. Go after couples or friends traveling together who want to see Maine's natural (and not so natural wonders). I know you have alot of information about the area on your site, but I don't see it on the first half of your home page, so I don't look any farther.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Bree, you've simply got to have been affected by the horrible slump in retail. There's no way around it. You yourself have said there's all these wonderful things to do all around you but people neither know nor care, they're only there to shop.
Bree, in looking at your website, I see your tagline and first paragraph really say "shopping" to me. Since I'm not a shopper, I'm not lured in and (as a guest) would move on. Nothing wrong with going after that niche when the economy is strong, but shopping (and retail in general) is one of the things that has taken a real hit. Because you market almost exclusively to that market, that's what your guests do.
Maybe you could gear your site more toward the other attractions and less toward shopping, starting with your home page. Go after couples or friends traveling together who want to see Maine's natural (and not so natural wonders). I know you have alot of information about the area on your site, but I don't see it on the first half of your home page, so I don't look any farther.
Take a look at the blog - she covers the natural scene pretty well! Ahhhh the beauty of blogging...you can add more and more and more info. I love it.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Take a look at the blog - she covers the natural scene pretty well! Ahhhh the beauty of blogging...you can add more and more and more info. I love it.
Yeah, maybe she does. But as a potential guest searching for a place to stay, if the website doesn't hold my attention, I'm certainly not going to take the time to read the blog. I'm moving on to the next website.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
See, I was going to push even more for the shopping aspect because that is basically the ONLY reason anyone stops in this town. They may want to see a little nature on their way out, but it's shopping they are here to do. I would RATHER they were here for the natural beauty, but they're not. I have tons of info on nature that no one even asks for. It's all over the house, and it's the rare guest who asks, 'How do I get to this place?' Seriously, it's shopping. And I know this is a down economy but the original 'gripe' if you will was because I'm not full and other places in this same shopping environment are.
The website is getting an overhaul. I'm hiring a marketing firm to do the website and my SEO and my marketing. I've taken this as far as I can but I'm not ready to give up.
I know there are some folks on here who could sell A/C to Eskimos, but I'm not one of them. Better I stop trying and let the experts have at it.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
See, I was going to push even more for the shopping aspect because that is basically the ONLY reason anyone stops in this town. They may want to see a little nature on their way out, but it's shopping they are here to do. I would RATHER they were here for the natural beauty, but they're not. I have tons of info on nature that no one even asks for. It's all over the house, and it's the rare guest who asks, 'How do I get to this place?' Seriously, it's shopping. And I know this is a down economy but the original 'gripe' if you will was because I'm not full and other places in this same shopping environment are.
The website is getting an overhaul. I'm hiring a marketing firm to do the website and my SEO and my marketing. I've taken this as far as I can but I'm not ready to give up.
I know there are some folks on here who could sell A/C to Eskimos, but I'm not one of them. Better I stop trying and let the experts have at it.
Bree said:
Seriously, it's shopping. And I know this is a down economy but the original 'gripe' if you will was because I'm not full and other places in this same shopping environment are.
Are the other properties in the area discounting to be keeping so busy? I did not notice a specials page on your site...do you offer any? A special does not have to be a great big discount to be appealing, and can be dependent on staying a certain number of nights. I know that some of us see our product as being above discounting, but sometimes the market dictates otherwise. I offer a discount of $20.00 per night for stays of three or more nights. That results in alot of longer stays, which allows people to get out and see the natural wonders of the area.
And finally, it appears that you have some great reviews, and yet I don't see any particular area or page on your website that really highlights them. As we all know, like it or not, reviews are playing a huge new part in the hospitality business...I wouldn't think of not having my reviews page.

I know how you feel Bree remember me the one with the worst website ever! I learned alot from that. But I brushed myself off and got back on the horse (the best horse I could find, that could do it in a reasonable amount of time
wink_smile.gif
). I am now working with one of the top B&B websites producers. As of Friday they are hosting my website. No big changes in it yet, but I did get my first reservation on Sunday. Just 2 days after they started hosting and made some minor changes. I tell you what, this is the best place to get an honest answer. It may hurt but they speak the truth. And it is with this truth that we learn. I hope this makes sense. Thank you all!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
I admit I am weird, but I do not enjoy shopping. Everyone else I am sure is selling the shopping. Have you thought of being the "different drummer"? gear on your home page toward the other things. Yes, they are on your blog but the home page is whar they see first - and many times just as quickly, last. Highlight the delights to be experienced in your area - but as a circle that leads away from your inn and ends back at your inn for a second night of restful slumber. And have a couple more of those circles for 3 and 4 night stays.
You have lighthouses - Do a "See the Light" Special.

Back