Skeered!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banana

Reaction score
I'm a wee bit embarassed to be posting this, but need some help! In my sixth year of innkeeping, and I've never made a quiche. WHAT?!? Yes, sad, but true. I make the egg "puffs" that don't have a crust, or stratas, or other bread type breakfasts. I am scared of pie crusts - I think I'm scared that the egg mixture is going to soak through the crust and it will fall apart and won't be pretty, or that the edges are going to burn...who knows why I'm so worried about it?
I've got a million recipes for quiche, and have decided on a Portabello Mushroom quiche. I've got the crust defrosting in the fridge, the mushrooms cooked. Here are my questions:
1) Do I need to precook the crust?
2) Do I need to pierce the crust? Or put a thin layer of bread crumbs over the crust? (different recipes call for different things!)
3) Should the eggs just be lightly whipped, or beat to death?
4) Can I use half and half or milk instead of heavy cream? I have no heavy cream and don't want to go to the store tonight.
5) Is a 9" quiche really enough for 8 pieces?
5) Can these be made the night before? 80% of what I make for breakfast is made the night before, so I'm nervous about time factor.
Thanks for any help you can give. I really should have made this earlier in the week when I didn't have a full house, to see how it turned out!

Short answer...no crust. We stopped doing crusts years ago when everyone was picking the crust off because it was a dreaded carb!
Lightly grease the quiche pan and proceed from there. No crust needed. The eggs will set up and hold the whole thing together.
If you have to do the crust, I used to do it this way...build the whole quiche and then bake it for 15 minutes at 425, then reduce the heat to whatever the recipe calls for for the remaining time (or until done).
It will take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to bake, no matter what you do.
9" might be a little small for 8 servings. Especially if it is a regular pie plate. If it's a quiche pan (straight sides, not slanted) you might squeak by.
Yes, half & half or milk are fine (not skim milk).
No, you cannot assemble it the night before and then cook in the morning. No, don't assemble and cook the night before because then it is 'leftover' quiche and will have 'fallen' and not be nice and puffy.
If you have the crust defrosting what do the directions on the crust say to do? I never prebaked the crust, but if you do, about 15 minutes will do it. If you have pie weights use those to keep it from puffing up on you. Poking holes will mean the eggs go thru and stick the whole thing to the pan.
I hope some of that helped. 'First do no harm,' is my latest motto.

Short answer...no crust. We stopped doing crusts years ago when everyone was picking the crust off because it was a dreaded carb!
Lightly grease the quiche pan and proceed from there. No crust needed. The eggs will set up and hold the whole thing together.
If you have to do the crust, I used to do it this way...build the whole quiche and then bake it for 15 minutes at 425, then reduce the heat to whatever the recipe calls for for the remaining time (or until done).
It will take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to bake, no matter what you do.
9" might be a little small for 8 servings. Especially if it is a regular pie plate. If it's a quiche pan (straight sides, not slanted) you might squeak by.
Yes, half & half or milk are fine (not skim milk).
No, you cannot assemble it the night before and then cook in the morning. No, don't assemble and cook the night before because then it is 'leftover' quiche and will have 'fallen' and not be nice and puffy.
If you have the crust defrosting what do the directions on the crust say to do? I never prebaked the crust, but if you do, about 15 minutes will do it. If you have pie weights use those to keep it from puffing up on you. Poking holes will mean the eggs go thru and stick the whole thing to the pan.
I hope some of that helped. 'First do no harm,' is my latest motto..
The crustless versions have always worked, I am just ready for something different. Getting bored with my "tried & true" and want to challenge myself a little. All your tips are helpful, thanks much.
I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow - will let you know how it turned out.

I gave up on crusts years ago. Now I make 'impossible quiche' using bisquick.
Perfect every time:
http://www.grouprecipes.com/9360/impossible-quiche.html

I gave up on crusts years ago. Now I make 'impossible quiche' using bisquick.
Perfect every time:
http://www.grouprecipes.com/9360/impossible-quiche.html.
I do a variation of this recipe, but since it doesn't have a crust and some people have an aversion to "quiche", I call it breakfast pie. With this basic recipe, you can add any meat, cheese, veggie, etc. You can't go wrong with this one!

Here is our recipe. You an use any fillings you want. Cannot be done ahead of time.
Al’s Zucchini Quiche
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1 Pillsbury Pie Crust
In bottom of the pie crust shell sprinkle any type of shredded cheese ( we usually use sharp cheddar) enough to cover the bottom of the crust, about 1 cup.
In a mixing bowl combine:
5 eggs
1 can evaporated milk
1/4 c. sour cream (optional)
Sprinkle in your favorite seasonings. ( about 1 tsp. each...We use parsley, chives, K Paul Pasta Magic Herbal or Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy. This is up to your tastes.
If you like onion or shallots, add about 1/4 cup chopped.
1 cup sliced thin, zucchini
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
1 cup of sharp cheddar or any other type of cheese you prefer.
Mix together and pour into the pie crust shell. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. Bake about 50 minutes until puffy and golden.
A knife inserted halfway between the center and edge of plate should come out clean. Sit on a cooling rack and allow to rest about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serves 6-8

On a side note - not many people have ever had quiche! I mean think about it, where would they have it today? At a tea house?
For this reason I stick to what I call standard drill, quiche lorraine, if I find nice firm grape tomatoes I toss a few of those in of color, but it makes it harder to slice. I actually have a quiche slicer which I bought online which is a pie slicer.
So for the men who stay here it is ham and cheese quiche, or bacon and cheese, cheese varies from pepper jack to sharp cheddar. Sometimes finely diced onion. Almost always my secret ingredient is...drum roll please - a dash of blue cheese dressing, gives it a little tang, and always Texas Pete or Tabasco hot sauce shaken into the egg mixture.
  • 375 F for 40 minutes - 2 quiche on one cookie sheet in middle of oven
  • Pillsbury (NOT deep dish, but reg crust).
  • 10 eggs,
  • 1 C cheese,
  • 1 C diced ham (I don't used the compressed ham, real ham),
  • 1/4 C whole milk,
  • Hot Sauce - dash,
  • Blue Cheese - dash,
  • Diced onion (not a lot, divide btwn both quiche),
  • mix it up til eggs are mixed in well and pour and bake in preheated oven.
  • Take out from oven to cool for a few min's and allow to settle down and then slice, taking care of the crust or it will crumble when serving.

Here is our recipe. You an use any fillings you want. Cannot be done ahead of time.
Al’s Zucchini Quiche
1 Pillsbury Pie Crust
In bottom of the pie crust shell sprinkle any type of shredded cheese ( we usually use sharp cheddar) enough to cover the bottom of the crust, about 1 cup.
5 eggs
1 can evaporated milk
Sprinkle in your favorite seasonings. ( about 1 tsp. each...We use parsley, chives, K Paul Pasta Magic Herbal or Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy. This is up to your tastes.
Mix together and pour into the pie crust shell. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. Bake about 50 minutes until puffy and golden.
A knife inserted halfway between the center and edge of plate should come out clean. Sit on a cooling rack and allow to rest about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serves 6-8.
Can someone tell me how to get all that code out of my message. I have tried several times but it is still there:-(

On a side note - not many people have ever had quiche! I mean think about it, where would they have it today? At a tea house?
For this reason I stick to what I call standard drill, quiche lorraine, if I find nice firm grape tomatoes I toss a few of those in of color, but it makes it harder to slice. I actually have a quiche slicer which I bought online which is a pie slicer.
So for the men who stay here it is ham and cheese quiche, or bacon and cheese, cheese varies from pepper jack to sharp cheddar. Sometimes finely diced onion. Almost always my secret ingredient is...drum roll please - a dash of blue cheese dressing, gives it a little tang, and always Texas Pete or Tabasco hot sauce shaken into the egg mixture.
  • 10 eggs,
  • 1 C cheese,
  • 1/4 C whole milk,
  • Hot Sauce - dash,
  • Blue Cheese - dash,
  • Take out from oven to cool for a few min's and allow to settle down and then slice, taking care of the crust or it will crumble when serving.
WHOA....that's alot of eggs for one quiche...isn't that overkill????

• 10 eggs,
  • 1 C cheese,
  • 1/4 C whole milk,
  • Hot Sauce - dash,
  • Blue Cheese - dash,
catlady said:
I think that's for 2 quiches.
JB used to have that problem with the code showing up from a cut n paste. Not sure how to remove it.

• 10 eggs,
  • 1 C cheese,
  • 1/4 C whole milk,
  • Hot Sauce - dash,
  • Blue Cheese - dash,
catlady said:
two quiche = 10 eggs.

• 10 eggs,
  • 1 C cheese,
  • 1/4 C whole milk,
  • Hot Sauce - dash,
  • Blue Cheese - dash,
catlady said:
two quiche = 10 eggs.
Oh..ok..guess I didn't see that.

• 10 eggs,
  • 1 C cheese,
  • 1/4 C whole milk,
  • Hot Sauce - dash,
  • Blue Cheese - dash,
catlady said:
two quiche = 10 eggs.
Well, it was a failure. Never again. I'm sure I can get it down with practice, but I served....da da da..."Portabella Mushroom Scrambled Egg Quiche". I said "Hey, I know it's not pretty, but it tastes good!" I always get easy going guests, and they all laughed and devoured it. No biggie with them. But there is no worse feeling than serving time being 30 minutes away and your dish looks like crap!
Not sure what I did wrong. It didn't set up right or something. I let it sit for 10 minutes after taking out of a 325 oven for 45 minutes (baked the shell for 6 minutes at 425 first), leaving the middle just a little undone, allowing it to cook itself after removing. Two pieces came out intact - the others were a mess.
So...that was the end of that! The egg puff recipe is always a hit, and I might try the bisquick one. Thanks for the help!

• 10 eggs,
  • 1 C cheese,
  • 1/4 C whole milk,
  • Hot Sauce - dash,
  • Blue Cheese - dash,
catlady said:
two quiche = 10 eggs.
Well, it was a failure. Never again. I'm sure I can get it down with practice, but I served....da da da..."Portabella Mushroom Scrambled Egg Quiche". I said "Hey, I know it's not pretty, but it tastes good!" I always get easy going guests, and they all laughed and devoured it. No biggie with them. But there is no worse feeling than serving time being 30 minutes away and your dish looks like crap!
Not sure what I did wrong. It didn't set up right or something. I let it sit for 10 minutes after taking out of a 325 oven for 45 minutes (baked the shell for 6 minutes at 425 first), leaving the middle just a little undone, allowing it to cook itself after removing. Two pieces came out intact - the others were a mess.
So...that was the end of that! The egg puff recipe is always a hit, and I might try the bisquick one. Thanks for the help!
The quiche shouldn't be 'wiggly' when it comes out of the oven. Generally we cook ours for an hour (that's 2 quiches in the oven) and even then they often need '5 minutes more.' That's at 350.

• 10 eggs,
  • 1 C cheese,
  • 1/4 C whole milk,
  • Hot Sauce - dash,
  • Blue Cheese - dash,
catlady said:
two quiche = 10 eggs.
Sorry yours didn't work..but I see why. You need to try one of the ones we have posted here. Ours always came out just fine.

Al’s Zucchini Quiche
1 Pillsbury Pie Crust
5 eggs
1 can evaporated milk
Serves 6-8.
Can someone tell me how to get all that code out of my message. I have tried several times but it is still there:-(
I thought that was sneaky innkeeper code for secret ingredients and instructions!
regular_smile.gif

Back