Skinny Taste

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
While I've been away from the forum, DH and I have both lost ~60# with combined diet and exercise since the first of the year. I know many of you living this B&B lifestyle struggle, like we do, to find time to take care of yourself and your health while you're so busy running around taking care of everyone else. I have found a recipe website that features a very common sense approach to making everyday meals flavorful and healthy, and it's been a real asset to me in trying to keep our food interesting. I really like that most of the recipes on the site are for 4 people, so we get two meals out of each one.
The site is www.skinnytaste.com. Gina basically follows a Weight Watchers style of calorie budgeting, she lists WW counts for her recipes but also just normal calorie/fat, etc counts if you're keeping track the old fashioned way. This, in combination with the free App and website www.MyFitnessPal.com are the tools that really got us going and kept us on track.
And honestly, every recipe I've ever made from this site has been YUM! We are up to our knees in her Skinny Pumpkin Granola, great time of year for it.

Congrats. I know how hard that is.
I find during the summer months I can eat almost what I want and not put on weight, due to the amount of running about I do.
The problem is that that eating pattern tends to carry on into the winter when I'm much more sedentary, and that's when the weight piles on.
We mentioned before mindfull eating plans, I'm trying to follow the Pau l Mcke nna plan and it really does help. I only put on 1lb during my 2 week vacation.

thumbs_up.gif
to both of you and thanks for the web pages!

Thanks. We will check it out.
Already using MyFitnessPal, and I have lost 18 lbs and DH has lost 15. Just counting calories. I thought we were eating healthy until the first few days of logging in and realized we were still consuming too many calories. It's been 4 months now. But the whole month of August, I did not lose an ounce!

This could not have come at a better time! DH has finally verbalized a desire to shed some lbs. With him it is portion control and not sneaking in between...you know...going to the dump and stopping on the way home for a pint of ice cream.
tounge_smile.gif
Me? not so much. Like HJ, I just need to maintain my summer weight through the slow winter season.
So I will definitely check out those sites. Basically, I cook heathy but not necessarily low carb, which is what DH is going to need. Dr. wants him to shed 10-20% of his weight every year to get to BMI of 25. At 6'6" and years of eating whenever/whatever he want, he carries a big load. This ain't going to be easy so we will need all the help we can get.

thank from me too. Just signed up and put in my foods for the day so far...uh oh...can't have what i was planning for dinner :-( Well..maybe I will start this on Monday :)

Those look absolutely yummy! Thanks. A friend & I are going to do this together. She's MOB in Oct next year so she has a goal and I'll help her.
Good for you to be able to focus on this in season!

I have lost almost 20 lbs and I credit the My Fitness Pal ap. It makes it super easy.

Awesome, so glad this will help folks! It really is amazing how much food we DON'T need! 1200 calories for us doesn't go that far, you learn real fast that beans and greens are the way to go...you can have about as much as you want!
I've also noticed recently that Skinny Taste has been doing more gluten free recipes, not sure if that is for health reasons in her family or just preference, but she tends to stick to whole, natural foods which I love. Lots of crock pot stuff too which is so helpful when we're busy.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

This could not have come at a better time! DH has finally verbalized a desire to shed some lbs. With him it is portion control and not sneaking in between...you know...going to the dump and stopping on the way home for a pint of ice cream.
tounge_smile.gif
Me? not so much. Like HJ, I just need to maintain my summer weight through the slow winter season.
So I will definitely check out those sites. Basically, I cook heathy but not necessarily low carb, which is what DH is going to need. Dr. wants him to shed 10-20% of his weight every year to get to BMI of 25. At 6'6" and years of eating whenever/whatever he want, he carries a big load. This ain't going to be easy so we will need all the help we can get..
Lower carb tends to work best for us too (we cannot be trusted with a loaf of bread in the house). Another good site is Kalyn's Kitchen. I love her recipes as well. She follows the South Beach Diet and her recipes are all divided into either Phase I (no carb), or Phases II and III (good carbs and/or whole grains). She made me like lentils!

I just found that by tracking the calories, I could see where my "problems" were. I can still eat a doughnut just not 3 doughtnuts. Portion control and it started to come off.

Awesome, so glad this will help folks! It really is amazing how much food we DON'T need! 1200 calories for us doesn't go that far, you learn real fast that beans and greens are the way to go...you can have about as much as you want!
I've also noticed recently that Skinny Taste has been doing more gluten free recipes, not sure if that is for health reasons in her family or just preference, but she tends to stick to whole, natural foods which I love. Lots of crock pot stuff too which is so helpful when we're busy.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!.
Thanks so much for this post. I can see by the way the thread grew that several of us are in a similar situation. Especially winter creep. (combined with the mid-life thing, its not good) Good luck to us all.

Thanks for the link...I just glanced quickly and I was reminded how easy it is to make lasagna rolls (and I make spinach lasagna). Have been heading in the right direction, but this looks like a good site for some more tasty recipes.
Congrats on your success, DD!!

You know what i found helps - not sitting in front of the computer scoffing chocolates! ha ha!

You know what i found helps - not sitting in front of the computer scoffing chocolates! ha ha!.
Exercise is the answer. I exercise every day!
  1. Place fork firmly in hand
  2. Fill fork with food
  3. Lift arm and bend elbow
  4. Place filled fork in mouth
  5. Close mouth, extract fork, chew, and swallow
  6. Repeat steps 1 thru 5 often

Back