Skip the sarcasm

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Why do the guests think we're mind readers? Just had a call for a booking for tonight. She asked a few questions to see if we could accommoate her but never mentioned for when. When I asked when she was looking to come, she replies, 'Right now! Why else would I be calling?'
Oh, I don't know, maybe you want to book your summer vacation? How the heck do I know you want the room right now unless you tell me!

smileystooges.gif

We never have a room for people who say that. My stat reply is..."Oh no, we have been booked full for tonight for weeks, (by people who are normal!) LOL

Morticia said:
Why do the guests think we're mind readers? Just had a call for a booking for tonight. She asked a few questions to see if we could accommoate her but never mentioned for when. When I asked when she was looking to come, she replies, 'Right now! Why else would I be calling?'
Definitely a PITA alert on that one.

We never have a room for people who say that. My stat reply is..."Oh no, we have been booked full for tonight for weeks, (by people who are normal!) LOL.
aieechihuahua said:
We never have a room for people who say that. My stat reply is..."Oh no, we have been booked full for tonight for weeks, (by people who are normal!) LOL
Good one. She ended up going elsewhere and sounding very confused because I said we couldn't accommodate her for the full length of the stay she wanted. (3 nights) Which then leads to the usual, 'You're FULL? Why?'
Well, because it's a really nice place to stay and lots of folks book before they get to town so they're not left out in the cold!

We never have a room for people who say that. My stat reply is..."Oh no, we have been booked full for tonight for weeks, (by people who are normal!) LOL.
aieechihuahua said:
Good one. She ended up going elsewhere and sounding very confused because I said we couldn't accommodate her for the full length of the stay she wanted. (3 nights) Which then leads to the usual, 'You're FULL? Why?'
Well, because it's a really nice place to stay and lots of folks book before they get to town so they're not left out in the cold!
It is 3 AM on a summer Saturday night (for picky people Sunday morning):
Glassy-eyed man, "Do you have a room?"
Me: "I am sorry but we are booked."
Man: "I've been driving since Duluth."
Me" "I am sorry but you will probably be driving to the other side of Chicago."
Man: "Why are you full?"
Me: "Because of weddings, reunions..." (mental comment - because everyone else was smart enough to make a reservation..)
This happened sooo many times. Happened to me once also because DH decided it was too early to stop for the night in Albany at 5 PM. He was ready to stop at Lake George - HA! Fort Ticonderoga area at 2 AM we pulled over and slept as well as one could in a 5 passenger Jeep with 6'3" in the back-back, 5'7" and two 5'3"s who hated each other in the back seat, and Ma & Pa Kettle in the front seat listening to "move over, you are crowding me" for the next 4 hours until daylight. Taught HIM a lesson i would not ever let him forget!

aieechihuahua said:
Me: "Because of weddings, reunions..." (mental comment - because everyone else was smart enough to make a reservation..)
This happened sooo many times. Happened to me once also because DH decided it was too early to stop for the night in Albany at 5 PM. He was ready to stop at Lake George - HA! Fort Ticonderoga area at 2 AM we pulled over and slept as well as one could in a 5 passenger Jeep with 6'3" in the back-back, 5'7" and two 5'3"s who hated each other in the back seat, and Ma & Pa Kettle in the front seat listening to "move over, you are crowding me" for the next 4 hours until daylight. Taught HIM a lesson i would not ever let him forget!
Some of us learn the hard way like your DH. In the mid-80;s We decided to see scenic New Hampshire in mid-October, wanting to PIBE (play it by ear) w/o reservations. Had we ever heard of "foliage" ? DOH! Spent the vaca at MIL's.....

aieechihuahua said:
Some of us learn the hard way like your DH. In the mid-80;s We decided to see scenic New Hampshire in mid-October, wanting to PIBE (play it by ear) w/o reservations. Had we ever heard of "foliage" ? DOH! Spent the vaca at MIL's.....
1986 for us - in August. We were working our way to Rockland, ME to take the Lewis R French (2-masted schooner) on a 6-day windjammer cruise. It was our first (and last so far for the kids who loved it!). DH went one more time and I have done it 4 times. One of the few things I would do again in a heartbeat if I had the cash!
Forgot to add, I DO get seasick - gimmee the patch and i am ready to roll!

Most Augusts the Highlands of Scotland are fully booked, and it never ceases to amaze me the people who knock on the door even when the "No Vacancies" sign is out desperate for a room. Even families of 5 and 6, or parents with very young children.
And I'm getting really fed up this year with people who want to put 3 or 4 people in a double/twin room. Quite apart from the fact that my insurance doesn't cover me, I can't cope in the dining room, and I don't need the extra hastles.

Its the same in Harrogate we are a conference town and if you come when there is something big on or there are two smaller events on then it can be the case that you cannot get a bed in town or within 20 miles. People just turn up and they are like oh there are hundreds of B&B's in Harrogate we thought we would be fine LOL however we are on an email network and when it is busy anyone with avaliability sends an email round so we can help fill it for them so I can usually help people but one time people were putting people up on sofa beds and in their lounges and all over the place. What annoyes me the most is when you tell them this and they simply knock on the next places door when I have just told them they are full I think if you are that stupid you deserve what you get.

aieechihuahua said:
I just had a cancel for a one nighter in Oct. Guest booked one night, then emailed to change it to a different night, then (apparently) threw up hands and emailed a third time to cancel saying they had no idea how hard it was to book a vacation in October in New England.

Most Augusts the Highlands of Scotland are fully booked, and it never ceases to amaze me the people who knock on the door even when the "No Vacancies" sign is out desperate for a room. Even families of 5 and 6, or parents with very young children.
And I'm getting really fed up this year with people who want to put 3 or 4 people in a double/twin room. Quite apart from the fact that my insurance doesn't cover me, I can't cope in the dining room, and I don't need the extra hastles..
We get that here as well. Little kids being dragged around at 9 PM (when it's getting dark here) looking for accommodations. And the same thing...the whole family in one room and don't try to charge for the little ones, either.
Wait, you can answer this! Do you charge for children? Is it common for there to be a charge for children in the UK or in Europe in general? How about pricing in general...about what are your rates? And are they higher, lower or on a par with any hotels in the area?
We get stunned looks from European travelers when we quote our rates. I tell them the rate is for 2 guests not each guest but they still think it's way too high.

Its the same in Harrogate we are a conference town and if you come when there is something big on or there are two smaller events on then it can be the case that you cannot get a bed in town or within 20 miles. People just turn up and they are like oh there are hundreds of B&B's in Harrogate we thought we would be fine LOL however we are on an email network and when it is busy anyone with avaliability sends an email round so we can help fill it for them so I can usually help people but one time people were putting people up on sofa beds and in their lounges and all over the place. What annoyes me the most is when you tell them this and they simply knock on the next places door when I have just told them they are full I think if you are that stupid you deserve what you get..
We do the same thing with the emailing around when places fill up. I emailed that I had an opening for a holiday weekend and got a call the next day that was a referral from a neighbor.
If I have the time, I'll call a few places for a guest who is at the door. I tell them it will save them driving all over town. Most times I can find them something right off, but not always.

And I'm getting really fed up this year with people who want to put 3 or 4 people in a double/twin room. Quite apart from the fact that my insurance doesn't cover me, I can't cope in the dining room, and I don't need the extra hastles..
We get that here as well. Little kids being dragged around at 9 PM (when it's getting dark here) looking for accommodations. And the same thing...the whole family in one room and don't try to charge for the little ones, either.
Wait, you can answer this! Do you charge for children? Is it common for there to be a charge for children in the UK or in Europe in general? How about pricing in general...about what are your rates? And are they higher, lower or on a par with any hotels in the area?
We get stunned looks from European travelers when we quote our rates. I tell them the rate is for 2 guests not each guest but they still think it's way too high.
We're currently charging 98 USD for a double or twin room, it's 116 peak, however we are 4 star, I think 75-90 USD is more standard for B&B here. Years ago when we visited the US we found accommodation much cheaper than here, last time we visited California 3 years ago we found it comparable with the UK. B&B tends to be a great deal cheaper than hotels in the UK, but I get the impression there's a big difference between a B&B in the UK and the US? Also, the budget hotels are starting to encroach on the B&B market.
We don't take young children, our rule is they must be old enough to have their own room and we charge full price. In general I don't think people here in B&Bs give discount for children. We used to have a fold up bed which we'd put in the large double for a family of 3, but once the business was established we gave that up because it was too much hastle.
When I'm asked if there's a discount for children I'd like to say "As long as they don't sleep in the beds or eat the breakfast, sure" or "I'm bound to let your two children have a room for half price when I can fill it with two adults paying the full tariff"............but of course I smile apologetically and say "No, sorry".

Skip the sarcasm you say?
Lovely guests just checked out - two rooms were here for breakfast and I am clearing up when she says "Well now, what will you do with yourself for the rest of the day?"
Okay, so let me hand the apron off to the next shift and put my feet up. I replied with but one word, as I bit my tongue "clean" and then what? she asked, "clean."
I have four loads of laundry queued up in the laundry room as it is and haven't even stripped their room yet.
Beautiful isn't it that they eat a leisurely breakfast and think we must be doing the same. Like I say, check out is after everyone is fat and happy, fed and burped, full tummy and dry diaper.
poke.gif

Lovely guests just checked out - two rooms were here for breakfast and I am clearing up when she says "Well now, what will you do with yourself for the rest of the day?"
Okay, so let me hand the apron off to the next shift and put my feet up. I replied with but one word, as I bit my tongue "clean" and then what? she asked, "clean."
I have four loads of laundry queued up in the laundry room as it is and haven't even stripped their room yet.
Beautiful isn't it that they eat a leisurely breakfast and think we must be doing the same. Like I say, check out is after everyone is fat and happy, fed and burped, full tummy and dry diaper.
poke.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
But it is nice when one really gets it...had a guest yesterday morning say - " I am tired just thinking about all must you do in a day" - That came just after DH showed them one of my flats of strawberries waiting for me to make jam.

Think it depends on the area and demand in Blackpool (a sea side resort is can be as low as £18.00) for a double room our average is about £70-75 but the max can go up to £100 for a double room for 1 person which is a very busy conference period. (not sure what the exchange rate is at the mo so havn't converted) Hotels are usually a bit higher but if you are a 4 or 5 star B&B it is about the same. (this is quality assurance scheme so guests know what they are getting) To be honest having worked in both in a small place you usually get a better room, a better price, better facilities and a generally better service. But then I am biased.

Back