Skype-need info

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
We have a request for a final interview using Skype-has anyone here used it and how do you use it and does it cost you money.
Thanks in advance.

You have to have a camera on your computer to use Skype. Download the software on line. I used it once..but don't have anyone to chat with via camera so never used it again. It used to be free, but there may be a charge now. Just go to their website and read the directions.:)
Good Luck!

Skype to Skype is free. Just install the software. You need a camera/microphone on your PC or laptop. You pay only for calls OUT, to phones or mobiles.

go here for details:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/

It is free to download. You will need a camera/mic - go to the office supply or wally world in the computer section and get a camera they run from $30 up. I think I paid $40 or $50 for the one i have and it is nicer than the one my son got that did not work with the new Windows7. Read the box wor what systems it is compatible with. It is just a USB to plug into your computer. Download and then remember to INSTALL Skype (guess who forgot the install step on the new computer). Register and log-in and bob's yer uncle.
I use it with my son in Illinois when he thinks to get on and a lot with my son in California. He (Cali) has called me on Skype from a ship as it was leaving Estonia (I was getting seasick talking to him). Remember to get a decent camera/mic - you will not need the most expensice, but do not go the cheapest either. My new one does good even in low light (the first one did not) and you want to look your best.

Thanks-I though i would need camera and dont have one-guess they would have to rely on a pic of us through computer, they just asked if we had it guess they want to take a look at us more than anything? don't know but the job search has been going good at least the contacts we have made have been interviews later on...so its a sure good sign.
Thanks for all the good vibes you all-we need them

You might find it is useful. Calls in the US are very cheap and even world wide is pretty inexpensive. I live in Brazil most of the time so I use Skype a lot and love it. You might find a headset useful during your interview. You will look a little funny but you will for sure understand the conversation.

I haven't set up Skype yet so no info on the hows. But, I will tell you this...if you have a camera on the computer be VERY careful what that camera 'sees'. The background should be clear of mess. You should 'stage' the whole thing. Flowers, lights on, everything clean and glowing. No messy desk. No dirty kitchen. No one should be walking around in the background. YOU are on display.
Same goes for the audio part. No noise in the background. Close the windows if someone is mowing or there is a lot of car traffic. None of that has anything to do with you, but it sets the scene. 'Noisy' will translate into something negative about you.

Thanks-I though i would need camera and dont have one-guess they would have to rely on a pic of us through computer, they just asked if we had it guess they want to take a look at us more than anything? don't know but the job search has been going good at least the contacts we have made have been interviews later on...so its a sure good sign.
Thanks for all the good vibes you all-we need them.
You have to have a camera or you can't use Skype. This is a great way to have an interview without having to go anywhere. Not just to see what you look like but in general speaking with you and seeing reactions, body language etc. You might suggest it to others you interview with rather than having to travel...especially given the price of gas.

My chamber maid uses it all the time becuase she is Lituanian and it is a good way to keep in touch with family back home and they can all see each other and chat - all the kids and relatives chime in and it seems quite social. Also skype to skype is still completely free which is a total bonus. You could have a handy batch of fresh baked cookies to show but total agree with the others it is a set the scene and have your hair done scenario. Plus if you mention it to other interview people they will be impressed with your tech savy and saving them time and money.

You have to have a camera or you can't use Skype. This is a great way to have an interview without having to go anywhere. Not just to see what you look like but in general speaking with you and seeing reactions, body language etc. You might suggest it to others you interview with rather than having to travel...especially given the price of gas.
I use Skype all the time with no camera. In this case it would help but it is not essential to use Skype. I agree that the interviewer might want the camera for lots of reasons.

I use Skype all the time with no camera. In this case it would help but it is not essential to use Skype. I agree that the interviewer might want the camera for lots of reasons.
So what do you use? Just a microphone?? I just thought the purpose of Skype was to have visual contact. I just don't know enough about it I guess.

So what do you use? Just a microphone?? I just thought the purpose of Skype was to have visual contact. I just don't know enough about it I guess.
When the call is made and when it is answered, YOU decide if it is a video call.

The cost of the camera is NOT a lot of money. You know how cheap I am, I have a decent one and bought it when I was scraping the bottom of the checking account. In this instance to NOT get a camera is "penny-wise, pound-foolish". GET the camera. And yes, stage the area. Make certain the background looks great. You can check what is being picked up by the camera without making a call. Position the camers to show the best. It is a totally free thing - no cost other than the camera. There is an option to make paid calls but I have always clicked no or cancel or whatever. You can - and should - be careful who you accept calls from. Be certain to get the ID of the interviewer so you accept the correct call for this interview. I get scam calls and just block them or refuse to accept the calls - that is why the ID is important. You do not have to use your name as your ID either. It is like here or signing up for an e-mail.

My chamber maid uses it all the time becuase she is Lituanian and it is a good way to keep in touch with family back home and they can all see each other and chat - all the kids and relatives chime in and it seems quite social. Also skype to skype is still completely free which is a total bonus. You could have a handy batch of fresh baked cookies to show but total agree with the others it is a set the scene and have your hair done scenario. Plus if you mention it to other interview people they will be impressed with your tech savy and saving them time and money..
You could have a handy batch of fresh baked cookies to show but total agree with the others it is a set the scene and have your hair done scenario. Plus if you mention it to other interview people they will be impressed with your tech savy and saving them time and money.
Oh, right! And make sure YOU look good, too, as Cambs says! Totally agree that tech-savvy is important. Figure it all out and just use it gracefully.

thanks, we may get one but the interviewer said not to worry just send a pic...

thanks, we may get one but the interviewer said not to worry just send a pic....
I didn't think a potential employer could legally ask for a photo?
FYI:
Employers cannot ask questions, during the interview or on the application form, regarding title of Mr., Mrs. And Miss. This inquiry is considered gender and/or marital status related.

Religion - A candidate cannot be asked questions regarding the religious holidays they observe. In addition, a question asking if the candidate would be available for Saturday or Sunday work may seem discouraging to a candidate whose religion does not prohibit work on one or both of these days. If your business requires weekend work, it is best to make a statement to the applicant that you make a reasonable effort to accommodate religious beliefs or practices.
Ethnicity - Any questions regarding citizenship, nationality, ancestry, or native language cannot be asked during the interview. An employer can ask if the candidate is eligible to work in the United States. If you ask this question during the interview, you should ask this of all applicants. Otherwise, it can imply discrimination if you ask it of only those candidates you think may not have citizenship. All employees are required to provide authorization of eligibility to work in the United States after they are hired.
Race - A prospective employer cannot ask any questions regarding an applicant's race, skin color, hair color, etc during the interview or on an application form. Any observations an interviewer makes regarding such should not be indicated on the application form, resume, or noted anywhere in the applicants file. An employer cannot request a photo be submitted with the application. Only after hiring can an employer ask for a photo identification (while completing the I-9 form) to confirm the identity of the employee. A photo may be taken after hiring the employee if the company requires photo I.D.'s be carried by all employees.

thanks, we may get one but the interviewer said not to worry just send a pic....
BUT with a camera they see you and if they have a camera also, you can see them.
I think it is actually worth spending $30-50 for a web cam...you can take it with you and it may come in handy for other things. Photos are illegal....so... In actuality...video/skyping...would be too....I mean...if someone required it...not so in your case.

Back