Slanderous Reviewers can be Sued

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am curious to know how a site such as trip advisor or bandb.com or any of the many many sites that encourage reviews would be able to tell if a reviewer stayed at the place they were submitting a review for.
what would constitute proof of stay?
and that's just the beginning ......
I would imagine a receipt or bill of some kind, or show a credit card charge to the property(?)
Some travel sites (I think Hotels.com?) only allow you to leave reviews on their site if you purchased through their site. That's one way to verify.
Also, there are ways to make this work. A site like TripAdvisor could give out unique ID codes that innkeepers could give out only to guests who have completed a stay at their inns. That code could be used when posting a review on TripAdvisor, and it would verify the traveler as having stayed there. To prevent fraud, once a code is used, then it can't be used again. It wouldn't hedge against false positive reviews as well as false negative, but it would be a good thing to have. The trick is how to distribute the codes to independent properties, how to easily integrate it into your technology, etc. I'm sure some folks smarter than me can figure that out. :)

i am curious to know how a site such as trip advisor or bandb.com or any of the many many sites that encourage reviews would be able to tell if a reviewer stayed at the place they were submitting a review for.
I would imagine a receipt or bill of some kind, or show a credit card charge to the property(?)
Some travel sites (I think Hotels.com?) only allow you to leave reviews on their site if you purchased through their site. That's one way to verify.
Also, there are ways to make this work. A site like TripAdvisor could give out unique ID codes that innkeepers could give out only to guests who have completed a stay at their inns. That code could be used when posting a review on TripAdvisor, and it would verify the traveler as having stayed there. To prevent fraud, once a code is used, then it can't be used again. It wouldn't hedge against false positive reviews as well as false negative, but it would be a good thing to have. The trick is how to distribute the codes to independent properties, how to easily integrate it into your technology, etc. I'm sure some folks smarter than me can figure that out. :)
The trick is how to distribute the codes to independent properties, how to easily integrate it into your technology, etc.
I think the trickier thing would be to distribute the codes independently. As an owner, am I likely to give the code to someone who was miserable through no fault of my own? The end result would be innkeepers hording the codes and only giving them out to happy smiling guests on their way out the door. Seems to me it would slant the reviews toward the positive.

The trick is how to distribute the codes to independent properties, how to easily integrate it into your technology, etc.
I think the trickier thing would be to distribute the codes independently. As an owner, am I likely to give the code to someone who was miserable through no fault of my own? The end result would be innkeepers hording the codes and only giving them out to happy smiling guests on their way out the door. Seems to me it would slant the reviews toward the positive.
I agree. Not to mention that guests will find codes a pain in the
potty-mouth.gif
and either lose them or not review at all.
Same essential reason my we get far more reviews on bb.com than on TA or Yelp. You don't have to open an account to review on bb.com, whereas you do most other places. I think that's a stumbling block to many well-meaning guests who would otherwise review.

It's not going to happen. Too much work, too much time, for TA to deal with bad review complaints case by case is more time and cost effective for them. Of course ignoring most of the complaints until a wheel squeaks loud enough is probably their policy.
I can imagine every restaurant, hotel, B&B, tourist company would say a bad review is a false one, correct? Looking at it from their perspective. Threatening false reviews will not be tolerated is good on their part, saying they will require proof of stay/visit would be great - even if they never followed up on it. At least reviewers would assume they will be required to provide proof. Isn't this what BandB.com does?
But let's face it, it is a money issue. They make money, the ads, they send up follow up email and spam from your review.

It's not going to happen. Too much work, too much time, for TA to deal with bad review complaints case by case is more time and cost effective for them. Of course ignoring most of the complaints until a wheel squeaks loud enough is probably their policy.
I can imagine every restaurant, hotel, B&B, tourist company would say a bad review is a false one, correct? Looking at it from their perspective. Threatening false reviews will not be tolerated is good on their part, saying they will require proof of stay/visit would be great - even if they never followed up on it. At least reviewers would assume they will be required to provide proof. Isn't this what BandB.com does?
But let's face it, it is a money issue. They make money, the ads, they send up follow up email and spam from your review..
So what proof does BandB.com require? I never tried to post a review there.

But let's face it, it is a money issue. They make money, the ads, they send up follow up email and spam from your review..
catlady said:
No proof to review, but if you give a bad review they will ask for proof of the stay (I think that was the answer BandB.com gave). I believe that is what John said here many moons ago when the reviews first arrived on BandB.com and innkeepers were up in arms as their could be possible fraudulant reviews and he kept trying to convince innkeepers to get into the review game.

catlady said:
Yes, if you leave a negative review, b&b .com requires proof that you actually stayed there.

shouldn't you have to have proof of stay to post any kind of reivew? good or bad?
because what about the other issue .... suspecting that a b&b has glowing reviews that are fabricated ....
i think it was proud texan (sorry if it wasn't) who mentioned that each time his place gets up to number one on ta, a sudden barrage of outstanding reviews for his competition are posted to push his place back down to #2 or #3.
certainly a false negative review of your place is much more serious an issue than false positive reviews of other places. but i understand it is also a problem. having stayed at a place that had lots of recent, glowing reviews i wondered, am i at the same place??
i don't know when these 'impartial reviews' became an industry standard.
but as i've said before, i am totally irritated by constantly being asked via email to review my latest purchase ... you haven't reviewed your latest purchase ... did you forget to post your review ... for everything i buy online.
sign me: not a fan of reviews

shouldn't you have to have proof of stay to post any kind of reivew? good or bad?
because what about the other issue .... suspecting that a b&b has glowing reviews that are fabricated ....
i think it was proud texan (sorry if it wasn't) who mentioned that each time his place gets up to number one on ta, a sudden barrage of outstanding reviews for his competition are posted to push his place back down to #2 or #3.
certainly a false negative review of your place is much more serious an issue than false positive reviews of other places. but i understand it is also a problem. having stayed at a place that had lots of recent, glowing reviews i wondered, am i at the same place??
but as i've said before, i am totally irritated by constantly being asked via email to review my latest purchase ... you haven't reviewed your latest purchase ... did you forget to post your review ... for everything i buy online.
sign me: not a fan of reviews.
I finally broke down and bought a penny book on Amazon. The seller emailed numerous times that I should leave a review. Gimme a break. I bought a book. I got the book. Write a review that I bought a book and got a book in the mail? There was no personal service involved. It's a warehouse.

I finally broke down and bought a penny book on Amazon. The seller emailed numerous times that I should leave a review. Gimme a break. I bought a book. I got the book. Write a review that I bought a book and got a book in the mail? There was no personal service involved. It's a warehouse.
Bree said:
They just want their positive rating to be as high as possible. Every positive review keeps it up or raises it. They don't care if your review says, "Yep, got the book" as long as it's positive.

Bree said:
They just want their positive rating to be as high as possible. Every positive review keeps it up or raises it. They don't care if your review says, "Yep, got the book" as long as it's positive.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
I sell books on Amazon. Rarely do I get reviews. I think I have 30 in 7 years! This outfit has tens of thousands of reviews, they didn't need to keep emailing me!

Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
I sell books on Amazon. Rarely do I get reviews. I think I have 30 in 7 years! This outfit has tens of thousands of reviews, they didn't need to keep emailing me!
Yes, so if they get one or two bad reviews, their rating is still 99.9% good. Two bad reviews for someone with 20 reviews and they're down to 90%!
=)
Kk.

Back