Sleep Number Bed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have stayed in a couple of places that had the sleep number bed and we tried it out and adjusted each side. It's OK. I don't know what the price difference is compared to a "traditional" mattress or how they stand up over time, so you'd want to check on that to see if they are worth the investment. I'd read some reviews on that aspect.
Our guests favored our mattresses that were mid-firm name brand models that could be flipped & rotated (which I did fairly often). They were always asking me for the brand and type. I think a really good quality mattress pad or topper can make the difference though too.
Again, I think if you can stay at a couple of places it will help you with some ideas for your room(s)..
Well the model I tried out was about $3000! There were higher priced ones!!!
The prices have dropped tremendously. I suppose with the more levels of adjustment the price goes up.
Nowadays, the price is comparable to a regular mattress.
I just wondered if anyone had tried them and/or if they liked them.
Thanks for your feedback.

I have stayed in a couple of places that had the sleep number bed and we tried it out and adjusted each side. It's OK. I don't know what the price difference is compared to a "traditional" mattress or how they stand up over time, so you'd want to check on that to see if they are worth the investment. I'd read some reviews on that aspect.
Our guests favored our mattresses that were mid-firm name brand models that could be flipped & rotated (which I did fairly often). They were always asking me for the brand and type. I think a really good quality mattress pad or topper can make the difference though too.
Again, I think if you can stay at a couple of places it will help you with some ideas for your room(s)..
The prices have dropped tremendously. I suppose with the more levels of adjustment the price goes up.
We stayed in a hotel that had them. But, with so many different people twiddling with it, the adjustment knob didn't do anything. We also changed out our showerheads so they have no adjustments at all except to be able to move the showerhead a little one way or the other. Having the adjustable sprays was a nightmare.
Guests were telling us there was no water, no hot water, no cold water and on and on and all it was was a mis-adjustment fo the spray nozzle.
Have not had a single complaint in over a year.
All that to say, the least amount of adjustments the several thousands of guests can make to anything, the better.

We stayed in a hotel that had them. But, with so many different people twiddling with it, the adjustment knob didn't do anything. We also changed out our showerheads so they have no adjustments at all except to be able to move the showerhead a little one way or the other. Having the adjustable sprays was a nightmare.
Guests were telling us there was no water, no hot water, no cold water and on and on and all it was was a mis-adjustment fo the spray nozzle.
All that to say, the least amount of adjustments the several thousands of guests can make to anything, the better.
Madeleine said:
Yes, when I bought my jet tubs, they tried to sell me the controls with all the programmable options, bells and whistles. I told them I'd prefer just an on/off switch and nothing more!
Extra features are fine for your own home, where you have time to learn them (if you even want to). But for people arriving tired and only staying a night or two at a strange (to them) place, they don't have time or desire to learn features.

Right on about shower nozzles that you can't really adjust except directionally a little bit. Crazy guests here thought our antique rain shower type head over our clawfoot tub was "adjustable" and broke it. Had to order an entire assembly. People do weird things in the shower....

They don't have them here. I've never seen one. (Probably because they don't comply with our laws.)
We have found that the bed our guests like best is an extremely firm bed with a 3" memory foam topper (Novaform) from Costco. Our guests always rave about it. Funny part is that we bought the new firm mattress because it was a specific mattress made for hotels/b&bs. But we were shocked when it arrived and it was as hard as could be. We were afraid that no one could sleep on it, so we bought the topper..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We have found that the bed our guests like best is an extremely firm bed with a 3" memory foam topper (Novaform) from Costco. Our guests always rave about it.
Amazing timing! After a year with it, I took the expensive 3" memory foam topper off my own bed just this morning! Pitched it in the trash. I decided that I hate it. Why would I roll over in the night and want the spot I just moved from remain as a hole in the mattress for a while?
I think memory foam is just a gimmick. It certainly doesn't support any better than regular foam rubber. In fact, it's worse! What I want is something that springs back immediately when I move.
Well, the guests rave about it. They keep on asking me about that bed and many have remarked on TA about it as well. I don't argue with them... super firm bed and a topper. How firm was the bed? I thought it was cinderblock covered with cotton batting.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, the guests rave about it. They keep on asking me about that bed and many have remarked on TA about it as well.
And think how much MORE they'd love it with real foam rubber!
Yes, you can see I really hate that memory foam. Eight hours a day for a year I devoted to the stuff. Some people have given less time to their first marriage.
But I've taken to heart your firm matress. That with a nice soft mattress topper should be perfect. Now, about that topper. Feathers? Cotton? Poly? Who the hell knows? Standard foam rubber seems so 1960, but may be the best way to go.
Unless foam rubber has come a loooong way baby from the 60's I wouldn't go there. I remember foam being nasty and smelly. Especially in the summer when it was damp and hot.
Cotton is the route I have taken because I need to be able to wash everything. If it's a feather or down topper how are you going to clean it? (I do throw the down comforters in the wash, but I don't wash those as often as the mattress toppers.)
Madeleine said:
Unless foam rubber has come a loooong way baby from the 60's I wouldn't go there. I remember foam being nasty and smelly. Especially in the summer when it was damp and hot.
Yes, I was just meaning that I'd rather have regular foam rubber than memory foam. But personally I'm planning to go with a synthetic material that's soft but springs back instantly when you take pressure off. The seller's description is "Polyester cluster fibers, provides a down-like performance and the shell fabric is woven of 100% Cambric Cotton, 230 thread count. Depth is 2 1/2"."
It will be on top the mattress but inside the water-proof/bedbug proof mattress protector.
be5e70luxurellemain.jpg

That looks comfy! You'll need really deep pockets on the fitted sheets.
Madeleine said:
You'll need really deep pockets on the fitted sheets.
I got this back from Comphy:
[COLOR= #002060]Our fitted sheets have an 18 inch deep pocket, but they can fit smaller mattresses as well, since the fitted sheet has very strong elastic that gathers under the middle of the mattress.[/COLOR]
Sounds like a 16" mattress will be right for me. After I add the topper I'll be at just over 18", and I'd much rather have a tight fit than a loose fit. Luckily, 16" seems to be a standard thickness for many mattresses.

Back