Sleep Number Bed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colleen848

Reaction score
Does anyone or has anyone tried the sleep number bed that adjusts to different firmness?
Sounds like it may be a good option since people differ on their preference.

I don't sleep on one every day, but I have stayed recently at hotels with them. I definitely am a button pusher (hmmm...let's see what this does), and thought I would love it. New gadget, new fun.
Turned out that I didn't know what I was doing, and slept poorly, and I never really got the hang of it. The one I was using had 100 potential number settings for firm to soft, for the uninitiated, knowing which number or range of numbers to use was a guessing game, and with a few nights at a place, it didn't give me enough time to narrow down the guesses to the right range.
I imagine that some guests might have the same issue.
I liked it in concept, but in practice, I didn't.

I don't sleep on one every day, but I have stayed recently at hotels with them. I definitely am a button pusher (hmmm...let's see what this does), and thought I would love it. New gadget, new fun.
Turned out that I didn't know what I was doing, and slept poorly, and I never really got the hang of it. The one I was using had 100 potential number settings for firm to soft, for the uninitiated, knowing which number or range of numbers to use was a guessing game, and with a few nights at a place, it didn't give me enough time to narrow down the guesses to the right range.
I liked it in concept, but in practice, I didn't..
I don't know why this question posted twice. Glitch I suppose.
What firmness of mattress do you recommend? Pillow top?....etc
I have never slept on one either but thought it to be a rather neat option. I guess you would just pick one in the middle and take it from there.
The old saying of "you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all the time".

I don't know why this question posted twice. Glitch I suppose.
What firmness of mattress do you recommend? Pillow top?....etc
I have never slept on one either but thought it to be a rather neat option. I guess you would just pick one in the middle and take it from there.
The old saying of "you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all the time".
Firm mattress with a puffy top that is removable. Not a pillow top. As soon as it is beaten up a little the bed is useless. You can always replace a mattress pad or a removable mattress topper.

They don't have them here. I've never seen one. (Probably because they don't comply with our laws.)
We have found that the bed our guests like best is an extremely firm bed with a 3" memory foam topper (Novaform) from Costco. Our guests always rave about it. Funny part is that we bought the new firm mattress because it was a specific mattress made for hotels/b&bs. But we were shocked when it arrived and it was as hard as could be. We were afraid that no one could sleep on it, so we bought the topper.

They don't have them here. I've never seen one. (Probably because they don't comply with our laws.)
We have found that the bed our guests like best is an extremely firm bed with a 3" memory foam topper (Novaform) from Costco. Our guests always rave about it. Funny part is that we bought the new firm mattress because it was a specific mattress made for hotels/b&bs. But we were shocked when it arrived and it was as hard as could be. We were afraid that no one could sleep on it, so we bought the topper..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We have found that the bed our guests like best is an extremely firm bed with a 3" memory foam topper (Novaform) from Costco. Our guests always rave about it.
Amazing timing! After a year with it, I took the expensive 3" memory foam topper off my own bed just this morning! Pitched it in the trash. I decided that I hate it. Why would I roll over in the night and want the spot I just moved from remain as a hole in the mattress for a while?
I think memory foam is just a gimmick. It certainly doesn't support any better than regular foam rubber. In fact, it's worse! What I want is something that springs back immediately when I move.

We have found that the bed our guests like best is an extremely firm bed with a 3" memory foam topper (Novaform) from Costco. Our guests always rave about it. Funny part is that we bought the new firm mattress because it was a specific mattress made for hotels/b&bs. But we were shocked when it arrived and it was as hard as could be. We were afraid that no one could sleep on it, so we bought the topper..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We have found that the bed our guests like best is an extremely firm bed with a 3" memory foam topper (Novaform) from Costco. Our guests always rave about it.
Amazing timing! After a year with it, I took the expensive 3" memory foam topper off my own bed just this morning! Pitched it in the trash. I decided that I hate it. Why would I roll over in the night and want the spot I just moved from remain as a hole in the mattress for a while?
I think memory foam is just a gimmick. It certainly doesn't support any better than regular foam rubber. In fact, it's worse! What I want is something that springs back immediately when I move.
Well, the guests rave about it. They keep on asking me about that bed and many have remarked on TA about it as well. I don't argue with them... super firm bed and a topper. How firm was the bed? I thought it was cinderblock covered with cotton batting.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, the guests rave about it. They keep on asking me about that bed and many have remarked on TA about it as well. I don't argue with them... super firm bed and a topper. How firm was the bed? I thought it was cinderblock covered with cotton batting.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, the guests rave about it. They keep on asking me about that bed and many have remarked on TA about it as well.
And think how much MORE they'd love it with real foam rubber!
Yes, you can see I really hate that memory foam. Eight hours a day for a year I devoted to the stuff. Some people have given less time to their first marriage.
But I've taken to heart your firm matress. That with a nice soft mattress topper should be perfect. Now, about that topper. Feathers? Cotton? Poly? Who the hell knows? Standard foam rubber seems so 1960, but may be the best way to go.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Well, the guests rave about it. They keep on asking me about that bed and many have remarked on TA about it as well.
Yes, you can see I really hate that memory foam. Eight hours a day for a year I devoted to the stuff. Some people have given less time to their first marriage.
But I've taken to heart your firm matress. That with a nice soft mattress topper should be perfect. Now, about that topper. Feathers? Cotton? Poly? Who the hell knows? Standard foam rubber seems so 1960, but may be the best way to go.
You have to be a little careful with foam rubber because it can be a place for mold to grow.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Watch for feathers or have an alternative, allergy sufferers may not appreciate the feather topper.
Personally I have a feather topper a good 4+" on a good quality mattress. Have been using that for almost 4 years after tossing the memory foam from Costco. I fluff the down/feather topper when I change the sheets, and air it out at least once every 8-12 weeks, washing it every other time. It wasn't cheap but worth it.
My plan is to offer feather, memory, and a hypoallergenic version, let the guests choose the room based on the bed.
BTW are you still loving the robe? and the Comphy sheets?

we bought for our last 4mattresses pocket sprung with a memory foam layer on the top but its inside the mattress if you see what I mean - the store guy said it helps keep the mattress in good shape longer but we will see. The guests rave about them and one couple went to the shop we bought from and got one. However I would point out when asked that particular couple where late 50's and bought their mattress when they got married in their early 20's so feel their mattress was due for a change. I think in a lot of cases people don't realise how bad their mattress is till they go away and sleep on a decent one.

I tried one out in the store but that really doesn't count. I really couldn't tell a difference. Have you looked at the prices of the real sleep number beds??? I wouldn't put that much money into a guest mattress. We have firm Serta mattresses with the memory foam toppers and everyone has said how much they liked them. That's what I sleep on as well.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Unless foam rubber has come a loooong way baby from the 60's I wouldn't go there. I remember foam being nasty and smelly. Especially in the summer when it was damp and hot.
Cotton is the route I have taken because I need to be able to wash everything. If it's a feather or down topper how are you going to clean it? (I do throw the down comforters in the wash, but I don't wash those as often as the mattress toppers.)

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Watch for feathers or have an alternative, allergy sufferers may not appreciate the feather topper.
Personally I have a feather topper a good 4+" on a good quality mattress. Have been using that for almost 4 years after tossing the memory foam from Costco. I fluff the down/feather topper when I change the sheets, and air it out at least once every 8-12 weeks, washing it every other time. It wasn't cheap but worth it.
My plan is to offer feather, memory, and a hypoallergenic version, let the guests choose the room based on the bed.
Weaver said:
Yes, I'm going with a synthetic topper.
Weaver said:
Absolutely! The fluffy robe is just as soft after washing it as it was when it arrived, and so far the sheets always come out of the dryer looking ironed (or close enough for me, and much better than cotton). No problems at all with them, and they really feel great.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Unless foam rubber has come a loooong way baby from the 60's I wouldn't go there. I remember foam being nasty and smelly. Especially in the summer when it was damp and hot.
Cotton is the route I have taken because I need to be able to wash everything. If it's a feather or down topper how are you going to clean it? (I do throw the down comforters in the wash, but I don't wash those as often as the mattress toppers.)
Madeleine said:
Yes, I was just meaning that I'd rather have regular foam rubber than memory foam. But personally I'm planning to go with a synthetic material that's soft but springs back instantly when you take pressure off. The seller's description is "Polyester cluster fibers, provides a down-like performance and the shell fabric is woven of 100% Cambric Cotton, 230 thread count. Depth is 2 1/2"."
It will be on top the mattress but inside the water-proof/bedbug proof mattress protector.
be5e70luxurellemain.jpg

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Yes, I was just meaning that I'd rather have regular foam rubber than memory foam. But personally I'm planning to go with a synthetic material that's soft but springs back instantly when you take pressure off. The seller's description is "Polyester cluster fibers, provides a down-like performance and the shell fabric is woven of 100% Cambric Cotton, 230 thread count. Depth is 2 1/2"."
It will be on top the mattress but inside the water-proof/bedbug proof mattress protector.
be5e70luxurellemain.jpg

That looks comfy! You'll need really deep pockets on the fitted sheets.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
be5e70luxurellemain.jpg

Madeleine said:
The Comphy-brand sheets I'm using are 18". I e-mailed them just yesterday to verify that, to get a nice tight sheet fit, I need the mattress thickness plus topper to equal 18". Haven't heard back from them yet on what's ideal.
Never dreamed so much science and calculation went into beds!!!

I have stayed in a couple of places that had the sleep number bed and we tried it out and adjusted each side. It's OK. I don't know what the price difference is compared to a "traditional" mattress or how they stand up over time, so you'd want to check on that to see if they are worth the investment. I'd read some reviews on that aspect.
Our guests favored our mattresses that were mid-firm name brand models that could be flipped & rotated (which I did fairly often). They were always asking me for the brand and type. I think a really good quality mattress pad or topper can make the difference though too.
Again, I think if you can stay at a couple of places it will help you with some ideas for your room(s).

I have stayed in a couple of places that had the sleep number bed and we tried it out and adjusted each side. It's OK. I don't know what the price difference is compared to a "traditional" mattress or how they stand up over time, so you'd want to check on that to see if they are worth the investment. I'd read some reviews on that aspect.
Our guests favored our mattresses that were mid-firm name brand models that could be flipped & rotated (which I did fairly often). They were always asking me for the brand and type. I think a really good quality mattress pad or topper can make the difference though too.
Again, I think if you can stay at a couple of places it will help you with some ideas for your room(s)..
Well the model I tried out was about $3000! There were higher priced ones!!!

Again, I think if you can stay at a couple of places it will help you with some ideas for your room(s)..
Well the model I tried out was about $3000! There were higher priced ones!!!
The prices have dropped tremendously. I suppose with the more levels of adjustment the price goes up.
Nowadays, the price is comparable to a regular mattress.
I just wondered if anyone had tried them and/or if they liked them.
Thanks for your feedback.

Back