Sleeping on top of covers and laundry question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
Just had house guests leave who said they slept on top of the covers ... so not to worry about laundry. But they stayed for 5 nights ... I am washing the two quilts and six pillow shams and big puffy comforters that had been folded at the end of the beds they surely used to keep warm. Also the pillow cases as the shams are just laid across the pillows. And I think someone slept on a towel as well. Washing all the bed linens the little people (age 3 and 5) were provided with. I'm not sure what they did. I think maybe I should strip all the beds and wash it all just to be sure.
This confuses me. I don't know why people sleep this way.
I made sure everything was laundered and fresh for them (yes, the sheets too of course) and all seemed quite cozy to me ... I am baffled. Did they think they were saving me work?
Do you routinely wash the quilts and comforters on all the guest beds between guests? I think we talked about this before ...

They think they are saving you work - on another forum they had a couple who each person only showered each day (ie one shower per couple each day) - she was like why did they bother as its not less work for me as I still have to clean it every day - better both showered every other day, but they clearly thought they were helping!

Wow. Thanks for nothin'!
We don't wash the bed covers every turnover. We have backup for every room, so we do them when we can and during spring cleaning in anticipation of the season.
That is what sheets are for. Sheeesh.

They think it saves work because no one washes the quilts, right?
It's a s**tload more work as far as I'm concerned so if they come back again explain that to them.

I was concerned they might be chilly and asked if they were warm enough after the first night. One answer was 'warm is relative', one was 'not really'. So I gave them each space heaters but was anxious about the room with the little ones in it. Odd ... I put a thermal blanket over the top sheet then a blanket then a quilt on each of the beds, plus the comforters. I think they would have been warm if they'd slept IN the beds. If they'd told me how they were sleeping I might have withheld the heaters and suggested they get under all those covers to start with :)

I was concerned they might be chilly and asked if they were warm enough after the first night. One answer was 'warm is relative', one was 'not really'. So I gave them each space heaters but was anxious about the room with the little ones in it. Odd ... I put a thermal blanket over the top sheet then a blanket then a quilt on each of the beds, plus the comforters. I think they would have been warm if they'd slept IN the beds. If they'd told me how they were sleeping I might have withheld the heaters and suggested they get under all those covers to start with :).
Each room here has a thermostat. The beds have sheets, blankets, quilts AND, at this time of year, down duvets.
Do we hear that the guests were cold? Oh yes we do. "It would be nice if you provided blankets," has been heard in the morning. I believe they mean MORE blankets rather than seriously thinking there are no blanket type coverings on the beds.
As an example, the heat over here goes off at 8 pm, I have a top sheet and a polyester, not down, duvet. Am I cold? No. If I had all the bed linens the guests have I'd have them on the floor by morning! So, guests have TWO more warming layers than I have and they have a thermostat to turn the heat up. Plus, the furnaces are all on that side of the house so there is ambient heating that I don't have. (Not that it's about me.)
I've suggested the guest turn up the heat. Oh no, we like to have the windows open! Then you might find it's a little cold but I'm having trouble figuring how.

brrrrr ... I think I'd be chilly with how you sleep yourself but sometimes it depends on the room and the house.
haha ... fresh air I had an old auntie who slept with the window 'cracked' all year round. She had no screens in her room and never complained of bug bites. Was amused by little snowdrifts on the foot of her bed and the occasional small bird that would fly in the window.

I was concerned they might be chilly and asked if they were warm enough after the first night. One answer was 'warm is relative', one was 'not really'. So I gave them each space heaters but was anxious about the room with the little ones in it. Odd ... I put a thermal blanket over the top sheet then a blanket then a quilt on each of the beds, plus the comforters. I think they would have been warm if they'd slept IN the beds. If they'd told me how they were sleeping I might have withheld the heaters and suggested they get under all those covers to start with :).
Each room here has a thermostat. The beds have sheets, blankets, quilts AND, at this time of year, down duvets.
Do we hear that the guests were cold? Oh yes we do. "It would be nice if you provided blankets," has been heard in the morning. I believe they mean MORE blankets rather than seriously thinking there are no blanket type coverings on the beds.
As an example, the heat over here goes off at 8 pm, I have a top sheet and a polyester, not down, duvet. Am I cold? No. If I had all the bed linens the guests have I'd have them on the floor by morning! So, guests have TWO more warming layers than I have and they have a thermostat to turn the heat up. Plus, the furnaces are all on that side of the house so there is ambient heating that I don't have. (Not that it's about me.)
I've suggested the guest turn up the heat. Oh no, we like to have the windows open! Then you might find it's a little cold but I'm having trouble figuring how.
I hate to say it but some people should never leave home. No matter where they are going they try to recreate "home" instead of adapting to the new situation they are in.
Mort, you certainly have provided enough options for their comfort. If they are still cold they need to cuddle up!
devil_smile.gif

I always find this baffling. I can sort of understand some concerns about linens - all those 20/20 episodes with the black light and everything but it's the comforter that is less likely to hit the laundry each time. Why would you want to lay on that and avoid my nice clean sheets with hospital corners? I don't think it's a well thought out strategy and it always makes me worry that maybe they didn't find the cabin clean enough??

Had a repeat couple here this last weekend. This time they brought their adult son along. I noticed the 2nd bed (a daybed) unused when I went in to fluff, just a few wrinkles in the cover like it was sat or laid on.
When the checked out the son was carrying a sleeping bag and the mom said he sleeps in it even in his dorm. He laughed and said it was easier to pop it in the wash each week than it is to remove the sheets and remake.

Had a repeat couple here this last weekend. This time they brought their adult son along. I noticed the 2nd bed (a daybed) unused when I went in to fluff, just a few wrinkles in the cover like it was sat or laid on.
When the checked out the son was carrying a sleeping bag and the mom said he sleeps in it even in his dorm. He laughed and said it was easier to pop it in the wash each week than it is to remove the sheets and remake..
Wait! I wasn't there this weekend!
Yes, generally speaking, if there is going to be someone who doesn't sleep under the covers it's going to be a kid. We've had whole families do this.

... my guests didn't bring sleeping bags. But yes I've seen that with a few college aged kids - I guess it's warm and cozy wherever they go.

seashanty said:
Did they think they were saving me work?
Do you routinely wash the quilts and comforters on all the guest beds between guests?
Yes, they thought they were being helpful.
I don't wash comforters between every guest, but I have backups and wash them pretty often. Or if they look like they were slept on.
=)
Kk.

We don't wash blankets in between guest only the sheets. (unless the blankets need it.) If we need to wash between guests we have extra blankets in the back to sub if the room is rented that night or grab from an unused room if the extras doesn't match the certain room.
We also have a wicker carriage in the hall which holds extra blankets (including wool), pillows with pillowcases (foam and feathers), big towels, and a teddy bear. We tell the guests to help themselves to the carriage and just leave them in the room and we will put them back into the carriage after washing. The pillows and teddy bear are the most often used items from the carriage.

We don't wash blankets in between guest only the sheets. (unless the blankets need it.) If we need to wash between guests we have extra blankets in the back to sub if the room is rented that night or grab from an unused room if the extras doesn't match the certain room.
We also have a wicker carriage in the hall which holds extra blankets (including wool), pillows with pillowcases (foam and feathers), big towels, and a teddy bear. We tell the guests to help themselves to the carriage and just leave them in the room and we will put them back into the carriage after washing. The pillows and teddy bear are the most often used items from the carriage..
I love the teddy bear idea!

Arrrrrrgh...not cool of the guests. Regardless of what the guests told me or how the bed appeared, I would have washed everything as usual, PLUS the top cover or spread. More work, not less because of the bulkiness of anyone's spreads (unless you've gone to a set up similar to some hotels with just the strip of fabric at the base of the bed).
I used white or off white matelasse coverlets on several beds with folded comforters. Washed the matelasse coverlets between each guest (had backups) and the comforters as needed or at least 2x/month. More work on some of the comforters as they had to go to the commercial laudromat since my washer wasn't big enough. The good thing about using white coverlets is that you could really see anything on them.
Sorry that happened to you... :-(

Arrrrrrgh...not cool of the guests. Regardless of what the guests told me or how the bed appeared, I would have washed everything as usual, PLUS the top cover or spread. More work, not less because of the bulkiness of anyone's spreads (unless you've gone to a set up similar to some hotels with just the strip of fabric at the base of the bed).
I used white or off white matelasse coverlets on several beds with folded comforters. Washed the matelasse coverlets between each guest (had backups) and the comforters as needed or at least 2x/month. More work on some of the comforters as they had to go to the commercial laudromat since my washer wasn't big enough. The good thing about using white coverlets is that you could really see anything on them.
Sorry that happened to you... :-(.
this is what made me laugh about a review my neighbour got (seems really nice and has a nice place) review says basically there wasn't a top sheet and they didn't believe the duvet cover was changed every time so always wanted a top sheet as you never knew who was under it
Duh if there is a top sheet it means it hasn't been changed! that's the purpose of a top sheet!
I think the problem was caused by her using colored linens - we use white cotton if anyone so much as coughs near it before you, you would know.

this is what made me laugh about a review my neighbour got (seems really nice and has a nice place) review says basically there wasn't a top sheet and they didn't believe the duvet cover was changed every time so always wanted a top sheet as you never knew who was under it
Duh if there is a top sheet it means it hasn't been changed! that's the purpose of a top sheet!
I think the problem was caused by her using colored linens - we use white cotton if anyone so much as coughs near it before you, you would know.
Long ago we stayed in an upstairs room over a pub in Portsmouth. Only a thin duvet and cover over the bottom sheet - the polyester kind. At the time I wondered where the top sheet was as I didn't know it is standard practice to clean the duvet covers. It was an uncomfortable night - chilly (February) and the smoke infiltration from the pub was an unexpected displeasure, but the staff members were friendly and the full English - with the beans - was fun and yummy. We got to see HMS Victory and The Mary Rose. I was happy to see it as I remembered whip-rounds in pubs in the early 1980s for some funding for the Mary Rose project.

Long ago we stayed in an upstairs room over a pub in Portsmouth. Only a thin duvet and cover over the bottom sheet - the polyester kind. At the time I wondered where the top sheet was as I didn't know it is standard practice to clean the duvet covers. It was an uncomfortable night - chilly (February) and the smoke infiltration from the pub was an unexpected displeasure, but the staff members were friendly and the full English - with the beans - was fun and yummy. We got to see HMS Victory and The Mary Rose. I was happy to see it as I remembered whip-rounds in pubs in the early 1980s for some funding for the Mary Rose project.
rooms over pubs do tend towards the bottom end of the market - there are exceptions but they tend to be the more gastro pub type places - Portsmouth as one of our busiest ports can be a bit rough and I can 100% guarantee freezing weather in feb!

I use top sheets, and we change/wash the duvet cover after each guest. It's a LOT of extra work to change that duvet cover every, but we do it.
I'm considering leaving a note on the bed saying everything is washed every time, just so they know. Would that be tacky? I want credit for the extra work! I've seen notes like that at Hampton Inns, but that doesn't exactly mean it's classy to do it. But still...

Back