Slideshow help

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, once again I tried to add a slideshow to the website and once again I failed. As far as I can see, I am copying all the code properly (and I am looking at another website where the code is working) but it breaks part way thru. All I end up with are the 'forward' and 'back' buttons. I went so far as to copy the code from the other website to see what would happen. Breaks in the same place as copying it from Dy nami c Dr ive. I can see where it breaks because in FP (maybe other HTML does this, too) the color of the code changes when I've made a mistake.
I copied it both from IE and Firefox in case it was FF giving me grief. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
I'd like to have a slideshow but I might just content myself with stills.

Copy the code into notepad ..then copy and paste it into FP and see if that makes a difference.

Sorry, can't help if I can't see it.

For starters , you are missing the opening <script> tag.

Don't copy from their site...use the code from the dynamic site...that could be the problem. Or other possibilities....
  1. Forgot to upload the images.
  2. Uploaded the images to a different location than that specified in the script code.
  3. Neglected to take into account that upper and lower case letters used in image paths and filenames matter on the web, and have listed them in your code in a way that differs in in case from the actual locations and/or names of the files you uploaded.

Don't copy from their site...use the code from the dynamic site...that could be the problem. Or other possibilities....
  2. Uploaded the images to a different location than that specified in the script code.
  3. Neglected to take into account that upper and lower case letters used in image paths and filenames matter on the web, and have listed them in your code in a way that differs in in case from the actual locations and/or names of the files you uploaded.
I only copied it when I couldn't get the source to work. I figured theirs worked so maybe the source was broken.

I only copied it when I couldn't get the source to work. I figured theirs worked so maybe the source was broken.
Why don't you just spring a few bucks and get the Amara Slide show maker? It is so easy and cheap...and you don't have to mess with any kind of coding. :)

Why don't you just spring a few bucks and get the Amara Slide show maker? It is so easy and cheap...and you don't have to mess with any kind of coding. :)
I might try that. It does look like something I could work with.

For starters , you are missing the opening <script> tag..
swirt said:
Doh! That is probably it right there.
The faseslideshow.js is not on your server ... so it is not getting downloaded
The directions were not all that clear. I thought it just called it out using the link.
If you look through the code and see a location specified that doesn't have http:// and a specific site specified, then it is looking for that file on YOUR site.
Example:
src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3.2/jquery.min.js"
this is looking for the file on googleapis.com

Example:
src="fadeslideshow.js"
is looking for the file in the root of your website.
If its not there, then it won't work.

For starters , you are missing the opening <script> tag..
swirt said:
Doh! That is probably it right there.
The faseslideshow.js is not on your server ... so it is not getting downloaded
The directions were not all that clear. I thought it just called it out using the link.
If you look through the code and see a location specified that doesn't have http:// and a specific site specified, then it is looking for that file on YOUR site.
Example:
src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3.2/jquery.min.js"
this is looking for the file on googleapis.com

Example:
src="fadeslideshow.js"
is looking for the file in the root of your website.
If its not there, then it won't work.
It was weird. I ended up with the photos saved without doing anything except right clicking and saving, but the fadeshow file itself didn't save. I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer. Other things have come up today so the slideshow goes back to the bottom of the list.

catlady said:
I took your advice on this El, and I think it was less than $20 I can't recall, but was sure worth it!!!!!
RIki

catlady said:
I took your advice on this El, and I think it was less than $20 I can't recall, but was sure worth it!!!!!
RIki
Riki- that does look good!

catlady said:
RIki
Cool...looks good :)

catlady said:
RIki
Riki- that does look good!
Thank you both! El turned me onto the software which was easy to learn. I have to admit I was nervous when I first posted it!!!
I wanted something with movement that was not too busy or took too long to come up. I myself get impatient if I go to a website and have to wait for a "count down" before it comes up. Don't have the time...
Riki

Back