Slideshow Image Dimensions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
With some a lot of help from Dumitru, I'm starting to think about redoing my website, since my current theme is no longer supported, and each WordPress update breaks a few more things!

I'm wondering about the best image proportions for the sliders, the big image slide shows we usually put across the top of our websites. Full width, of course, but what about height? I've seen some sites where all you see when you arrive at the website is a huge photo that fills the whole screen, so you have to scroll down to get any info.

My current website sliders (before age and WordPress broke them) were full width but never really very tall, meaning I had to crop out a lot of the photos. I never liked that, but was too lazy to redo things.

Anyway, as far as proportions, I'd welcome some different opinions and maybe links to some sample websites. I've put some temporary sliders on my website using a plugin rather than the broken one that came with my old theme, and I used 800 w x 600 h. That seems like a pretty good proportion, but it's not about what I think. It's what looks and works bests for potential guests!

You should set your width wider, I suggest around 1024. Make sure you've optimized them. They'll pop on a desktop, but you don't want to sacrifice performance on a mobile device.

Sorry I don’t have the optimal size numbers but you’ve got the right idea to not cover the entire reading area with a photo. This is especially true if you use the same photos for multiple pages—readers will think the links they clicked didn’t work. Ask me how I know this and how frustrating it is. (I think mine are 960x320 or thereabouts.)

Back when I first started in this biz, everything was full screen width. When I did my first website update the guy who ran my booking software told me wide screen was out, I should narrow it up. Everything old is new again!

My Full Page Slider is Max 1920x900 and adjusts accordingly to screen size. Am using Revolution Slider.

Back