Slobs... disgusting slobs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Nein

Reaction score
After this weekend, I have determined that there are 3 different types of slobs:
  1. The "I'm a slob all the time and my home is disgusting" slob
  2. The "I have a housekeeper, have completely forgotten how to pick up after myself and am teaching it to my kid" slob
  3. The "My house is immaculate and I'm on vacation so I'm going to act like I NEVER would in my own house because someone else will clean it up for me" slob
I am way too exhausted to go into all the gory details of the brat 6 year old and the chips and candy all over our floors. I picked up her rocks when I went in to freshen the room and dropped them all into mommy's purse. The candy went into the little girl's suitcase which had exploded in the middle of their suite's floor. I still haven't gotten all the hot chocolate stains out of her sheets and am afraid to set anything on the counters until they are sanitized lest it sticks for good. *sigh*
I was in tears today just from shear exhaustion and it had nothing to do with Dirty Sally. Vacation is planned for 11/4-11/7. Going to Gatlinburg to see a friend at his cabin. Counting the hours... 156 more to go!

Rough day! Sorry for you!
I've heard of rock stars wrecking rooms, but at least they then pay to make it right.

Sigh. We've had all of those slobs here, too.
One couple who came every year. My housekeeper came to me and said, 'If I had done that room first I would have gone home in tears.' I told her that I had gone into the room BEFORE she got there and 'cleaned it up'.
Curtains on the floor and trampled, clothing tags, boxes, shopping bags everywhere, old clothing they didn't want, soaking towels on the furniture, etc.
Glad you took care of everything in the appropriate manner. Rocks in mom's purse. *giggle*

One couple who came every year. My housekeeper came to me and said, 'If I had done that room first I would have gone home in tears.' I told her that I had gone into the room BEFORE she got there and 'cleaned it up'.
Curtains on the floor and trampled, clothing tags, boxes, shopping bags everywhere, old clothing they didn't want, soaking towels on the furniture, etc.
Glad you took care of everything in the appropriate manner. Rocks in mom's purse. *giggle*.
Madeleine said:
One couple who came every year....Curtains on the floor and trampled, clothing tags, boxes, shopping bags everywhere, old clothing they didn't want, soaking towels on the furniture, etc.
Those people would not have been allowed to return to my place. I'd live on turnips a few weeks before I'd let them back in!

Glad you took care of everything in the appropriate manner. Rocks in mom's purse. *giggle*.
Madeleine said:
One couple who came every year....Curtains on the floor and trampled, clothing tags, boxes, shopping bags everywhere, old clothing they didn't want, soaking towels on the furniture, etc.
Those people would not have been allowed to return to my place. I'd live on turnips a few weeks before I'd let them back in!
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
How do you block people you don't want back? Is there a way on a reservation system to input an email or other marker to block them?

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
How do you block people you don't want back? Is there a way on a reservation system to input an email or other marker to block them?
TheBeachHouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
There is in rezkey. Otherwise make a note in your system to knock them back. #1 important rule for an innkeeper, make lots of notes, you may not recall them in a year or so.
"Argued LOUD at 2am." "Came back drunk and fought outside the B&B in the parking lot..."

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
No way that I know of. I've suggested it before, but I don't know any system that does it. I'd just have to remember the people, and I think I would, and e-mail them that I can't accommodate them, and refund their money. If they press it, I'll tell them it's because they abused my property and they must stay somewhere else. Then I'd leave it at that. No need getting into an ongoing argument with people like that.

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
There is in rezkey. Otherwise make a note in your system to knock them back. #1 important rule for an innkeeper, make lots of notes, you may not recall them in a year or so.
"Argued LOUD at 2am." "Came back drunk and fought outside the B&B in the parking lot..."
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Automatically blocking I don't think so. What we do is put 'DO NOT BOOK' as their first name. MY rez system highlights repeat names (both names or just last name) and then I go in and look at the previous rez to see if they are not welcome back.
Oddly, I totally understood this couple. He was a sweetheart, she was trying to live up to some sort of class thing she thought she had to do. (ie- poor innkeepers, rich city lady) We let them come back because he was the only one we really had to talk to. In the 4 years they came it was only the last year that she engaged us in conversation.
That was the year they lost all their money...

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!
I am sure I saw it in there! I am looking now. It is NOT the yellow star, it was something else...
There is this area that gives you a choice of symbols, but i was sure there was a RED BOX on here that flagged their name or email address...I think what happened was after much discussion we said it was easier for us to know them back manually, since most of us hit CONFIRM after a reservation request has been submitted.
In this prgrm the name/email info will be in one account, vs a new reservation, it will show the person has stayed with us before. So...give them a symbol, assign a symbol on the page below so they are flagged with something if a new rez comes in for them.
lrg_526fbc0a9d29c907890000c9.jpeg

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!
I am sure I saw it in there! I am looking now. It is NOT the yellow star, it was something else...
There is this area that gives you a choice of symbols, but i was sure there was a RED BOX on here that flagged their name or email address...I think what happened was after much discussion we said it was easier for us to know them back manually, since most of us hit CONFIRM after a reservation request has been submitted.
In this prgrm the name/email info will be in one account, vs a new reservation, it will show the person has stayed with us before. So...give them a symbol, assign a symbol on the page below so they are flagged with something if a new rez comes in for them.

You use the 'Contact Alert' at the bottom right of the contact information box. You can set a color alert with a note as to the reason why. It doesn't automatically block the blocking though - it just lets you know that guest was a problem. If they use their email to book as a repeat, it will come up but otherwise you have to remember them by name. RezKey doesn't automatically flag guests with the same name and email address (I wish it would).

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!

You use the 'Contact Alert' at the bottom right of the contact information box. You can set a color alert with a note as to the reason why. It doesn't automatically block the blocking though - it just lets you know that guest was a problem. If they use their email to book as a repeat, it will come up but otherwise you have to remember them by name. RezKey doesn't automatically flag guests with the same name and email address (I wish it would).
muirford said:
RezKey doesn't automatically flag guests with the same name and email address (I wish it would).
Me too!
Yes, I can flag people, but my reservations are confirmed immediately by the system so anybody can make a reservation. It doesn't block people from making a reservation based on name, e-mail address, street address, etc.
Luckily, I don't have anybody I'd blacklist, so far, but if I do, if they trash my place, I'll surely remember them, at least for a few years!
It's important for me to know the instant a new reservation is made, so I can plan time to flip the room. Anybody know if ResKey can send a text message to my phone the instant a reservation is made? That would be great!

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!

THANK YOU! I knew it was in there somewhere. So if they show up then it will be red or whatever color you want to give it and there is a line for "REASON" there. Awesome!
I did it to the BAD REVIEWER as a test run.

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!

muirford said:
RezKey doesn't automatically flag guests with the same name and email address (I wish it would).
Me too!
Yes, I can flag people, but my reservations are confirmed immediately by the system so anybody can make a reservation. It doesn't block people from making a reservation based on name, e-mail address, street address, etc.
Luckily, I don't have anybody I'd blacklist, so far, but if I do, if they trash my place, I'll surely remember them, at least for a few years!
It's important for me to know the instant a new reservation is made, so I can plan time to flip the room. Anybody know if ResKey can send a text message to my phone the instant a reservation is made? That would be great!
I think so Arks.
BTW remember the forum on rezkey, which is handy. I was about to ask there when we got an answer here. :)

Just found this from John on the ResKey help board:
you can send text messages by entering the email address of your phone; which is usually something like [email protected]
As a tip, the format to send an e-mail as a text message to an AT&T phone is area code+prefix+number @txt.att.net, for example [email protected]
In ResKey, you set where notification messages go under Email Schedules on the Website tab.

Disgusting behavior. I once pulled a hunk of gum off the nightstand and dropped it into their opened suitcase when I was freshening the room. Oopsy...

Disgusting behavior. I once pulled a hunk of gum off the nightstand and dropped it into their opened suitcase when I was freshening the room. Oopsy....
BananaE29 said:
Disgusting behavior. I once pulled a hunk of gum off the nightstand and dropped it into their opened suitcase when I was freshening the room. Oopsy...
Why don't I think of these things???

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
There is in rezkey.
Tell me how!

muirford said:
Me too!
Why don't you just call them or email them after they have made their new reservations with you and tell them that you cannot accommodate them. When they ask why, tell them the sad truth

Back