Sluggish Office Computer Reveals ... Surprises

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
I've got this new part time job ... running the office. And the computer is sooooo slow ... today, I updated and ran the spyware and the antivirus programs. Then I started running the defrag ... and as it went along, I glanced at the bar at the bottom that shows the progress and what was being compressed or moved. And I saw files relating to dating sites and celebrity picture files and some kind of stripping game. Junk.
Lots of different people use and have used the computer ... I'm one of four who have logins and one is 'guest' with email and internet access ... this would be one of the many volunteers who have helped out at the office at some time. I have no idea who visited what.
Also, I had to stop running the defrag as someone else needed to use the computer ... so I didn't get very far with that.
I don't really care what other people do on their own computer, but this bothers me ... especially if it's the cause of a sluggish computer. Since it's my job to maintain the computer as the admin, I'm thinking I am just going to delete any 'crap' I find on there and defy anyone to challenge me about something that's missing. I rather doubt that will happen.
What would you do?

I would delete anything that is not office related. This is not a personal computer - it is an office. Most companies have rules against using company computers for personal use.

Ditto. I would also have a talk with a supervisor or the owner. If it were my business I would want to know.

same here maybe thats why the old admin does not work there anymore

I am with you. iF you find "crap" on these computers...you as Admin...should have the right to clean them up and report to your supervisor/boss about it. Tell them ahead of time...you intend to do this as well. Hopefully you won't find this stuff on the boss's computer
embaressed_smile.gif

i have no 'boss' per se ... it's run by a volunteer (elected) board of trustees although the president of the board might be the one to speak to. the paid 'boss' as i think of him is single and has his own laptop he uses ... so i doubt he'd surf on the office desktop. who knows ... but if someone has visited sites that have compromised the computer in some way ... grrrrrr ... looking forward to a serious clear out!!!

Back