Small things - and it meant a lot

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
I teach 2 knitting classes on Wednesdays. Yesterday I found out one of my ladies is the Mother of a girl we knew at church when we first moved here. I had no idea. She said something that made me "sit up". It was the third time recently that something we did in the past that was so "no big deal" that I did not remember it or thought nothing of it.
She said that I baked a cake for her daughter. I remember her daughter (after finding out who her daughter was) fundraising to go on a mission south of the border somewhere. Apparently there was a dinner and I baked a "beautiful cake for her". In the words of the Mother, 'I will never forget that."
Sunday when ny youngest son called, he told us he had heard from one of his friends who had stayed with us when his parents threw him out (his brother stayed with us for a while too). I remembered the boys but was surprised to hear how much it meant the the boy and that he would mention it after all these years. He said, "I will never forget that."
A couple weeks ago when my potter called to talk to me and I was not home, he had a conversation with DH and talked about the first time we had met and that we had bought him breakfast. that meant so much to him that we did that. Neither of US remember doing it - it would just have been something we do. And he also daid, "I will never forget that."
For me, it was a gift of honey at Christmas from someone at work who had no reason to have given me a gift other than he wanted to (no ulterior motive as he was gay).
All this is to say, we never know when or what small thing we do will be the "important thing" we do for someone. And as innkeepers, we never know when a small kindness or little thoughtful gesture is going to be THE THING a guest will always remember. Just a food for thought.

I said to my friend sue "I am a value added visitor! I always bring useful information or a new way to advertise or make money therefore you are trained to always be pleased to see me!) lol

Oh this is so true.
I would like to share with you something that happen to us.
We had a older couple stay here. They asked if I would mind making up my chesterfield also. As some times he likes to move or change his placing of sleeping. I said sure no problems. So every night I made the bed chesterfield and put it back together every morning.
She noticed my love of dishes. I have a weekness for china, pottery . glass dishes. I own many sets and use them every day. Our guest are served on different set of dishes every day.
Well one day this guest showed up at my door. With a box and said this is for you.I know I have found just the right person to enjoy this. I opened it up . AND low and behold was her set of Limoge from about 1930ish. I was just in shock!!! She said I found a home for my china. I am so happy that it will go to some who enjoys and loves china. I will not take any thing for it I am just happy it has a home. You were so kind to us while we stayed with you . You did so much for both of us. It is my way to say thank you. I tryed to pay her for it .But she sent the money back. With a lovely note.

Oh this is so true.
We had a older couple stay here. They asked if I would mind making up my chesterfield also. As some times he likes to move or change his placing of sleeping. I said sure no problems. So every night I made the bed chesterfield and put it back together every morning.
She noticed my love of dishes. I have a weekness for china, pottery . glass dishes. I own many sets and use them every day. Our guest are served on different set of dishes every day.
Well one day this guest showed up at my door. With a box and said this is for you.I know I have found just the right person to enjoy this. I opened it up . AND low and behold was her set of Limoge from about 1930ish. I was just in shock!!! She said I found a home for my china. I am so happy that it will go to some who enjoys and loves china. I will not take any thing for it I am just happy it has a home. You were so kind to us while we stayed with you . You did so much for both of us. It is my way to say thank you. I tryed to pay her for it .But she sent the money back. With a lovely note..
We just had a really nice review for a couple who stayed for her birthday they were super cute and wrote me a fab laterooms review so my next couple of days are made!

Someone once said to me...
" They may not remember what you said, but they will certainly remember how you made them feel."

Oh this is so true.
Well one day this guest showed up at my door. With a box and said this is for you.I know I have found just the right person to enjoy this. I opened it up . AND low and behold was her set of Limoge from about 1930ish. I was just in shock!!! She said I found a home for my china. I am so happy that it will go to some who enjoys and loves china. I will not take any thing for it I am just happy it has a home. You were so kind to us while we stayed with you . You did so much for both of us. It is my way to say thank you. I tryed to pay her for it .But she sent the money back. With a lovely note..
How wonderful! I have a returning guest who always brings a book (usually art or motorcycle) for DH and a piece or two of Pfaltzgraff for me. Last time she brought me a serving dish I had never seen before. Lovely and thankfully - small.

I said to my friend sue "I am a value added visitor! I always bring useful information or a new way to advertise or make money therefore you are trained to always be pleased to see me!) lol.
I said to my friend sue "I am a value added visitor! I always bring useful information or a new way to advertise or make money therefore you are trained to always be pleased to see me!) lol
How could anyone NOT be pleased to see you? It would be a joy!

Oh this is so true.
Flower said:
Oh this is so true.
Well one day this guest showed up at my door. With a box and said this is for you.I know I have found just the right person to enjoy this. I opened it up . AND low and behold was her set of Limoge from about 1930ish. I was just in shock!!! She said I found a home for my china. I am so happy that it will go to some who enjoys and loves china. I will not take any thing for it I am just happy it has a home. You were so kind to us while we stayed with you . You did so much for both of us. It is my way to say thank you. I tryed to pay her for it .But she sent the money back. With a lovely note.
Gave me chills!!!

" They may not remember what you said, but they will certainly remember how you made them feel.".
BBBBoB said:
" They may not remember what you said, but they will certainly remember how you made them feel."
Maya Angelou

K-I relate to all that they say about you cause you welcomed me and hubbie to the B & B business, you gave us much and still do...
Sometimes the smallest things mean so much to someone. :)

K-I relate to all that they say about you cause you welcomed me and hubbie to the B & B business, you gave us much and still do...
Sometimes the smallest things mean so much to someone. :).
Aw, shucks!
embaressed_smile.gif

Back