Small Town America

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
As soon as our guests left for their outing today (asked if they had their keys as they left) we took off for my aunt's wake (her daughter is my only cousin on Daddy's side - Uncle Bill was KIA WWII). It was about 120 miles from here and as I told her sons - it's family.
On the way back we decided to come backroads to see how much had changed since our "road trip" Sunday - not much. Leaves are still beautiful in a muted way.
However, as we approached each of the small unincorporated towns we encountered a fire truck from the VFD with lights flashing. There was one on each end of town. Tonight is Trick or Treat (Friday is FOOTBALL!!) and Moms AND Dads were taking the kids Trick or Treating. There are bo sidewalks so each town was protecting the kids while they had a traditional Halloween! I do love small town life!!

Yes, ours was tonight, 6-7. And yes, Friday is football.
Last year my boys were superheros... they each wore a towel safety-pinned around their neck. This year they were both Batman, courtesy of hand-me-down batman pajamas from my nephew. The patient one even had a mask and gloves.
I had the bowl on the porch and was in and out of the house getting ready for my night out (diet group and Wal-Mart). The kids who made it to my side of the street (the other side has more houses) would only take one candy. Then I'd go out and throw a handful in their bag.
=)
Kk.

gillumhouse said:
As soon as our guests left for their outing today (asked if they had their keys as they left) we took off for my aunt's wake (her daughter is my only cousin on Daddy's side - Uncle Bill was KIA WWII). It was about 120 miles from here and as I told her sons - it's family.
On the way back we decided to come backroads to see how much had changed since our "road trip" Sunday - not much. Leaves are still beautiful in a muted way.
However, as we approached each of the small unincorporated towns we encountered a fire truck from the VFD with lights flashing. There was one on each end of town. Tonight is Trick or Treat (Friday is FOOTBALL!!) and Moms AND Dads were taking the kids Trick or Treating. There are bo sidewalks so each town was protecting the kids while they had a traditional Halloween! I do love small town life!!
That's so sweet! I remember being a little girl and the excitment of going out trick or treating, we used to get our costume with that hard plastic mask in a box! I absolutely love to pass out the candy. We have a slight hill going up our cul de sac so we don't get a ton of kids, but we get our fair share. Do kids come trick or treating at the B&B's??

gillumhouse said:
That's so sweet! I remember being a little girl and the excitment of going out trick or treating, we used to get our costume with that hard plastic mask in a box! I absolutely love to pass out the candy. We have a slight hill going up our cul de sac so we don't get a ton of kids, but we get our fair share. Do kids come trick or treating at the B&B's??.
We always get some, but mostly because the shops downtown go all out for Halloween. The streets are closed to traffic and the shop owners stay open late, so people bring their kids from all over. Each shop owner goes through about $150 worth of candy. We are one block away from the heavy action but get some of the kids/parents who are brave enough to venture up the block.
Big kerfuffle this year because the next town over was trick-or-treating last night due to a big football game tonight. Not our town - trick-or-treating is always on Halloween - no exception this year for Friday night football.

gillumhouse said:
That's so sweet! I remember being a little girl and the excitment of going out trick or treating, we used to get our costume with that hard plastic mask in a box! I absolutely love to pass out the candy. We have a slight hill going up our cul de sac so we don't get a ton of kids, but we get our fair share. Do kids come trick or treating at the B&B's??.
Since I am downtown with few houses in the area, I usually only get a few kids who live in the neighborhood. Most go to the 2 wards that have a lot of houses close together.
This year our town may get hammered. We try to coordinate with the rest of the county but this year, after telling our town Halloween is on Halloween, most of the county went Thursday because of football. So I am going to go buy some more candy today just in case. People may bring their kids in from other towns.

They trick or treat in buses now for safety reasons. Imagine a bus pulling up and 50 kids running to your door. I think that is lame.
We don't get any here, we always put a sign up directing them to a fun fall festival a couple blocks over. But we won't be home to find out again, going to a concert in Lynchburg.

We had ours last night. Ghastly horrid children. No manners. 1/2 not dressed up. Some on cell phones. Have to remind them to say thank you. and Parents just waiting in the car to drive them to the next house (which is next door, 30 paces, not 1/2 mile away). Keep coming even though I have porch lights out and no more candy.
Last year I had one parent come up with her children, flop herself on my outside wicker sofa, feet up and say "Oh I am so tired". The sweet well-mannered kids are in the very very small minority.

We had ours last night. Ghastly horrid children. No manners. 1/2 not dressed up. Some on cell phones. Have to remind them to say thank you. and Parents just waiting in the car to drive them to the next house (which is next door, 30 paces, not 1/2 mile away). Keep coming even though I have porch lights out and no more candy.
Last year I had one parent come up with her children, flop herself on my outside wicker sofa, feet up and say "Oh I am so tired". The sweet well-mannered kids are in the very very small minority..
agoodman1963 said:
Last year I had one parent come up with her children, flop herself on my outside wicker sofa, feet up and say "Oh I am so tired". The sweet well-mannered kids are in the very very small minority.
Here there are two types of kids - 1) Daddy gonna give you a whoopin' if you aren't respectful, and 2) there ain't no daddy, not one we can identify anyway - so these are the so-called ADD ADHD out of control kids - no discipline whatsoever.
What I loved most about this town when I moved here was a child would be mouthing off or pitching a fit at the store and ANY ADULT nearby would turn and look down to this little brat and say "You better stop talkin' to your Momma that way!" the kid would stop and eyes would get wide.
YES I LIKE THAT! Just like the good old days.

talking about ADHD and my "other job" I like to mention so much, you cannot believe how many times parents of ADHD children want to bypass the wait lines for the rides ..... because their children "don't like standing in line" - now although some of you may have kids / grandkids that are ADHD - and I am sure it is not easy to deal with, it really irks me when this request comes in - does ANY child like standing in line?? and how does a "non ADHD child feel if all (the every growing number) of ADHD children just get to go in without waiting in line!! Hmm lets see, maybe those children will also start yettling and screaming ....

gillumhouse said:
Yes. Kids trick or treat at B&B's. And they read better than the guest do! First year here...hubs sat on porch with candy basket reading paper. Right behind his head is a sign, with an arrow, that says 'Please use side door.' Every last kid came up on the porch, looked at hubs, read the sign and came around the side of the house.
Sign on side door said 'Please ring bell and walk -in.' Bell rang, I came out, there are a dozen kids milling around asking each other, 'What kind of place is this?'
But they ALL read the signs and followed the directions!
Went to hubs and said, 'Don't let them get away next time!' And I locked the side door!

They trick or treat in buses now for safety reasons. Imagine a bus pulling up and 50 kids running to your door. I think that is lame.
We don't get any here, we always put a sign up directing them to a fun fall festival a couple blocks over. But we won't be home to find out again, going to a concert in Lynchburg..
We live away from town and no one trick or treats out here. They couldn't find our house in the dark and we don't turn on any lights any longer since we don't have guests...boy has our electric bill gone down:)
Actually our town has a "Haunted Greenway" and all the businesses get together there and hand out goodies, have a haunted trail, face painting..loads of fun for kids and families...so they really don't encourage any trick or treating in town. I think it is GREAT and more towns should do things like this. Keep kids safe and off the streets.

If there are any other Bruce fans out there, he has a special Halloween treat on his website - a blues song about the Jersey Devil with an opening scene homage to Apolcalypse Now. Not for children!

Halloween is tonight - we had well over 100 children last year, most with parents - a couple older kids out just for the candy. I probably would have tried that myself - I just didn't think of that when I was their age! This year, we're dressing up again... hope to get some great pictures. last year I was a black widow spider and caused a couple of kids to cry - let's see if I can create the same fear and mayhem tonight!!

gillumhouse said:
I will let you know since this is our first Halloween to be open as a B&B.
regular_smile.gif
For the first several years that we were open, we had NO kids at all because of the other B&B nearby. Last 2 years, I ran out of candy. Folks are bringing their kids here in cars. Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?? Back in the day, we had to walk to get treats & it was a heck of a lot colder where I grew up.
Our City has an event downtown that is growing in popularity and the business owners all participate. That was at the beginning of the week.
Kids should still be trick-or-treating tonight. I'm prepared with a big basket of candy & I hope it all goes away!!

gillumhouse said:
I will let you know since this is our first Halloween to be open as a B&B.
regular_smile.gif
For the first several years that we were open, we had NO kids at all because of the other B&B nearby. Last 2 years, I ran out of candy. Folks are bringing their kids here in cars. Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?? Back in the day, we had to walk to get treats & it was a heck of a lot colder where I grew up.
Our City has an event downtown that is growing in popularity and the business owners all participate. That was at the beginning of the week.
Kids should still be trick-or-treating tonight. I'm prepared with a big basket of candy & I hope it all goes away!!
I only buy good stuff for the just in case it does not go away.

The local Chamber of Commerce has a deal with the surrounding school districts. Bus loads of kids come in to trick or treat the main drag businesses. DW headed up to help out with the event at "our place" and to see how this all works. I'll stay home for our goblins.

We had a gal look at our house three times this week. She told our realtor we may see an offer in a couple of days.....keeping our fingers crossed that this one is for real and we will soon be innkeepers!

We are in a larger town. 250,000. There is Boo at the Zoo for about 10 days and it is a madhouse every night.
Tonight the grocery stores have 40 some stations. You pay $2 and kids hit all the stations. Can get a hot dog, chips and drink for $1.
Many schools work with the churches in their areas and the churches do trunk and treat for the school kids. The church people park in the church parking lots and open their trunks and the kids from the local school go trick or treating thru the parking lot.
My dh has been keeping 6 grandkids this week while they are on fall break. This morning they were talking about their costumes. They went to the dollar store and bought their costumes and masks.
dh is taking them to sams to shop and he will pick up candy for the bnb for trick and treat tonight at the bnb. Anything we don't give out the gk will eat eventually at our house.
dh is also taking them trick or treating to some houses. They have never been so they are wanting to do that this year.

Well, the churches held a communal effort last night on the sqaure. That did not stop the horrible children from coming here after that. And I bet you most of them did not brush before bed last night
devil_smile.gif

i dressed up ( Miss PIggy).. dh would not...he's a party pooper! we had 83 kids which was about what we had last year...give or take. i find that the really little kids (say,age 5 - 9) are the ones who try to grab handfuls of candy from the dish where as the older kids(say, 10 - 13) take what you give them.
i don't really have a point to my post, just telling what i have observed at our house the past couple of years.

Back