Small towns, narrow minds and big mouths.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will disclose a rumor when we moved into this B&B, it began the very day. I have never shared this on the forum I don't think.
Behind us is a little street and a cemetery, not a busy street. When we moved in that street became a main thrufare for this town. Only that week, mind you.
Well, I flew across with the family, did the walk through and signed the papers, etc and DH drove a moving truck with square front tires across (twice) 3000 miles - first time in blizzard conditions.
The moving truck was in the parking area as we unloaded. My Dad came out from San Diego on a fun road trip to the East and was helping DH unload the bulky furniture.
As the cars continually drove past, slowly, my Dad saw them and as my Dad being the character he is saw this and slapped DH on the butt.
We met a major influence in the town that week and they were shocked to meet myself and a family, as they said "We had heard two gay men had bought the B&B."
wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
I will disclose a rumor when we moved into this B&B, it began the very day. I have never shared this on the forum I don't think.
Behind us is a little street and a cemetery, not a busy street. When we moved in that street became a main thrufare for this town. Only that week, mind you.
Well, I flew across with the family, did the walk through and signed the papers, etc and DH drove a moving truck with square front tires across (twice) 3000 miles - first time in blizzard conditions.
The moving truck was in the parking area as we unloaded. My Dad came out from San Diego on a fun road trip to the East and was helping DH unload the bulky furniture.
As the cars continually drove past, slowly, my Dad saw them and as my Dad being the character he is saw this and slapped DH on the butt.
We met a major influence in the town that week and they were shocked to meet myself and a family, as they said "We had heard two gay men had bought the B&B."
wink_smile.gif
:ROFL:

Give them a break, a small town's main focus is on the people. An unmarried woman dining with a married man, seems obv enough to me to start the chain effect. I would expect nothing less.
Warning Folksy tale about to be told - true innkeeping tale:
We had guests year one, I always recall the story as one sister lived locally and was Principal at an elementary school here and the other out of state. This local sister was single and never married, out of state sister was recently married. The married couple stayed with us while visiting the sister.
Talk ensued around town after the Principal was seen with this man who was wearing a wedding ring. They were spotted holding hands and acting semi-romantic right there at the Dairy Queen!
Well the rest of the story is the DQ couple were my guests from out of state, even in their late 50's these sisters wore their hair the same way, wore glasses and had similar mannerisms. Yes, they were twins.
They had fun with this their entire lives, playing games on people and got a kick out of it..
Joey Bloggs said:
Give them a break, a small town's main focus is on the people. An unmarried woman dining with a married man, seems obv enough to me to start the chain effect. I would expect nothing less.
Well its not like we were holding hands in a romantic candlelit restaurant!
We were in a booth at the local greasy spoon. In fact if the busy bodies were listening closely, they would have heard us discussing the benefits of composting for the garden.
The Farmers Daughter said:
. . . In fact if the busy bodies were listening closely, they would have heard us discussing the benefits of composting for the garden.
So you admit you gave them some sh_t to talk about.
wink_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
What a priceless story about small town life!

We had guests year one, I always recall the story as one sister lived locally and was Principal at an elementary school here and the other out of state. This local sister was single and never married, out of state sister was recently married. The married couple stayed with us while visiting the sister.
Talk ensued around town after the Principal was seen with this man who was wearing a wedding ring. They were spotted holding hands and acting semi-romantic right there at the Dairy Queen!
Well the rest of the story is the DQ couple were my guests from out of state, even in their late 50's these sisters wore their hair the same way, wore glasses and had similar mannerisms. Yes, they were twins.
They had fun with this their entire lives, playing games on people and got a kick out of it..
Joey Bloggs said:
We were in a booth at the local greasy spoon. In fact if the busy bodies were listening closely, they would have heard us discussing the benefits of composting for the garden.
. . . In fact if the busy bodies were listening closely, they would have heard us discussing the benefits of composting for the garden.
wink_smile.gif

IronGate said:
wink_smile.gif
Well, that ....and the bigger issue may have been when I flashed em (Nawlins style) on my way out the door. Ya know, really give em something to look at since their eyeballs were poppin out of their heads anyway.
devil_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif

IronGate said:
wink_smile.gif
Well, that ....and the bigger issue may have been when I flashed em (Nawlins style) on my way out the door. Ya know, really give em something to look at since their eyeballs were poppin out of their heads anyway.
devil_smile.gif

IronGate said:
wink_smile.gif
devil_smile.gif

ROFL. This just keeps getting better! People who aren't even born yet will be telling this story when they are old and wizened.

FD, I think your reputation is lost after the N'Awlins flashing episode. ROFL....
teeth_smile.gif

Yep, small towns....people will talk.

FD, I think your reputation is lost after the N'Awlins flashing episode. ROFL....
teeth_smile.gif

Yep, small towns....people will talk..
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

I'm playing with you. Of course that didn't happen
angel_smile.gif
Write me off the forum and I'll give you my 900#. Only $3.99 a minute.
*kidding!*

teeth_smile.gif

Yep, small towns....people will talk..
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif

I'm playing with you. Of course that didn't happen
angel_smile.gif
Write me off the forum and I'll give you my 900#. Only $3.99 a minute.
*kidding!*
I know it didn't happen....
poke.gif

It's just too funny and typical of small towns. People here just love to gossip...it's a regular pasttime.

I was thinking of you FD as I sat in McDee's with a very handsome older gentleman today.
Here is the story:
Guests had early breakfast. Checked out. I raced out to the grocery store as I have add-on flowers and other items I needed to get, before it gets too warm today. What a lovely morning.
I ran into this older handsome gentleman at the store and he invited me to join him at McDee's for a biscuit or something for breakfast. I said sure and went, as usual, this being the highest grossing McDee's in 4 states it was packed, drive thru and inside.
We sit down and begin our conversation, all the retirees are staring. There are a few I recognize and have met previously. We sit in the only seat left, the center, and all eyes are on us. We are quite the morning entertainment.
Well one lady and her husband and sister walk past and approach us on their way out (insert heavy heavy southern belle accent here, botox, face lift, busy-body)
"Well Hello! How are you?"
She then says "Oh we just got in from Floriduhhh..." (they snowbird and own the largest property IN town here, and a big law firm here and at our lake) "I see you have a new friend?"
I introduce them by name.
(New Friend? Actually he has known me since I was a glimmer in his eye, it's my Dad!).
She laughs and says in southern drawl "Oh this is YOUR DAD, whyyyyy, he looks so young."
What can I say, Dad is good looking, looks a bit like Glen Ford, and has all his hair! (Unlike her husband). So Dad left there with his head held high, the old geezer! I mean, sweet old Dad! haha

I was thinking of you FD as I sat in McDee's with a very handsome older gentleman today.
Here is the story:
Guests had early breakfast. Checked out. I raced out to the grocery store as I have add-on flowers and other items I needed to get, before it gets too warm today. What a lovely morning.
I ran into this older handsome gentleman at the store and he invited me to join him at McDee's for a biscuit or something for breakfast. I said sure and went, as usual, this being the highest grossing McDee's in 4 states it was packed, drive thru and inside.
We sit down and begin our conversation, all the retirees are staring. There are a few I recognize and have met previously. We sit in the only seat left, the center, and all eyes are on us. We are quite the morning entertainment.
Well one lady and her husband and sister walk past and approach us on their way out (insert heavy heavy southern belle accent here, botox, face lift, busy-body)
She then says "Oh we just got in from Floriduhhh..." (they snowbird and own the largest property IN town here, and a big law firm here and at our lake) "I see you have a new friend?"
(New Friend? Actually he has known me since I was a glimmer in his eye, it's my Dad!).
She laughs and says in southern drawl "Oh this is YOUR DAD, whyyyyy, he looks so young."
What can I say, Dad is good looking, looks a bit like Glen Ford, and has all his hair! (Unlike her husband). So Dad left there with his head held high, the old geezer! I mean, sweet old Dad! haha.
Tooooo cute :)

Here is the story:
What can I say, Dad is good looking, looks a bit like Glen Ford, and has all his hair! (Unlike her husband). So Dad left there with his head held high, the old geezer! I mean, sweet old Dad! haha.
That's pretty funny....
teeth_smile.gif

Here is the story:
Now you'll start getting phone calls wanting his phone number
wink_smile.gif

lol, If you said Harrison Ford, I would be on your doorstep in a heart beat!.
lol, If you said Harrison Ford, I would be on your doorstep in a heart beat!
Not if I got there first! It's a long-running joke around here that I'd watch him change tires. (As possibly the most uninteresting thing to watch anyone doing!)

Not if I got there first! It's a long-running joke around here that I'd watch him change tires. (As possibly the most uninteresting thing to watch anyone doing!)
Morticia said:
LOL! I hear that
heart.gif

Morticia said:
LOL! I hear that
heart.gif

Altho, lately he's seeming a little too old. I don't know, maybe it's his wife. She's so thin and young, he's kind of not gonna look at me anyway. (Like there was EVER a chance!) It was probably the whip anyway. (ha, ha)

Back