Small towns, narrow minds and big mouths.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
A funny thing happened to me this morning on my way to the post office.
Due to a lack of parking spots at the post office, it was necessary for me to park on Main Street and walk the short block to the post office. On my way there, I pass the towns little luncheonette. A tap on the glass gets my attention and I turn to see the husband of another local innkeeper that I am good friends with. Lets call him John.
Both John and his wife who we shall call Jane, work regular jobs and do the Innkeeping stint on weekends. John just happened to be off today. He also just happens to look like a young and handsom Robert Redford.
He invites me to join him for breakfast and I do. We had a lovely chat over steaming cups of coffee and (Hurray! food I didn't have to cook).
In my small town of 1200 people. Everybody knows everyone and their business and all too eagar to stick their noses into it.
Everyone knows John has an Inn. Everyone knows I have an Inn. Everyone knows John is married. Everyone know I am not.
Before you know it, the pharmacist at a nearby table is whispering to a shop owner who then is whispering to laundromat owner who is the biggest gossip in town.
Having just returned from the local grocery and endured cold stares and colder shoulders...it would seem that I am a homewrecker!
Whatever shall I do to save my reputation?
*giggle*

WELCOME to my world..it's small town USA. Got to love small towns and all its pluses but this is the down side , rampant gossip. I never worried about my reputation, too busy and too old.Mary in Bridgewater.

Someone at the post office told me the other day that they heard we were retiring and moving to Prince Edward Island!?!

oooooh, i just love robert redford!
heart.gif
at any age

Someone at the post office told me the other day that they heard we were retiring and moving to Prince Edward Island!?!.
muirford said:
Someone at the post office told me the other day that they heard we were retiring and moving to Prince Edward Island!?!
Sweet! Send me some real estate info and I'll move in next door!
wink_smile.gif

Like you'd be that obvious when the both of you have all those rooms back home!

The first thing I told DH when we moved here was to NEVER EVER say anything about anyone. You never know who is related to who or how.
And there is always someone ready to tell you who cheated with whom - 30 years ago!
One election DH worked with a lady with a last name he recognized because the old guy went to the same church. (Old guy had been football hero who married the cheerleader - high point of their lives - and became the town drunk.) She admitted to being d-i-l, hanging her head until DH said how much he liked the old guy as they had had some good conversations, he had a few problems but who doesn't. She perked up and smiled and to this day likes us. I haven't been on City Council for 10 years but people still think I am and call me to find out what is happening - "because I knew you would know the answer".
Yep, small towns. Ya gotta love 'em!

You should find some hunky young stud for yourself and give the whole town something to talk about for real!

Towns don't even have to be that small. My dh and I were at a recent happy hour gathering and we weren't sitting together. Next thing you know it gets back to me that we are getting a divorce. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? We see each other all the time! Why would I sit next to him when I can talk to other folks who I haven't seen in awhile? Good grief.

The first thing I told DH when we moved here was to NEVER EVER say anything about anyone. You never know who is related to who or how.
And there is always someone ready to tell you who cheated with whom - 30 years ago!
One election DH worked with a lady with a last name he recognized because the old guy went to the same church. (Old guy had been football hero who married the cheerleader - high point of their lives - and became the town drunk.) She admitted to being d-i-l, hanging her head until DH said how much he liked the old guy as they had had some good conversations, he had a few problems but who doesn't. She perked up and smiled and to this day likes us. I haven't been on City Council for 10 years but people still think I am and call me to find out what is happening - "because I knew you would know the answer".
Yep, small towns. Ya gotta love 'em!.
gillumhouse said:
The whole of Ireland is like that - two degrees of separation, if that...

Don't worry about it for heaven sake. You are out in broad daylight in public...what do you have to hide. Small minds ...let them gossip!!!

Yep, small towns. Ya gotta love 'em!.
gillumhouse said:
Eleanor Brown said:
gillumhouse said:
I went there on my honeymoon. A lot of my family is still there. My cousin on my grandmother's side was going to drive us to meet cousins on my grandfather's side but she wanted to make sure she knew where they lived (they had never met). She called for directions and they asked how her son was doing after his surgery!
I got lost on the way to said cousin's house and stopped at a random B&B to ask for directions. I told her my cousin's name and she knew who I was and that I had come to visit.

Give them a break, a small town's main focus is on the people. An unmarried woman dining with a married man, seems obv enough to me to start the chain effect. I would expect nothing less.
Warning Folksy tale about to be told - true innkeeping tale:
We had guests year one, I always recall the story as one sister lived locally and was Principal at an elementary school here and the other out of state. This local sister was single and never married, out of state sister was recently married. The married couple stayed with us while visiting the sister.
Talk ensued around town after the Principal was seen with this man who was wearing a wedding ring. They were spotted holding hands and acting semi-romantic right there at the Dairy Queen!
Well the rest of the story is the DQ couple were my guests from out of state, even in their late 50's these sisters wore their hair the same way, wore glasses and had similar mannerisms. Yes, they were twins.
They had fun with this their entire lives, playing games on people and got a kick out of it.

Someone at the post office told me the other day that they heard we were retiring and moving to Prince Edward Island!?!.
muirford said:
yummmm. Prince Edward mussels in marinara sauce.
heart.gif
Lucky Dog!

Give them a break, a small town's main focus is on the people. An unmarried woman dining with a married man, seems obv enough to me to start the chain effect. I would expect nothing less.
Warning Folksy tale about to be told - true innkeeping tale:
We had guests year one, I always recall the story as one sister lived locally and was Principal at an elementary school here and the other out of state. This local sister was single and never married, out of state sister was recently married. The married couple stayed with us while visiting the sister.
Talk ensued around town after the Principal was seen with this man who was wearing a wedding ring. They were spotted holding hands and acting semi-romantic right there at the Dairy Queen!
Well the rest of the story is the DQ couple were my guests from out of state, even in their late 50's these sisters wore their hair the same way, wore glasses and had similar mannerisms. Yes, they were twins.
They had fun with this their entire lives, playing games on people and got a kick out of it..
Joey Bloggs said:
Well its not like we were holding hands in a romantic candlelit restaurant!
We were in a booth at the local greasy spoon. In fact if the busy bodies were listening closely, they would have heard us discussing the benefits of composting for the garden.

muirford said:
heart.gif
Lucky Dog!
The Farmers Daughter said:
heart.gif
Lucky Dog!
I've eaten the mussels but I've never been to the Island. After spending many years of my life in the snow belt I won't be moving north any time soon. That's what was funny about the rumor - it was so specific about a place I've never even mentioned or thought of!

I will disclose a rumor when we moved into this B&B, it began the very day. I have never shared this on the forum I don't think.
Behind us is a little street and a cemetery, not a busy street. When we moved in that street became a main thrufare for this town. Only that week, mind you.
Well, I flew across with the family, did the walk through and signed the papers, etc and DH drove a moving truck with square front tires across (twice) 3000 miles - first time in blizzard conditions.
The moving truck was in the parking area as we unloaded. My Dad came out from San Diego on a fun road trip to the East and was helping DH unload the bulky furniture.
As the cars continually drove past, slowly, my Dad saw them and as my Dad being the character he is saw this and slapped DH on the butt.
We met a major influence in the town that week and they were shocked to meet myself and a family, as they said "We had heard two gay men had bought the B&B."
wink_smile.gif

Back