Small vacuum recommendations?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new small vacuum that I can use for cleaning our cabins (meaning I have to carry it from cabin to cabin so it has to be compact and light). I'd like it to have a beater bar and a wand, but I don't think I want a canister because that would mean it takes two hands to carry it from cabin to cabin. Does anyone have a small upright type vac that they would recommend?

They were using a neat looking rechargable battery powered sweeper that looked a lot like the old Bissell at the diner last week. Jimmy said he got it a Lowe's for $30 (I think). I just have not had time to go get one. It was QUIET - just what I need to sweep up the bread crumbs under the table from a dinner.
http://www.wmpcs.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=273
This says it is $89 but discounted to $69. It looks like what they were using.

They were using a neat looking rechargable battery powered sweeper that looked a lot like the old Bissell at the diner last week. Jimmy said he got it a Lowe's for $30 (I think). I just have not had time to go get one. It was QUIET - just what I need to sweep up the bread crumbs under the table from a dinner.
This says it is $89 but discounted to $69. It looks like what they were using..
That looks kind of cool...and I can see it being helpful in other areas. But I need something with suction and a wand that can pull the stuff off the ceiling fan and other hard to reach places as well as pull the dirt out of the gaps in the plank floors.

That looks kind of cool...and I can see it being helpful in other areas. But I need something with suction and a wand that can pull the stuff off the ceiling fan and other hard to reach places as well as pull the dirt out of the gaps in the plank floors.
OK, now that I know more what you are looking for - DH is a wimp who cannot handle a heavy vac. I got him a Eureka Maxima at Sears last year and he loves it. He can go from vac the rug mode to using the sucking hose in about 2 seconds. It moves easily and is an upright. It even has a filter on it and a bag and lots of tools. It was less than $175 - I truly do not remember how much right now, but believe me, it was inexpensive (and frugal does not come close to how tight I am).

OK, now that I know more what you are looking for - DH is a wimp who cannot handle a heavy vac. I got him a Eureka Maxima at Sears last year and he loves it. He can go from vac the rug mode to using the sucking hose in about 2 seconds. It moves easily and is an upright. It even has a filter on it and a bag and lots of tools. It was less than $175 - I truly do not remember how much right now, but believe me, it was inexpensive (and frugal does not come close to how tight I am).
Sounds good, I'll check it out.

I like my Oreck..........It is very light, easy to transport, only problem it does not have a wand. With it I do not need a wand as much. I have a small Sears when I need to do that sort of clean up. My Oreck cleans like a Dynomo.
I was able to purchase mine from the company for about $224.

I got the Oreck from the company as well... no wand, but light, very, very light. It's a fabulous vacuum. We had one for something like 15 years and I missed it when it finally died. Dh was dubious when I bought this one, but now he admits he loves it. The deal from the company was great... delivered to us... and it's super lightweight. I use my old cheap one (the handle broke off but the engine and all still work) for when I need a suction tube, but the Oreck for every day.
=)
Kk.

Depends on what kind of floors you have. We have the Oreck XL that is 8 lbs, easy to carry and work with but not so hot on wood floors.

I like my Oreck..........It is very light, easy to transport, only problem it does not have a wand. With it I do not need a wand as much. I have a small Sears when I need to do that sort of clean up. My Oreck cleans like a Dynomo.
I was able to purchase mine from the company for about $224..
I was looking at the Oreck that is like a canister with a strap (so you sort of wear it,) but the comment was that it was designed for anything above the floor...which lead me to believe it was not really for floors.

Depends on what kind of floors you have. We have the Oreck XL that is 8 lbs, easy to carry and work with but not so hot on wood floors..
My Vac is an Oreck XL Commercial. It is great on hard wood floors and ceramic tile. Pushes a bit hard on carpet, but I have very little carpet. Works nicely on area rugs.

I have an Oreck XL Commercial. I really like it.
My niece gave me a canister that has a number of attachments. It has a long hose and a long cord, so it can be plugged into the living room outlet and you can go all over the 1200 sq ft apt. with it. The best thing is that my granddaughters love it. So if I offer to let them help me, they want to vacuum.

Back