Smart Phones/PDAs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
We have been due for new phones on our family plan for some time now. Our son wanted something that would allow him to send photos and do some other business applications since he will be heading into the professional world soon. We spent some time at the Sprint store upgrading our phone plan. He got the Blackberry Curve which suited his needs well. I just could not get that device to work comfortably for me. I looked at lots of different devices that had web browsing capability, email, etc. and ended up with the HTC Touch Pro. It was very intuitive for me and has a touch screen, touch keypad, plus a full slide out keyboard. Lots of apps that I haven't fully explored yet, too. I can access my availability system or my web site to check availability when guests call when I'm out. This isn't an ad....I'll keep you posted on how this device works out for me in a biz application. I've already learned a few things :) My dh still has his fairly plain phone with a camera, but we can all text message now. lol! My dh will get my separate Palm....which I never really used.

I also have a blackberry curve ( no touch screen :( ) and love it...as far as i am using it :)
They do get better and easier to use. Last year when i went to germany I had to lugg my laptop with me just to find many places did not have internet accsess any which way. This year i am taking my blackberry. What a convenience it will be......
Please keep us updated with yoyr progress, maybe I can learn something new form you :)
Maggie

Let me know how it works for you! At this point I'm ready to just get a pay as you go phone since we don't use them hardly at all - only when we're out touring and to forward the B&B phone when we go out to dinner,etc.
But down the road I'll probably have to get something that I can carry and check email at least, I'm guessing.
I'm curious as to the monthly cost - not what they quote you in the store, the actual fee once you have all the taxes in, you know, the actual bill...
Riki

Let me know how it works for you! At this point I'm ready to just get a pay as you go phone since we don't use them hardly at all - only when we're out touring and to forward the B&B phone when we go out to dinner,etc.
But down the road I'll probably have to get something that I can carry and check email at least, I'm guessing.
I'm curious as to the monthly cost - not what they quote you in the store, the actual fee once you have all the taxes in, you know, the actual bill...
Riki.
Riki-
If you go with a pay as you go phone plan, let me know what you get. That's what we want.

Riki.
Riki-
If you go with a pay as you go phone plan, let me know what you get. That's what we want.
I have not completely researched yet but do know that I can keep my number. I think a lot are changing to this and some of the major players have realized they better offer it.
I'll let you know.
RIki

Riki.
These plans with the data package and all that can be pricey. We're looking at $150/month for our family plan. With us splitting it 3 ways, it's a bit less painful. I use my cell phone a lot for the biz, personal, and volunteer work. I email a lot with everything that I do, too. I forward the landline to my cell when I'm in the other building or running errands. I've booked quite a few rooms by doing that. It's the people that just have to talk to a warm body vs booking online. :) I actually had someone call me the other day from their car using a laptop! (The new phone cards for laptops are letting folks do this. Lots of companies are getting those for their employees.) This new phone will allow me to double check availability right then and call them back while I'm out. This device also will connect to free WiFi which tends to be faster than it's own browser. The one I got is very comparable to the iPhone. These devices kept adding more & more. They are interesting business tools.
We are thinking about getting rid of our second land line which we use for the credit card machine and just using one landline for the biz number and the machine. Eventually, I see us getting rid of landlines totally and perhaps going to wireless credit card processing or processing through our rez system.

Riki.
These plans with the data package and all that can be pricey. We're looking at $150/month for our family plan. With us splitting it 3 ways, it's a bit less painful. I use my cell phone a lot for the biz, personal, and volunteer work. I email a lot with everything that I do, too. I forward the landline to my cell when I'm in the other building or running errands. I've booked quite a few rooms by doing that. It's the people that just have to talk to a warm body vs booking online. :) I actually had someone call me the other day from their car using a laptop! (The new phone cards for laptops are letting folks do this. Lots of companies are getting those for their employees.) This new phone will allow me to double check availability right then and call them back while I'm out. This device also will connect to free WiFi which tends to be faster than it's own browser. The one I got is very comparable to the iPhone. These devices kept adding more & more. They are interesting business tools.
We are thinking about getting rid of our second land line which we use for the credit card machine and just using one landline for the biz number and the machine. Eventually, I see us getting rid of landlines totally and perhaps going to wireless credit card processing or processing through our rez system.
Samster said:
These plans with the data package and all that can be pricey. We're looking at $150/month for our family plan. With us splitting it 3 ways, it's a bit less painful.
That is actually not bad for three phones. I think we are paying something like $80 for two regular cell phones. I may have to start looking into that - Chris would not use it and I could get him a pay as you go phone. But I bet I can't get one of those with email for $50. I bet the price is better if you have 2 or 3 phones.
I answer a lot of calls on my cell so will still be able to forward to a pay as you go phone. But since I only have two rooms it's easy for me to travel with a binder if someone wants to book. I've been lucky in telling them that they are "penciled in" but could they go online to book securely as I have questions there so I can know what they don't like to eat as far as breakfast foods and their wine preferences (we serve at check in with a cheese plate). I've been very lucky - in two years I only have had two people who don't use computers and were not able to book online.
I like to do this so that they have to check the box indicating that they understand my policies in case of a no show or last minute cancelation.
RIki

I got the Rant at the Sprint store because it was free. It has a larger screen than my previous and also has the ketboard that slides out. Lots of bells and whistles for me to learn. The car charger was cheaper than usual - it was only $20 this time.
I got my last phone because the chargers I had actiually fit it. No such luck this time.

Riki.
You'll have to tell me how you like it. I got the Instinct about six months ago, but I'm not thrilled with it and I'm sorry I didn't hold out to end my contract and get an Iphone. It's just not as good for web browsing, and I still can't manage Webervations on the Instinct.

Riki.
You'll have to tell me how you like it. I got the Instinct about six months ago, but I'm not thrilled with it and I'm sorry I didn't hold out to end my contract and get an Iphone. It's just not as good for web browsing, and I still can't manage Webervations on the Instinct.
Everyone that I know who has an iphone absolutely loves it and raves about how it changed their lives for the better.
Their enthusiasm makes me a bit envious. :( DW says I don't need one unless it is going to help change diapers. And she's right...I don't need one....but sometimes you just gotta have something cool LOL

Riki.
Everyone that I know who has an iphone absolutely loves it and raves about how it changed their lives for the better.
Their enthusiasm makes me a bit envious. :( DW says I don't need one unless it is going to help change diapers. And she's right...I don't need one....but sometimes you just gotta have something cool LOL
I read the reviews and this device rates up their with the iPhone. (Just came out last Fall and they have changed a few things on this version). Of course, there is a newer one coming out soon! Technology marches on....
This is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool :)

Riki.
I don't think that any of them work well to truly manage an online rez system. The iPhone has phone quality and network issues, I've heard from several people. But I'll let you know about this one...I think the full size Qwerty keyboard makes a difference. I tried the Instinct at the store and it wouldn't connect properly to my online system. This one has Opera. Of course, yours is quite a bit lower in price than this one...even with rebates and all that all stuff. HA!

Riki.
swirt said:
I'm sure they are but are they not something like $350-$400 just for the phone? And then you have the monthly fee on top of that...I don't see how people can afford them!!
Riki

I got the Rant at the Sprint store because it was free. It has a larger screen than my previous and also has the ketboard that slides out. Lots of bells and whistles for me to learn. The car charger was cheaper than usual - it was only $20 this time.
I got my last phone because the chargers I had actiually fit it. No such luck this time..
The rant didn't work for me for what I wanted. But the price was right!

I had a palm and loved it for the phone and organizer that could be updated on the computer and then sync. But now have a plain phone. It is a pain to text on. Next one will have a little keyboard like my daughter has. We all are on a family text plan for $20 a month and that is what most use more than the phone.
Husband has a plain phone, but wants one of those really plain phones with larger number buttons.

Riki.
swirt said:
I'm sure they are but are they not something like $350-$400 just for the phone? And then you have the monthly fee on top of that...I don't see how people can afford them!!
Riki
I believe the price of the iphones actually has come down....but I wouldn't pay whatever they are asking.
I don't need to text anyone,nor does anyone need to text me... I don't want to surf the web....I don't want to just chat away endlessly. For me it is just for a safety measure when I am in the car. My phone just has to be a basic phone..that is all I want
We still have to pay almost $90 a month for our 2 phones. I need to see if we can find something cheaper..but we have AT &T..so I doubt it. We have so many rollover minutes it isn't funny. We lose some every month. We just don't use them like everyone else. I don't know how people justify the cost they spend on these things.
Sorry..my pet peeve. I think cell phones are the worst thing ever invented. We just don't need to be in touch 24/7. It just irks the heck out of me to see these things glued to everyone's ears...especially when they are driving!!!!!

Riki.
swirt said:
Riki
I believe the price of the iphones actually has come down....but I wouldn't pay whatever they are asking.
I don't need to text anyone,nor does anyone need to text me... I don't want to surf the web....I don't want to just chat away endlessly. For me it is just for a safety measure when I am in the car. My phone just has to be a basic phone..that is all I want
We still have to pay almost $90 a month for our 2 phones. I need to see if we can find something cheaper..but we have AT &T..so I doubt it. We have so many rollover minutes it isn't funny. We lose some every month. We just don't use them like everyone else. I don't know how people justify the cost they spend on these things.
Sorry..my pet peeve. I think cell phones are the worst thing ever invented. We just don't need to be in touch 24/7. It just irks the heck out of me to see these things glued to everyone's ears...especially when they are driving!!!!!
catlady said:
We still have to pay almost $90 a month for our 2 phones.
We do too which is why I'm looking into the pay up front and use phones. I found I can keep my number, now I just have to find the time to go in and see if my current carrier does it. I know there are some out there that do.
Riki

Riki.
swirt said:
Riki
catlady said:
I went to a meeting yesterday. I was the second person to arrive. The first person picked his head up from his phone, mumbled a greeting and went back to the phone. He was reading his messages. I wandered off. I came back 10 minutes later with the guy who was leading the meeting and the first person was sitting in the back still reading his messages. There was a little banter back & forth and I asked him a couple of questions. He mumbled a few responses and the guy leading the meeting apologized for the other guy.
Sorry, if you're not saving the world, hang up the damn phone and talk to the people sitting in the room with you, people you might NEED to accomplish what you want to do in life.
My peeve, too.

Riki.
swirt said:
Riki
As someone who is involved in many things that take me away from the house, I must admit I am lost without the cell phone. However, I do not make & take calls when in meetings, over dinner, etc. I will check messages before I leave the table when out to dinner, but unless there is a possible reservation, will not talk to them there. I go out to the car to do the talking as I do not wish to disturb other diners who do not need to know my business. Thanks to the cell phone I have taken reservations while in Illinois, Iowa, on the road, while shopping (as I said I go outside), etc.
It is not the cell phone that I hate - it is the inconsiderate slobs using it. I have no idea how much it costs as it is an on-going gift from my youngest son - since 2002!

Back