smelling like breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
My partner complains that after breakfast I smell like cooking and I worry that I smell like that to the guests to. I always wash my face and hands and wear an apron.Does anyone have any tips? We fry a lot!

Seriously?
Besides not frying everything? LOL
Change clothes after breakfast, wear a Polo shirt or something and change. I always smell like breakfast after breakfast - just to myself, and I have to get out of that gear, make sure you have a decent ventilation system in your kitchen or don't fry as much. Do you have an exhaust hood? I ask as I watched a prgrm on BBC America and they had no exhaust hood over their range/cooker.

I change my clothes before check-in time.
If your clothes are smelling strong of breakfast, is it also lingering in the house? If so, you might want to do something about that also. I was taught years ago to go outside and get some fresh air, then walk in to your front entrance door to see how it smells. I've made this a habit now.

what's wrong with smelling like breakfast cooking? seriously ... i always seemed to smell faintly of bacon and maple syrup and blueberries. i think it gets into your pores.
after cooking breakfast and serving breakfast and cleaning up after breakfast, throwing off the breakfast apron and putting on the cleaning apron, after pulling off the cleaning duds and taking a quick shower (and i do mean quick) and dressing in greeting duds (even if outfit one and two are practically identical) you should be just fine.
also - since i started baking cookies or pie or banana bread for the evening treat during check-in time, i still was scented with baking .... to me, it's a good smell unless it's onions

what's wrong with smelling like breakfast cooking? seriously ... i always seemed to smell faintly of bacon and maple syrup and blueberries. i think it gets into your pores.
after cooking breakfast and serving breakfast and cleaning up after breakfast, throwing off the breakfast apron and putting on the cleaning apron, after pulling off the cleaning duds and taking a quick shower (and i do mean quick) and dressing in greeting duds (even if outfit one and two are practically identical) you should be just fine.
also - since i started baking cookies or pie or banana bread for the evening treat during check-in time, i still was scented with baking .... to me, it's a good smell unless it's onions.
Don't think they are talking muffins, she said they FRY. G R E A S E no one should smell of grease when working in a B&B or checking in guests, in the kitchen is one thing, not in the guest areas.

It's better than smeling like the bathrooms... or laundry, for that matter...
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
mmmm I love the smell of freshly laundered stuff ... including those freshly laundered. bleached towels.
Reminds of the time I had a super-nice couple stay with me who had come from a horrible experience the night before. She admitted to being a genuine clean freak but said that the housekeeping (or lack of it) in the last place would have to be seen to be believed.
I immediately started to second guess my standards but I was pretty sure they were going to be easy, trouble-free guests. 20 mins after check-in there is a furious pounding on the OQ door. I open it to find her standing there in one of our robes looking all teary-eyed and my heart SANK until she hugged me and said something along the lines of ...
"I'm sorry, I just had to tell you - RIGHT NOW - I looked in all the corners and under the bed and really started to relax, but then I went to take a shower and smelled the bleach on the towels and - Oh Sarah - I'm so happy - Thank You". I just started to laugh and she started to laugh and she's stayed in touch ever since.

=)
Kk..
mmmm I love the smell of freshly laundered stuff ... including those freshly laundered. bleached towels.
Reminds of the time I had a super-nice couple stay with me who had come from a horrible experience the night before. She admitted to being a genuine clean freak but said that the housekeeping (or lack of it) in the last place would have to be seen to be believed.
I immediately started to second guess my standards but I was pretty sure they were going to be easy, trouble-free guests. 20 mins after check-in there is a furious pounding on the OQ door. I open it to find her standing there in one of our robes looking all teary-eyed and my heart SANK until she hugged me and said something along the lines of ...
"I'm sorry, I just had to tell you - RIGHT NOW - I looked in all the corners and under the bed and really started to relax, but then I went to take a shower and smelled the bleach on the towels and - Oh Sarah - I'm so happy - Thank You". I just started to laugh and she started to laugh and she's stayed in touch ever since.
You know what I love? It makes all the difference in the world. Freshly laundered people. The reason breakfast IS the best meal of the day. People are freshly showered and smell nice and water really is a miracle med for many people. Think of the time you went camping - came home and that nice long shower - ahhhhhhhh! Or the time you were stuck in an airport for hours or days - that nice long shower - ahhhhhhhh!
Smelling of the day that has gone by is not what I long for. This is why breakfast is our thing as innkeepers, check in people are sweatie, irritable, breakfast ahhhhhhhh!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk..
You know what I love? It makes all the difference in the world. Freshly laundered people. The reason breakfast IS the best meal of the day. People are freshly showered and smell nice and water really is a miracle med for many people. Think of the time you went camping - came home and that nice long shower - ahhhhhhhh! Or the time you were stuck in an airport for hours or days - that nice long shower - ahhhhhhhh!
Smelling of the day that has gone by is not what I long for. This is why breakfast is our thing as innkeepers, check in people are sweatie, irritable, breakfast ahhhhhhhh!
cheers.gif

hahaha.... Oh, so true!
regular_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
cheers.gif

An innkeeper friend called me a couple days ago to say that she had just had some walk-ups...they wanted to see her rooms, didn't rent (too expensive $110) and after they left she had to use Febreeze EVERYWHERE because they stunk so much! EWWWWWW. Just imagine if they had stayed! She would have had to burn everything!

=)
Kk..
cheers.gif

An innkeeper friend called me a couple days ago to say that she had just had some walk-ups...they wanted to see her rooms, didn't rent (too expensive $110) and after they left she had to use Febreeze EVERYWHERE because they stunk so much! EWWWWWW. Just imagine if they had stayed! She would have had to burn everything!
Breakfast Diva said:
"The Walla Walla guests"
Had to throw away a set of sheets from this couple who were barely here - got in late. (Walla Walla are sweet onions, fyi similar to the Texas vidalia variety, i know you know that BD as you are NW).
This was taking "earthy" to a new low. There is nothing wrong with bathing, if you choose to be au natural with tarantula armpits and legs at least bathe! Eww I can still recall the odour...

=)
Kk..
cheers.gif

I hate it when I can smell the guests walking in. Good smell (ie- perfume); bad smell (ie- cigs or body odor). Give me good old neutral-smelling guests!
One guest kindly parked his cigar on my steps outside the door while he came in to ask how much for an open-ended stay. Oy. The thought of smelling that cigar everyday for who knows how long...

Back