Smithton Inn, Ephrata, PA - Anyone know about this one?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecondAct

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this inn? Have any aspirings on here gone to look at it? Anyone know someone who has stayed there? The business has dropped off over the past few years and there is definitely work to be done here. We looked at this one to purchase and just curious if anyone has any inside scoop on it. Thanks, as always, for your input!

It looks like a lovely place, have you been there in person yet to scope it out? Or is that why you are asking before making the trip.
The website is an obv hinderance. No online reservations which may have left her in the dust. It is also a highly competitive area with so many B&B's.
Then of course there is this
(For all those who ignore Trip Advisor there are plenty of travelers who rely on it - and in this case it would probably be wise!)

Owner's quarters?
There is a lot of improvements to be made for that price. No doubt about it. Somebody better be handy with a saw. :)

It looks like a lovely place, have you been there in person yet to scope it out? Or is that why you are asking before making the trip.
The website is an obv hinderance. No online reservations which may have left her in the dust. It is also a highly competitive area with so many B&B's.
Then of course there is this
(For all those who ignore Trip Advisor there are plenty of travelers who rely on it - and in this case it would probably be wise!).
Holy cow! People are complaining about lack of amenities at $95/night???? Do they think these 'freebies' are donated???

Okay, got stuck on a phone call ... so, to answer some questions ...
Yes, have gone to see it. Needs work on the physical property. Needs complete website creation. Is in highly competitive area but also in a tourist destination, within walking distance of the Cloister. Owners quarters are unfinished (roughed in) on the third floor. Kitchen needs complete replacement - no idea how the current owner passed any health inspections with the facilities as they are. Fireplaces in all rooms are a nice feature; however, do not have hearths nor any screens or glass enclosures. Major fire hazard. I heard that when an inn changes ownership, the TA reviews are deleted. Is that true?

Yes, have gone to see it. Needs work on the physical property. Needs complete website creation. Is in highly competitive area but also in a tourist destination, within walking distance of the Cloister. Owners quarters are unfinished (roughed in) on the third floor. Kitchen needs complete replacement - no idea how the current owner passed any health inspections with the facilities as they are. Fireplaces in all rooms are a nice feature; however, do not have hearths nor any screens or glass enclosures. Major fire hazard. I heard that when an inn changes ownership, the TA reviews are deleted. Is that true?.
SecondAct said:
I heard that when an inn changes ownership, the TA reviews are deleted. Is that true?
No, not to my knowledge. They stick. I know a couple on this forum who can attest to receiving the good with the bad in that on TA.

Yes, have gone to see it. Needs work on the physical property. Needs complete website creation. Is in highly competitive area but also in a tourist destination, within walking distance of the Cloister. Owners quarters are unfinished (roughed in) on the third floor. Kitchen needs complete replacement - no idea how the current owner passed any health inspections with the facilities as they are. Fireplaces in all rooms are a nice feature; however, do not have hearths nor any screens or glass enclosures. Major fire hazard. I heard that when an inn changes ownership, the TA reviews are deleted. Is that true?.
SecondAct said:
I heard that when an inn changes ownership, the TA reviews are deleted. Is that true?
Yes you can start with a clean slate, you will need to show proof of transfer of ownership - see: www.tripadvisor.com/help/i_just_bought_a_bb_and_the_previous_owners_did_a_lousy_job_running_it_im_going_to_change_things_can_i_start_with_a_clean_slate

SecondAct said:
Yes you can start with a clean slate, you will need to show proof of transfer of ownership - see: www.tripadvisor.com/help/i_just_bought_a_bb_and_the_previous_owners_did_a_lousy_job_running_it_im_going_to_change_things_can_i_start_with_a_clean_slate
Awesome ... thank you for that info!

If you are looking at major renos, make sure that all of that won't trigger the town to say you need to do all of this OTHER stuff that the PO's didn't have to.

Yes, that actually is a major concern. It's an historic property but not an historic property in that it's not on the register and I don't believe is part of the historic district. But, you never know what the locals could require in order to beef up their coffers.

Back