Smoked salmon?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I just opened a pound of smoked salmon and see that it has to be used within 4 days of opening so how would you use this for breakfast in case I can't freeze it? We're talking one breakfast here, too, not a lot of them so it will have to be frozen.

How about a smoked salmon quiche. You could also add some asparagus in that.

how about eggs benedict using smoked salmon instead of ham or bacon

I have heard of salmon & eggs benidict. But - sorry to say my stomach turns at the thought of any seafood in the morning. Now if it were brunch, I would say bring it on...

I have some smoked salmon I want to use, so I'm doing the variation on the eggs B theme - english muffin, smoked salmon, slice of beefsteak tomato, poached egg and finished with a creamed spinach kind-of-a-thing.

I would only served smoked salmon if my B&B were in the NW or AK. I would serve it if it were LOX in the NE (only).
Otherwise THE INNKEEPERS should eat it. Make it into a chowduh, nothing better than a smoked salmon chowduh! You can even freeze it for later.

I have some smoked salmon I want to use, so I'm doing the variation on the eggs B theme - english muffin, smoked salmon, slice of beefsteak tomato, poached egg and finished with a creamed spinach kind-of-a-thing..
Because this is a local company, I would go with the 'local produce' claim if I served it. (Duck Trap, which I'm sure you know about.)
I'm thinking of doing the baked herbed eggs and using the salmon in place of the Canadian bacon. If guests are turned off completely, it's not 'mixed in' and can be left and not eaten.

I have some smoked salmon I want to use, so I'm doing the variation on the eggs B theme - english muffin, smoked salmon, slice of beefsteak tomato, poached egg and finished with a creamed spinach kind-of-a-thing..
Because this is a local company, I would go with the 'local produce' claim if I served it. (Duck Trap, which I'm sure you know about.)
I'm thinking of doing the baked herbed eggs and using the salmon in place of the Canadian bacon. If guests are turned off completely, it's not 'mixed in' and can be left and not eaten.
Bree said:
It is not a regional thing there like Lobster for you tho. Not like the NW or Alaska. I know it is grown there, but it is not what I would call regional. I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't waste it on guests who won't touch it.
Ask the innkeepers if they would want it for their own breakfast = my vote is no thanks I would never cook it for my own breakfast. Again, not a breakfast food. If you posted 4 course gourmet meals and the room rates were $500 a night, then go for it. For those prices toss in a little escargot as well, and caviar.

Bree said:
It is not a regional thing there like Lobster for you tho. Not like the NW or Alaska. I know it is grown there, but it is not what I would call regional. I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't waste it on guests who won't touch it.
Ask the innkeepers if they would want it for their own breakfast = my vote is no thanks I would never cook it for my own breakfast. Again, not a breakfast food. If you posted 4 course gourmet meals and the room rates were $500 a night, then go for it. For those prices toss in a little escargot as well, and caviar.
I'm only doing it to not let it go to waste. If I had known before I opened the pkg that it had a 4 day shelf life, I would have tossed it into the freezer and saved it for hors d'oeuvres. (Actually, the reason I bought it WAS for hors d'oeuvres but Tipsy had enough food for an army so we brought it home!)

I would only served smoked salmon if my B&B were in the NW or AK. I would serve it if it were LOX in the NE (only).
Otherwise THE INNKEEPERS should eat it. Make it into a chowduh, nothing better than a smoked salmon chowduh! You can even freeze it for later..
I'm in the northwest and in prime salmon country, and over and over guests say "no seafood". I never use seafood for breakfast. I once stayed at a b&b and for breakfast there was a big hunk of steamed salmon on my breakfast plate. Yuck....not for breakfast, thanks! Another time a different b&b served a salmon hash....again, too fishy for breakfast. A little of it goes a long way. I would check with the guest to see if they like it.

Bree said:
I'm only doing it to not let it go to waste. If I had known before I opened the pkg that it had a 4 day shelf life, I would have tossed it into the freezer and saved it for hors d'oeuvres. (Actually, the reason I bought it WAS for hors d'oeuvres but Tipsy had enough food for an army so we brought it home!)
I am obviously the outlier here - I love smoked salmon and I would appreciate having it for breakfast. My only caveat would be that I almost never put meat in the main course because of veggies, so I would want to serve it on the side somehow. When we do a continental for a group - like New Year's Day or for the bike groups - I put smoked salmon out as a protein that's just a little more upscale than a hard-boiled egg.

Bree said:
It would not get eaten here. People are expecting the regional thing to a degree. But maybe it fits in there? Smoked salmon isn't something that everyone likes so I'd be tempted to try to figure out how to put it on the side somehow. Bagels, smoked salmon, capers, red onions...that kind of thing.
I used to go to a place where we used to live that had the most fabulous bagel breakfast sandwich - scrambled eggs, salmon cream cheese, smoked salmon, tomato, capers, Bermuda onion. Yum, yum, yum..... I have to drive to the "big city" to get it now. Sigh....

Bree said:
hmmmm - that's funny ..... we too had a large pack of Duck Trap salmon left from last weekend that we didn't use :) We had a number of "just in case items" that came back with us.
Just finished breakfast and DIDN'T use the salmon, but had a beautiful lobster tail left that I used to make breakfast. Same idea - English muffin, lobster meat, beefsteak tomato, poached egg and creamed spinach dragged around the plate as garnish. Gave the guests the option of changing any of the above (ie no lobster, scrambled eggs, no spinach etc) but they all had it DAW and all plates scraped clean.
p.s. - thanks for the "out" for making breakfast on the last morning. Still not comfortable with the new kitchen - luckily that's DH's problem long term.

Bree said:
I am obviously the outlier here - I love smoked salmon and I would appreciate having it for breakfast. My only caveat would be that I almost never put meat in the main course because of veggies, so I would want to serve it on the side somehow. When we do a continental for a group - like New Year's Day or for the bike groups - I put smoked salmon out as a protein that's just a little more upscale than a hard-boiled egg.
muirford said:
I am obviously the outlier here - I love smoked salmon and I would appreciate having it for breakfast.
You're not alone... me, too!!! Tipsy's version sounds fab. I'll take any seafood, any time!!!
=)
Kk.

BTW- we asked and they don't want the salmon. So, in the freezer it goes until I have a party! My Jewish friend said to wait until I have a bunch of Jews in the house...they'll love me.
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
muirford said:
I am obviously the outlier here - I love smoked salmon and I would appreciate having it for breakfast.
You're not alone... me, too!!! Tipsy's version sounds fab. I'll take any seafood, any time!!!
=)
Kk.
Me too!!

Back