Smokers......yecch!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
We have non-smoking rooms. People smell bad enough without adding that to the mix. We do, however, allow smoking on the porches of our cottages. Wouldn't you know it, now that the weather is finally cooling down here in Texas, the guests in one room decide to sleep with the AC turned off and the windows open. Not a problem. It's actually very pleasant to do that. The problem arises when you get a chain smoker on the front porch of the cottage who has left the windows open while they smoke.
We walked into fluff the room and it was like walking into an ashtray. I Fabreezed the room and by the time they left, the room smelled like a hotel room that had formerly been a smoking room converted to a non-smoking room.
That stench sticks to their bodies and we had to remove and wash ALL the bedding including mattress pads and pillow covers and will probably have to dry-clean the drapes. Thank God for Fabreeze! We have a couple of days before that room is occupied, so I have the windows open airing it out. It's gradually getting better.
Nice people, nasty habit.

add to that what I have right now, people who work the night shift. Their first B&B, but they stay up til 4 or 5am, to keep their body clocks on the same schedule. yes, at a B&B, yes in a room over our heads. They were as quiet as can be, and I appreciate that, but you know what, someone in a room over your head in a 115 year old house at 2, 3, 4, 5am....

add to that what I have right now, people who work the night shift. Their first B&B, but they stay up til 4 or 5am, to keep their body clocks on the same schedule. yes, at a B&B, yes in a room over our heads. They were as quiet as can be, and I appreciate that, but you know what, someone in a room over your head in a 115 year old house at 2, 3, 4, 5am.....
Joey Bloggs said:
add to that what I have right now, people who work the night shift. Their first B&B, but they stay up til 4 or 5am, to keep their body clocks on the same schedule. yes, at a B&B, yes in a room over our heads. They were as quiet as can be, and I appreciate that, but you know what, someone in a room over your head in a 115 year old house at 2, 3, 4, 5am....
Lovely!!!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Had a workman in a few weeks ago, a rare occurence.
At one point in the evening I went upstairs, banged on his door and said "There is no smoking in the house". He looked very surprised that I knew. I then I said "And there's no smoking out the bedroom window and throwing your cigarette ends onto our lawn"!!!!
My partner had been watching TV and saw the dog-end fly past the window.
Luckily it wasn't too bad when we cleaned the room and a little Fabreeze did the trick.

add to that what I have right now, people who work the night shift. Their first B&B, but they stay up til 4 or 5am, to keep their body clocks on the same schedule. yes, at a B&B, yes in a room over our heads. They were as quiet as can be, and I appreciate that, but you know what, someone in a room over your head in a 115 year old house at 2, 3, 4, 5am.....
Joey Bloggs said:
This is a 10 year old house, but we have the same problem, a guest room above ours. Most of the time it's ok, but we do hear people get up to go to the loo in the night. ANd we can hear them walking about, the TV, hear them talking, hear draws opening/closing. SOmetimes it drives us to distraction. We're seriously considering putting some sort of sound-proofing in the floor/ceiling.

Joey Bloggs said:
This is a 10 year old house, but we have the same problem, a guest room above ours. Most of the time it's ok, but we do hear people get up to go to the loo in the night. ANd we can hear them walking about, the TV, hear them talking, hear draws opening/closing. SOmetimes it drives us to distraction. We're seriously considering putting some sort of sound-proofing in the floor/ceiling.
we put in extra sound proofing when we did the basement but it isnt perfect we can hear some things but it is a lot better.

Joey Bloggs said:
When you figure out that soundproofing, let me know.

I had a guest that was here Labor Day Weekend, he checked out but his fragrance never did! LOL
barf.gif
Has been aring out the room since.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
When I figure out why some people get up at 6.30 and bang and crash around the room, and then don't come down to breakfast until 9.15, I'll let you know about that too!
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

I had a guest that was here Labor Day Weekend, he checked out but his fragrance never did! LOL
barf.gif
Has been aring out the room since..
Ice said:
barf.gif
Has been aring out the room since.
Had that one last summer with a couple, unfortunately they were in for 7 nights. I dreaded going in to clean the room. At least it saved on cleaning and washing the towels, as they hardly ever showered.
barf.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
When I figure out why some people get up at 6.30 and bang and crash around the room, and then don't come down to breakfast until 9.15, I'll let you know about that too!
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
My 'alarm clock' is when I hear the vent fan go on in the guest bathroom. 'Ah, someone is showering, time for me to get up.' I hate when they decide to leave at 6 AM and they are showering at 5! I've got another couple of hours to sleep at that point!
We have guests coming who smoke right outside my bedroom window. This means I have to sleep with the windows closed when I really, really need the windows open and the fan running. Rude as it may be to say, sound travels, so I happen to know exactly what they are doing before they go outside for the cigs.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
My 'alarm clock' is when I hear the vent fan go on in the guest bathroom. 'Ah, someone is showering, time for me to get up.' I hate when they decide to leave at 6 AM and they are showering at 5! I've got another couple of hours to sleep at that point!
We have guests coming who smoke right outside my bedroom window. This means I have to sleep with the windows closed when I really, really need the windows open and the fan running. Rude as it may be to say, sound travels, so I happen to know exactly what they are doing before they go outside for the cigs.
I think that is what finally did me in...I could not get a good night's sleep for the flushing of toilets over my head :-( We insulated the plumbing..but I could still hear it. After six years, I really just wanted my house back for us.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
I think that is what finally did me in...I could not get a good night's sleep for the flushing of toilets over my head :-( We insulated the plumbing..but I could still hear it. After six years, I really just wanted my house back for us.
catlady said:
That's why I'm glad I insisted our apartment be above the common rooms. Nobody can make any noise that I'll hear.
RIki

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
catlady said:
Night two coming right up...I am going to go postal if I do not get sleep, someone knock me out! Why oh why do night shift people go to a B&B? I cannot work it out. They check out tomorrow.
Oh and she said at breakfast "It is TOO quiet here" really? I couldn't tell with you walking around up there all night. They also thought it got too warm. Okay you know the rest of this type story, if you are up all night the temps ARE different to the "turn down" temps we set the thermo to. Sheesh people! Open a window awready!

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
catlady said:
Night two coming right up...I am going to go postal if I do not get sleep, someone knock me out! Why oh why do night shift people go to a B&B? I cannot work it out. They check out tomorrow.
Oh and she said at breakfast "It is TOO quiet here" really? I couldn't tell with you walking around up there all night. They also thought it got too warm. Okay you know the rest of this type story, if you are up all night the temps ARE different to the "turn down" temps we set the thermo to. Sheesh people! Open a window awready!
In spite of it being the most expensive room, I am kinda happy when the room I can 'hear' is empty so I can really sleep. And not just that I don't hear them, but also that I'm not worried they can hear the dog walking around or snoring or falling down (which is how she lays down now, she just collapses...thud).

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
catlady said:
BTW, I have found that Advil knocks me right out. I know it doesn't do that for everyone, but I can generally get 5 solid hours in with 2 regular Advils.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
catlady said:
I worked graveyard shift full-time for 10 years and on my days off part-time. Plus when I finally was able to work dayshift (kids old enough to be on their own days (meaning not home anyway) in Summer) still worked nightshift on days off. Whatever schedule I was on, I operated on everyone else's schedule and grabbed a couple hours of sleep whenever. That staying up all night is ridiculous - nothing is open at those hours for a vacation unless you go to Vegas, Beale Street in Memphis, or New Orleans. Why go somewhere if you are going to sleep all day? 2 days got my "clocks" back in sync. (We always started vacations when I got home from work and I slept the first few hours of the trip.)

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Alibi Ike said:
regular_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
catlady said:
BTW, I have found that Advil knocks me right out. I know it doesn't do that for everyone, but I can generally get 5 solid hours in with 2 regular Advils.
I'm really heartened that others suffer from "guests above" problems at night too. It's the only problem we have with the layout of this house. Thought it was just us as none of our friends with B&Bs seem to suffer as we do.
Sorry Texan, gone off your thread a bit.

Well what a change a day makes!
I have two new rooms (one night only) who are what I really enjoy, quirky eccentric guests. I like the shock and awe, never knowing what they will say next and not knowing how they perceive things. These are the guests who always seem to be totally delighted with every little thing. MY KIND OF PEOPLE!
And guess what, two are smokers, go figure. But...they are so happy to be here, on a road trip and loving every minute of it. This is a good thing!
Just as our attitude can reflect back onto the guests, so does their attitude reflect back on us! Happy guests make happy innkeepers.
wink_smile.gif

Back