Sneaking in KIDS

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB, I am sorry you had to go through this, disrespectful people! But glad it turned out to be OK.
I had this happen about a year ago but they were late arrivals so did not know this until the next morning when the children - 2 of them, were creating havoc in the room. A room for 2. I do take children but not in that group of rooms. And the topping on the cake - they were innkeepers!
JB, there are no laws here stating we must accept children. There is code on max to a room and the number of beds in the room match that. I have turned away guests that fail to abide by max # in a room - adult, children makes no difference.

I would have shooed them off the porch and kept their money. It's clearly stated in our policies and they have to agree to the policies before the reservation is accepted.
It's not pleasant to do this, but this is a business not a shelter for stupid people.

I am glad all went well for you.
We have had it happen a few times that someone brought more people than we are allowed to accommodate by code. They actually "smuggled" them in thinking that I am a complete idiot. Well, I had news for them. They forfeit their money - all of it- and I put them out on the street. I am sorry, I won't put my business and good name on the line for people that obviously don't respect the rules.

I pictured the scene with the parents at the door and this kid standing behind looking off with his hands in his pockets, "Who me?"
Well, you did what I would do, let them in. Not be happy about it and be worried all night about the KID VOICE carrying through the walls, and stomping around sounds.
As for code, in reality what I would think is that you cannot say no to children. Not sure where you are, but unless there is some sort of 21 and older rule for some reason, you really can't discriminate about a toddler sleeping in the bed with Mom and Dad anyway. You can set me straight on it, I know most of us say adults only, but we would be obliged to accept a child if they pushed it. It is more of a rule of the owners, not the law..
Joey Bloggs said:
. You can set me straight on it, I know most of us say adults only, but we would be obliged to accept a child if they pushed it. It is more of a rule of the owners, not the law.
You can refuse to provide service to anyone you chose. It's private property and when you read the small print on just about any hotel, motel, Inn, they all state somewhere exactly that.

Mine were not a "sneak-in". The Lord's Pantry called to see if I had rooms available for a family of performers - as in NOW as no one had expected them to stay over for the next day's performance at the Gospel Sing fundraiser (including the family). They were such a hit people wanted them again. I have 2 rooms open. I am told they have a few kids. That triggers a question for me - ahhh how many kids. Um, nine. I figured the occupancy police were not going to be out that Saturday night and they were NOT being charged. It was a very rewarding experience on a personal basis (and with the community - the 3 year old was great PR) and one I plan to never repeat. They sang for us before they left!

I would have shooed them off the porch and kept their money. It's clearly stated in our policies and they have to agree to the policies before the reservation is accepted.
It's not pleasant to do this, but this is a business not a shelter for stupid people..
Proud Texan said:
It's not pleasant to do this, but this is a business not a shelter for stupid people.
tounge_smile.gif
This is priceless!!

It's not pleasant to do this, but this is a business not a shelter for stupid people..
Proud Texan said:
tounge_smile.gif
This is priceless!!
Love that expression! but its why my insurance covers me for up to 30 even though technically we only take 24 - I like to be covered just in case.

thumbs_up.gif

this is a business not a shelter for stupid people...
I may have to use this as my new slogan...Love it!

Back