Sneering at other guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We've only had this happen twice that I am aware of...
One was a couple who were Francophobes and started making derogatory comments when they heard other guests speaking French. They shut up tout de suite when the 5 yo kid started speaking THREE different languages depending on which parent (or me) he was speaking to.
Today it was an older couple who were making rude comments about a young couple. The older couple were sitting in the corner so I didn't hear them until I was cleaning the table next to them. They were saying, 'Oh, yes, dear you were right, NO rings. For shame. Some people,' and that sort of thing. For Pete's sake, they don't know if the couple is married or not, brother & sister or what. And the young couple is very sweet. What they failed to realize was the 2 girls sitting right next to them, overhearing the whole thing ARE a couple.

Ha ha...they would love our place. I get TONS of young unmarrieds!

Wow! That's never happened that I've heard, but I'm sure they talk amongst themselves about other guests all the time. Do you think they were purposely trying to be overheard, or just not realizing who was in earshot?

That hasn't happened here....yet. Everyone sits at a common table and so are mostly civil.

I get married with rings, married w/o rings (some jobs require NO rings, some people are allergic to metals, etc), same genders - one thing they all have in common - MONEY TO PAY ME!!!
Forgot to say - no sneering so far that i know of (unless they are sneering at me possibly).

Wow! That's never happened that I've heard, but I'm sure they talk amongst themselves about other guests all the time. Do you think they were purposely trying to be overheard, or just not realizing who was in earshot?.
Don Draper said:
Wow! That's never happened that I've heard, but I'm sure they talk amongst themselves about other guests all the time. Do you think they were purposely trying to be overheard, or just not realizing who was in earshot?
Think they wanted to be overheard.

We have seen people give 'the look' to each other when a same sex couple or young couple comes in the room but usually nothing spoken in public and they do not continue with their disapproval looks during the meal. We had a French couple ask when checking in where everyone was from.. they had no problems with the German couple or the Japanese couple...but they were not going to eat at the same time as the Swedish couple. - so the sneer was deverted because they told me upfront.
All I can say about that couple you had this morning is they better get use to it or say at home... just read an article this morning about twenty somethings - only 13% are married, 28% are living with a significant other.... read here

I took Dad out for his bday dinner on Monday night. (Yeah the same night as the late check ins, and DH was here due to the check ins and didn't go with and of course could have, we now know...)
It was an upscale mediterranean restraurant, unlike Dad's usual Golden Corral. It was really fun. The waiter walked up and said to "Do you two beautiful people..." he was from Brasil.
Anywho he saw the gift and card that read "DAD" on the top of it and began to chuckle. We knew why, so we all began to chuckle. He was a great waiter, he got out his guitar and serenaded Dad in Portuguese for his bday, to which dad was very uncomfortable. (He got an extra good tip for that move!)
What is the saying about small minds?
"People with small minds talk about other people. People with average minds talk about events. People with great minds talk about ideas"

We have seen people give 'the look' to each other when a same sex couple or young couple comes in the room but usually nothing spoken in public and they do not continue with their disapproval looks during the meal. We had a French couple ask when checking in where everyone was from.. they had no problems with the German couple or the Japanese couple...but they were not going to eat at the same time as the Swedish couple. - so the sneer was deverted because they told me upfront.
All I can say about that couple you had this morning is they better get use to it or say at home... just read an article this morning about twenty somethings - only 13% are married, 28% are living with a significant other.... read here.
Had an 'almost' issue with the 2 girls. Another older couple came in, looked around and went to leave (only space was at the table with the 2 girls). They shifted seats so they were 90 degrees instead of 180 from each other and I called to the departing couple, 'They shifted, PLENTY of room,' almost daring them to walk off and leave those girls.
They sat down and the next thing I know they are taking pictures of each other at the table, INCLUDING pictures with them and the girls. Expand your horizons people. Nice people come in all kinds of packages.
I know doing this has expanded MY horizons.

I don't care what combination of people come to stay as long as they don't disturb the other guests with (you know the kind of noises I mean) Noise and that is any kind of couple. I also don't care what creed/colour/religion/dress (as long as it is not the clothing optional bridade). We have a transvestitie convention in Harrogate once a year. They come for the weekend and book the whole of a large local hotel and dress as women the whole time. It is not a lot to make people happy.

People are people, they are racist, bigoted, tell me some dumb blond jokes and see how funny I think those are...this is the world. If it is someone I know or care about I will mention it to them if it offends me, if it is a stranger, none of our business, everyone it entitled to their own beliefs, whether we agree or disagree with them.

PS Just to add I lived overseas and heard spoken directly to me Anti-American sentiment quite often, in a land that supposedly loves Americans. So it is all over, nothing we can do about it. You have your beliefs and I have mine. Let others have theirs.

Back