So, do you guys think that Facebook is still such a good idea?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I closed my facebook account ages ago. I didn't want it in the first place so it was no big deal to close it. Anybody I am really interested in keeping in contact with is done by phone, email or snail mail.

I have never been interested in Facebook. Altho my nephew doing his second tour in Iraq uses it often, and my mom is always trying to get me on there to interact with him.

I have to say, I would be lost without it. I have friends all over the place and love that we can keep in touch so easily by facebook.

I have to say, I would be lost without it. I have friends all over the place and love that we can keep in touch so easily by facebook..
toddburme said:
I have to say, I would be lost without it. I have friends all over the place and love that we can keep in touch so easily by facebook.
Well, be damn careful what information you post.
The only reason I posted this link was due to all the attention Facebook and Twitter have gotten as being "THE social networking tools" for promoting B&Bs.
I personally don't see it. I think it's a phenomenal waste of time.

Why are you so willingly giving up your privacy ?
Anything you post to the net is fair game to anyone and everyone.
hasn't there been enough in the news regarding the problems with the socializing networks?..........jobs lost, never hired due to something one posted on their facebook page.....Stalkers.....pedophiles.....cyber bullies.....remember the girl from Ireland that hanged herself?
Your private lives is the last control you have of yourself, family, home and friends..............throw that all away once you create the facebook or myspace account, even twitter......It's naive to think that your closed circle of family and friends on the net is "secret" - "private".........all of it is fair game to those that do harm.
There has been countless news stories and articles regarding the problem of online social networks..........fine until it happens to you.......Bet those that have had their homes broken into, lost a job cause of something posted online. Not hired due to content of their social page. Those that have had physical and emotional harm.....those that were killed or killed themselves...thought it was fine...........right up to when their privacy was invaded and harm was done to them.
Surprisingly that so many may not realize....it is up to them to protect themselves.........it's time we stop being the victum.

I too would be lost without it. I have reconnected with so many old friends and have better communication with more of my extended family this way. I am VERY careful as to what I post, while I do not have a job to loose, I do have my self respect. Early on, before it became so well known of privacy issues, I would post pics of where I was, what I was doing - NO more!
I do get ticked with some of the privacy issues that FB keeps changing, having individuals 'opted in' until you opt out by rushing to your privacy area to uncheck a box.... (sounds like a discussion about weberv. doesn't it - lol)
I have very little that anyone can see without being a Friend...even friends of friends are not permitted to see my profile. And if I do not recognize a name - it is a no go...and even if I do, but they are from my past...I will check with my close friends to make sure they are who they say they are. As far as things about me... look, there are many, many sites that are out there that hold our personal data... I was shocked to find out about 2 sites - found out through a friends FB post - that had all sorts of data about every Tom, Dick, Harry, Mary and Jane out there. After seeing this info, I went to those sites and requested my data (and that of each of my family) to be removed. But afterwords I was told that that was a drop in the bucket to the many sites that host info on the web...just waiting for someone to snatch it up.
So in other words, there are many, many ways to have your idenity stolen, and evil acts to take place... You have to act smart in this world...

i love facebook.
as for my personal profile, i am not visible in searches. i connect with those i choose to connect with. i agree with copperhead. i change my privacy settings as needed. i have an email address i connect with on facebook that is not related to any bank accounts etc ... it's just for facebook. i don't spout off about things, or post ridiculous pictures of myself that i would be embarrassed to have people find out about. i see my family on facebook ... friends who live far away. it's fun.
i help operate two business pages on facebook ... one where i work, one is a friend's who has just opened a restaurant. for over a year, they created a buzz about the coming restaurant. more and more folks 'liked' the page and asked to be added to the mailing list. they ... we ... get paying customers and visits from those who find us on facebook. we get reservations right through the links on facebook. that go to a secure site for the actual reservation. those who make reservations come to the restaurant and eat ... and pay. they tell their friends on facebook.
they are young. this is their way.
my kids are on facebook. all their friends are too. this is how they share where they like to go, where they eat, where they stay. a big group of them (they are in their late 20's and their 30's) all just booked rooms at an inn they saw on facebook. a friend of theirs stayed there, recommended it, posted pictures, and they are going. they have all paid their deposit. looking forward to a good time. they've all made reservations to go to some jazz concert that is playing in the area. they saw the link to it on the inn's facebook page.
there used to be a commercial for shampoo. you tell two friends, and they'll tell two friends, and so on and so on and so on.
why should i close these money making accounts? because the guy who founded facebook is laughing at me? i've heard lots of bankers and business owners laugh at their customers, too. because someone could get my personal information? online stores can get my personal information, too. hackers might get into my email, into my computer, into my bank account. it happens. i do what i can to guard against this and i continue to pay bills online, buy things online and email all over the place. one dear friend and business owner up in maine refuses to take credit cards because of the risks. refuses to use email, too. his choice.
facebook is useful. it is making my employer and my friend money. if this stops working, i will stop using it.
for now it's free. i love it.

I use facebook as a tool. It was created and designed to collect data the inventor could then sell don't be surprised that it is doing what it was originally designed to do.

Back