So far today is not proving to be the greatest of days, how about you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyMae

Reaction score
So, we just returned last evening from a few days at home spent with family (who we miss very much) & friends. Get up this morning (no guests checking in today) and planning for today to be a typical prep-for-this-weekend-day.
receive an email cancellation from a lady who made a reservation on the 7th of this month. They have stayed at another local inn a few times over the past year & it is that inn who referred them to us when they were closed this past winter. This would have been the 4th time the couple has stayed with us over the past few months. They are building a seasonal home in the area. she cancelled because they decided to stay with friends. the last time they stayed (about a month ago) we allowed them to stay in one of our suites for the standard room rate. they complained about numerous things in the room. the toilet handle, the gas fireplace, the shower knob, the sink stopper, etc. we have always graciously accommoated their requested breakfast time & foods. Anyway...
She emails to say that they will not be needing the 2 rooms they reserved for 1 week from now (a 5 day reservation). (normally they reserve only 1 room) our cancellation policy is 14 days notice,please. I respond to her letting her know we will apply the deposit toward the next stay with us (because she said they would be back to stay one more time until their house is finished). she calls me telling me she is shocked to find out that i am such a narrow minded business person with such poor business practices ... she can't believe i am punishing her by not giving her $ back...that she is so angry & annoyed by me that she cannot even continue speaking with me... that even the nicest hotel only requires a 24 hour notice...she decided she wanted to switch rooms & was unhappy that we have other reservations so she would have to switch rooms in the middle of her reservation...and so on & so forth.
I just nicely maintained that this is our cancellation policy,it is not in place to create difficult situations & that i am sorry she feels the way she does. she said she does not believe me & that i need to stop telling her that. I pointed out that while it is standard practice for B&B's to have a cancellation policy they do vary somewhat in their cancellation requirements. I pointed out, again, that while ours is 14 days there are places in the area that require as much as 21 days. she told me she does not believe me & that my 14 days is ridiculous.
so i just received a phone call from that other innkeeper stating that she has telephoned him. (I don't really know what the purpose of him getting involved is but, whatever... (i'm assuming maybe he wants this opportunity to make him look extra good?) he tells me, basically, that they have stayed with him a number of times, they are good customers & tht the people have decided to stay with friends. I told him that i have already spoken with her earlier that day regarding the situation, and that DH & i had already decided to contact her this afternoon to let her know that we would be proceeding with the cancellation and not charging her deposit.( we decided to ,not because we are backing down to her but because this is also our home we are not going to spend 5 days with people who have already warned us that they are not going to be nice to us) I kept my conversation with the other innkeeper short & very generic because i do not trust him to not go back to her & say something i did not say.
he told me he's happy with the good decision i made (to cancel her reservation)& it will come back around to me. (keep in mind, this is an innkeeper who has not been overly friendly to us since we have lived here)he also said, he does not want his calling to cause hard feelings between us & him. I, personally, don't really see why he felt it was necessary to get involved. I told hom we are not that kind of people & that is certainly not something we would harbor hard feelings over. (this innkeeper,on another occassion, told guests that he owns our place, but that is another story) he told me that he has been misunderstood by guests & has paid the price on Tripadvisor for standing by his business ;policies. Hmmm, interesting that he desires to uphold his policies but not not agree with us upholding ours.
anyway, i know i am rambling & probably giving TMI but i am alos venting because i am feeling a little ganged up on at the moment. I am not upset that they are not stayin g here, in fact, i am relieved. ( i hat to lose the $ but i believe we will be compensated in one form or another). Let me hear your thoughts & opiniong folks. this is a WWYD (what would you do) topic....

I hate, absolutely hate, when guests do not think the policies apply to them. I am sure that they have received several emails from you containing those policies as they have stayed several times already.
I think I would be full next time they call. If they get on so well with the other innkeeper, let him take the chance on their cancelling at the last minute. When I send the cancellation email, it contains in it the policies the guests are held to. Be glad you don't have to deal with these guests now as they do sound very needy. (Also be glad you're not the contractor building the house!)
As to how we handle guests who have stayed many times...there are perks that include last minute cancels. BUT, these are generally guests we really like and not the kind that this couple seems to be.

I hate, absolutely hate, when guests do not think the policies apply to them. I am sure that they have received several emails from you containing those policies as they have stayed several times already.
I think I would be full next time they call. If they get on so well with the other innkeeper, let him take the chance on their cancelling at the last minute. When I send the cancellation email, it contains in it the policies the guests are held to. Be glad you don't have to deal with these guests now as they do sound very needy. (Also be glad you're not the contractor building the house!)
As to how we handle guests who have stayed many times...there are perks that include last minute cancels. BUT, these are generally guests we really like and not the kind that this couple seems to be..
thanks bree, i wasted no time adding them to our "we're full" list. it is unfortunate that this situation had to end up this way but, these things happen. we do take great care, like all of you, to tend to our guest & i do feel we are quite accommodating on most all occasions. I guess if i was the other innkeeper, when the lady approached me, my feelings would have been that it is a situation that does not concern me & it's between you & them. i would have not intervened. but that's just me.
i usually tend to second guess myself & think well, maybe i did the wrong thing or i should have refunded, or ... but, for some reason, in this case i don't find myself second guessing myself.

As to how we handle guests who have stayed many times...there are perks that include last minute cancels. BUT, these are generally guests we really like and not the kind that this couple seems to be..
thanks bree, i wasted no time adding them to our "we're full" list. it is unfortunate that this situation had to end up this way but, these things happen. we do take great care, like all of you, to tend to our guest & i do feel we are quite accommodating on most all occasions. I guess if i was the other innkeeper, when the lady approached me, my feelings would have been that it is a situation that does not concern me & it's between you & them. i would have not intervened. but that's just me.
i usually tend to second guess myself & think well, maybe i did the wrong thing or i should have refunded, or ... but, for some reason, in this case i don't find myself second guessing myself.
Well, I relayed this story to hubs and his take on it is that the guests are not staying with friends but staying at the other inn, which is why she called them to intervene.
Like you, if someone called me to intervene on their behalf with another innkeeper I would decline to do so. I would say I have no control over another inn's policies and it wouldn't be my place to intervene. I've had guests call and tell me they have a rez at such and such and do I think they will be charged if they cancel? I tell them I don't know what the other inn's policy is in regard to that, but that they should NOT book with me until they find out or they might end up having to pay ME if they find out they can't get out of the other place.
However, if they ARE staying with him, he probably feels like he SHOULD intervene.

Something sounds fishy!!!! I am sencing that this other innkeeper may have told these guests that HE owns your place (as you reported he has told others) and THAT is why he got involved...He was trying to save face with this couple. I am sure HE will take credit for 'changing your mind'. I would not be suprised if this other innkeeper is the 'friend' that this couple is staying with either. - No matter what, you are smart to add them to your 'We're full' list. And hopefully - you WILL be full if you ever get their call again. You will rest easier knowing that this person will not be resting under your roof!
I am sure this would not have changed the outcome of this matter as it seems she was unwilling to deal with you at all; - but I want to share with you what we have added to our cancellation policy recently (borrowed from another site) 'if you happen to have the unfortunate need to cancel after our cancel by date, please be assured that we will make every attempt to rebook the room and if we are able to rebook for the entire booked period, we will be happy to refund your deposit, minus a small admin. fee of X. '

Well, I relayed this story to hubs and his take on it is that the guests are not staying with friends but staying at the other inn, which is why she called them to intervene.
Like you, if someone called me to intervene on their behalf with another innkeeper I would decline to do so. I would say I have no control over another inn's policies and it wouldn't be my place to intervene. I've had guests call and tell me they have a rez at such and such and do I think they will be charged if they cancel? I tell them I don't know what the other inn's policy is in regard to that, but that they should NOT book with me until they find out or they might end up having to pay ME if they find out they can't get out of the other place.
However, if they ARE staying with him, he probably feels like he SHOULD intervene.
Hummmm your DH and I think alike! (He must be a great guy! LOL
wink_smile.gif
)

Mollysmom, you are certainly not alone. We had a frequent guest who was a royal PITA. She would book months in advance to attend business meetings nearby. EVERY time, as her arrival date approached, something would come up and she would inevitably have to cancel completely or shorten her length of stay. We have a 10 day cancellation policy and she would always call us a day or two before her scheduled arrival or she would tell us she wasn't staying as long as planned once she'd arrived. At first we didn't charge her because we were fairly new in the business. This went on for a while, until we finally said, "no more" and told her that we would have to charge her in the future if she canceled within the 10 day period. The next time she was booked to stay with us she cancelled on the day she was supposed to arrive. We charged her. She was not happy so the next time she stayed at the other B&B in town. She did the same thing to them. They caught on quicker and put her on their "we're full list" too. Then she tried booking both B&B's for the same dates. Both of us turned her away and after that she had to stay at a hotel 30 minutes away. I thought I would miss the $$ but we ended up filling that room with other, much nicer, guests coming for the same meetings. I'd much rather go without than have to deal with people like that. If she had been a really great guest I would have been more flexible, but she was not. She was demanding, unappreciative, and a slob. No one needs that. Luckily there are so many wonderful guests that make up for the PITA's.
regular_smile.gif

My 2 cents...
If they are good guests typically and have stayed with me a few times, I would bend the rules for them. If it was a 24 hour notice thing that would be totally unacceptable, but a week I would bend.
On the other hand, if another innkeeper called to discuss 'them' with me, I would stick to my guns as it is none of his business!!

wink_smile.gif
)
Copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif
)
Yeah, he's a terrific kid.

Mollysmom, you are certainly not alone. We had a frequent guest who was a royal PITA. She would book months in advance to attend business meetings nearby. EVERY time, as her arrival date approached, something would come up and she would inevitably have to cancel completely or shorten her length of stay. We have a 10 day cancellation policy and she would always call us a day or two before her scheduled arrival or she would tell us she wasn't staying as long as planned once she'd arrived. At first we didn't charge her because we were fairly new in the business. This went on for a while, until we finally said, "no more" and told her that we would have to charge her in the future if she canceled within the 10 day period. The next time she was booked to stay with us she cancelled on the day she was supposed to arrive. We charged her. She was not happy so the next time she stayed at the other B&B in town. She did the same thing to them. They caught on quicker and put her on their "we're full list" too. Then she tried booking both B&B's for the same dates. Both of us turned her away and after that she had to stay at a hotel 30 minutes away. I thought I would miss the $$ but we ended up filling that room with other, much nicer, guests coming for the same meetings. I'd much rather go without than have to deal with people like that. If she had been a really great guest I would have been more flexible, but she was not. She was demanding, unappreciative, and a slob. No one needs that. Luckily there are so many wonderful guests that make up for the PITA's.
regular_smile.gif
Whenever we rebook a guests who cancels, I worry about it until they are gone again! There are only a couple of them now who still try to rebook after cancelling 2-3 times. I am not at all adverse to letting them know I cannot hold the room but they are welcome to call the day of arrival and book then, if there are any openings.
Some guests argue that we should be happy for the business. Well, yes, IF they actually GAVE us business! All they do is placehold so real, paying guests can't book!

My 2 cents...
If they are good guests typically and have stayed with me a few times, I would bend the rules for them. If it was a 24 hour notice thing that would be totally unacceptable, but a week I would bend.
On the other hand, if another innkeeper called to discuss 'them' with me, I would stick to my guns as it is none of his business!! .
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
My 2 cents...
If they are good guests typically and have stayed with me a few times, I would bend the rules for them.
Yeah, good guests get perks. We've had apologies above and beyond from 'good' guests who had to cancel at the last minute. Unlike the 'bad' guests who start in yelling immediately that they didn't know anything about any cancellation policies.

i have a feeling they are actually staying with him also simply because when he called me he (i think it may have been a slipup actually on his part) he had stated that they are "staying with friends" but his slipup was when he said that "they hadn't realized we are open this time of year" so i agree, i too think they may possibly be staying with him.
We have been flexible with our policies at times but this lady has made a deposit for her prior reservations so i have a pretty good idea that she knows how the whole deal works.
i think people forget somethimes too that even though these are our businesses, they are also our homes. When it goes beyond business policies & the guest starts saying things like " you are a narrow minded, poor excuse for a business person with poor businesses practices..." &" we are not happy about the fact that we will have to stay with you after all and we have no intentions of being ice about it..." i feel personally attacked and i refuse to be bullied, mistreated, or what have you in my own home.
if nothing else, i'm sure we will make for good conversation over breakfast. the other inn is practically across the street from us so i'll have to notice if there car is there on check in day.

There was one time a regular guest asked me to call another innkeeper for her. I did not want to but did and have regreted making that call ever since. The ONLY reason i did acquiese was she is a very regular guest and I felt boxed in. Should that ever happen again, I would not make the call.

i have a feeling they are actually staying with him also simply because when he called me he (i think it may have been a slipup actually on his part) he had stated that they are "staying with friends" but his slipup was when he said that "they hadn't realized we are open this time of year" so i agree, i too think they may possibly be staying with him.
We have been flexible with our policies at times but this lady has made a deposit for her prior reservations so i have a pretty good idea that she knows how the whole deal works.
i think people forget somethimes too that even though these are our businesses, they are also our homes. When it goes beyond business policies & the guest starts saying things like " you are a narrow minded, poor excuse for a business person with poor businesses practices..." &" we are not happy about the fact that we will have to stay with you after all and we have no intentions of being ice about it..." i feel personally attacked and i refuse to be bullied, mistreated, or what have you in my own home.
if nothing else, i'm sure we will make for good conversation over breakfast. the other inn is practically across the street from us so i'll have to notice if there car is there on check in day..
mollysmom said:
if nothing else, i'm sure we will make for good conversation over breakfast. the other inn is practically across the street from us so i'll have to notice if there car is there on check in day.
Oh please tell me there is ANY possible excuse for you to go over there as they are checking in!
I was in town the other day chatting with one of my friends in her shop when the door opened and in walked a customer. I wasn't paying attention to her, but greeted her casually (as I hate it when I walk into a store and am ignored by the people working there because they are talking with friends or coworkers) and moved away from the counter so she could speak to the owner.
Well, lo and behold, as she came up to the counter I realized it was the 'housekeeper' we had a few years ago who left us in the lurch and then went around telling people we didn't pay her. She never said boo to me and stood with her back to me the whole time. I said goodbye to my friend AND the ex housekeeper and walked out the door laughing to myself. But I really wanted to stay there and make her more uncomfortable than she was. She treated us very poorly and we were better off that she did stop showing up.

if nothing else, i'm sure we will make for good conversation over breakfast. the other inn is practically across the street from us so i'll have to notice if there car is there on check in day..
mollysmom said:
Oh please tell me there is ANY possible excuse for you to go over there as they are checking in!
I was in town the other day chatting with one of my friends in her shop when the door opened and in walked a customer. I wasn't paying attention to her, but greeted her casually (as I hate it when I walk into a store and am ignored by the people working there because they are talking with friends or coworkers) and moved away from the counter so she could speak to the owner.
Well, lo and behold, as she came up to the counter I realized it was the 'housekeeper' we had a few years ago who left us in the lurch and then went around telling people we didn't pay her. She never said boo to me and stood with her back to me the whole time. I said goodbye to my friend AND the ex housekeeper and walked out the door laughing to myself. But I really wanted to stay there and make her more uncomfortable than she was. She treated us very poorly and we were better off that she did stop showing up.
Bree said:
Well, lo and behold, as she came up to the counter I realized it was the 'housekeeper' we had a few years ago who left us in the lurch and then went around telling people we didn't pay her. She never said boo to me and stood with her back to me the whole time.
And she still feels guilty over what she did and showed it in her actions. Guilt reminds us of our wrong doings. Hopefully she learned a lesson. And you ARE better off not having her in your employ.

to whomever may be interested:
when i checked my email this a.m. there was one from the lady that this topic is about. She basically apologized for the way she was yesterday. she told me she had had a bad day then my email about cancellation pushed her over the edge. still, no excuse imho
(i thought "hmmmm, you owe me an apology? darn right ya do lady!")
she did confess that they are staying at the inn across the street and she did not think it woiuld be a big deal if she cancelled with us because she feels their loyalty is to that other inn anyway.
she totally missed the point that it does not matter to us where or who she stays with. that was never an issue for us.
i had emaioled her last night just saying that our decision was made before receiving a phone call from the other innkeeper...that our business is also our personal home and we appreciate respect toward our home as we are sure she feels the same toward her home...we were very gracious/ accommodating to her & her DH when they stayed (we even let them have a late check out each time they stayed)
anyway, over & done with & i look forward to being able to bump into her sometime this summer, because, just like you Bree, i enjoy creating an uncomfortable situation for certain people also.
teeth_smile.gif

have a nice day everyone!

to whomever may be interested:
when i checked my email this a.m. there was one from the lady that this topic is about. She basically apologized for the way she was yesterday. she told me she had had a bad day then my email about cancellation pushed her over the edge. still, no excuse imho
(i thought "hmmmm, you owe me an apology? darn right ya do lady!")
she did confess that they are staying at the inn across the street and she did not think it woiuld be a big deal if she cancelled with us because she feels their loyalty is to that other inn anyway.
she totally missed the point that it does not matter to us where or who she stays with. that was never an issue for us.
i had emaioled her last night just saying that our decision was made before receiving a phone call from the other innkeeper...that our business is also our personal home and we appreciate respect toward our home as we are sure she feels the same toward her home...we were very gracious/ accommodating to her & her DH when they stayed (we even let them have a late check out each time they stayed)
anyway, over & done with & i look forward to being able to bump into her sometime this summer, because, just like you Bree, i enjoy creating an uncomfortable situation for certain people also.
teeth_smile.gif

have a nice day everyone!.
just like you Bree, i enjoy creating an uncomfortable situation for certain people also.
LOL There are some people that a good kick down the stairs can do wonders for. ;)
pita.gif

So...let's hope these PITAs need a room during a really busy time and the other inn is full and they have to contact you, and you tell them, "sorry!".
I'd say you dodged the bullet!!!!
Riki

Back