So Many Lessons to learn with Groups!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Dreamer

Reaction score
Who knew there were so many lessons to learn when you book groups?!?!?!?
Who knew you should have a legally written and approved, notarized, contract to give them to avoid any misunderstandings as well! (Or it seems like some people need that!)
Booked 10 months ago, offered a discount based on on our policy that weekends are a 2 night minimum...they thought Thurs/Fri counted... My first mistake was accepting since they were booking our entire space - (but at least I did remove the discount because I knew our weekend was now shot to H*LL!)
But then, they changed the details and person count at least once a month, then once a week the last month before check-in. Asked us to host a brunch for 15 - 20 (we can only sleep 10 - thus had to decline because we are not licensed to serve food to non-guests). They invited other family members - with babies - in after they arrived back from dinner at 9:30pm - at least hubby went up and informed the husband of our non guest policy again. But then had the nerve to ask if family could come over and lounge in our commons area the morning of the wedding, because she had already told them all to plan on it.
What about "we cannot accommodate non-guest visitors" do they NOT understand?!?
I am counting the hours until check-out - T-Minus 22 1/2 hours....!!!

Yep. They think they rented a house, you think they rented all your rooms. A bit of a difference.
They heard you say no food for non-guests. They didn't hear you say, no guests.
It is always extra work.

Northern Dreamer said:
Who knew there were so many lessons to learn when you book groups?!?!?!?
I think some groups and individuals feel they are above the rules, just more difficult with a group since all your eggs are in that one basket

You'll never make these mistakes again. There's consolation in that. However, life will be hell until they leave.
Beachy is correct - you rented rooms, the guests rented a house with a built in butler.

Set out a contract, set out a price, set out the number of guests and beds, set out if unregistered people are allowed on the property, set out the punishment.
Any changed are subject to a $50 fee, each time. Anyone unregistered on the property will cause the reservation to be cancelled with no refunds and the police called for illegal trespass.

Set out a contract, set out a price, set out the number of guests and beds, set out if unregistered people are allowed on the property, set out the punishment.
Any changed are subject to a $50 fee, each time. Anyone unregistered on the property will cause the reservation to be cancelled with no refunds and the police called for illegal trespass..
That's strict and it's a shame that in the "hospitality" business you have to be like that, but you do because otherwise people will walk all over you.

Lesson learned, people gone, thank you all or the input!!! I can absolutely see how they took what I "didn't say" and ran with it! At least it ended well overall, but mostly I am glad it has ENDED!
Love the contract idea - already writing it up now for next season (or next inquiry!)
Was like walking on eggs without falling face first into the mess and ruining everyone's stay...I didn't want to be a bitch, but she was in there wanting to come out!
Worst thing about this particular booking - this was a former business acquaintance/friend of mine and her family....UGH!

Lesson learned, people gone, thank you all or the input!!! I can absolutely see how they took what I "didn't say" and ran with it! At least it ended well overall, but mostly I am glad it has ENDED!
Love the contract idea - already writing it up now for next season (or next inquiry!)
Was like walking on eggs without falling face first into the mess and ruining everyone's stay...I didn't want to be a bitch, but she was in there wanting to come out!
Worst thing about this particular booking - this was a former business acquaintance/friend of mine and her family....UGH!.
Northern Dreamer said:
Worst thing about this particular booking - this was a former business acquaintance/friend of mine and her family....UGH!
That may explain a lot right there, some "friends" tend to think rules shouldn't apply to them.

Worst thing about this particular booking - this was a former business acquaintance/friend of mine and her family....UGH!.
Northern Dreamer said:
That may explain a lot right there, some "friends" tend to think rules shouldn't apply to them.
Whenever we 'book' for friends, we are disappointed. We block the room, they change their minds, we get no money.

Have them sign a contract and pay a refundable security deposit. Make the deposit large enough so they want to make sure they get it back as long as they don't break any of the rules in the contract.
It has worked for us and seems to keep people in check, but I in no way promote a group renting out all the rooms that know each other.

Northern Dreamer said:
Whenever we 'book' for friends, we are disappointed. We block the room, they change their minds, we get no money.
TheBeachHouse said:
Of course I may not have that many friends, that small handful of real friends and family are more important than money and I don't think would take advantage of me, outside of that small group I'd have to limit my invitations.

Back