SO much better than any TA review could ever be...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
These just got delivered from 3 first-time guests to our Inn who did our special tour package last weekend. They had all been to a bed and breakfast before but kept saying over and over how they couldn't believe how every little thing was taken care of for them here and for the whole weekend. They were super nice and really enjoyed the tours we did, and we enjoyed their company tremendously and were glad to have them.
This morning the one woman wrote me the nicest email thanking us for the stay, saying how great everything was...then this afternoon these were delivered. Will this woman go online and write a review of her own accord? Absolutely not...she found us based on the tour we were doing and her interest in it. I would be most uncomfortable asking her to write a review, though she likely would if I pointedly ask. But in my mind they are all very likely to be back to stay with us again and the word of mouth they are undoubtedly spreading is just priceless to us. Just my vvho, I know we bat this back and forth a lot about sending thank you's and mentioning reviews. What an incredible surprise...and how adorable too!
Flowers_0.jpg

Good for you...says volumes about you and the way you run your Inn!
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Wow! Sweet gifts and good memories to boot. You must feel wonderful.
Thanks for sharing.
I think there is a whole contingent of people out there, who for a variety of reasons, like shyness, not feeling that they write very well, desire to keep their life simple, and a whole host of others will just not go write a review about anything, anywhere. The review producing world is such a small percentage of the total, its not even funny.
It doesn't mean they aren't really grateful, appreciative of our efforts or unwilling to "help" us build our businesses so we survive until their next visit, they just don't want to express their gratitude in what we're all being told by industry advocates as the "best" way to do so.
I'm so convinced of this opinion that I go out of my way to ignore the frequent reminders from incoming guests about "reading all the wonderful reviews about your place"
If I had a nickel for every guest that comes here and tells us that, but never writes a review, we'd be retired already. Maybe a few of them have seen the commercials with the blatant blackmailing of one's hotel staff and are sending a pre-emptive shot across our bow, but they needn't do so, they all get treated well.
Even our guests who don't have computers, went total old school and picked up a brochure somewhere and called to make their reservations or have no idea what TA is. LOL
All the prodding from me isn't going to change the fact that MOST people aren't going to write a review even if asked in the most sincere, tactful ways.

They are beautiful. Those are the kudos that are remembered.
I will never forget the flowers that were sent to me at work in the late 70s by a man who I helped get his system working - I cannot remember where he was now - and it was just part of my job, and I told him that when he thanked me that night. Next night when I came to work there were the flowers. When I called to thank him, he said good work deserves rewarding. What a life that gave me.
To get flowers from 2 guests shows just how special you made them feel. It reminds you of why you are an innkeeper.

Nothing like that feeling. Something like that would make me cry. You must be an awesome host/hostess! Bravo!

Kudos to you! I love the bird house. You obviously went above & beyond for those guests and they appreciated it. :)

Kudos to you! I love the bird house. You obviously went above & beyond for those guests and they appreciated it. :)

They did make me cry...when the van pulled up I was outside with the dog and said to DH "Oh cool, one of the guests is getting flowers"...so it was even better when we realized they were for us! Just a really great, out-of-the-blue surprise.
These special packages that we put together are SO much work for us...we are probably going to cut back a bit for next year. But we really love doing them as well, and something like getting these flowers makes us realize that guests love them too so we are going to try to find a way to keep putting the weekends on and at the same time try to make it less work for us, or maybe just at a less busy time of year.

THis is what makes it all worthwhile! What a wonderful surprise for you from some obviously pleased and kind guests.

Back