So What Are Boutique Hotels?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Interesting article -
Boutique Hotels Go Mainstream
Excerpt -
"Wyndham's new Fashion 26 property in New York's Chelsea neighborhood is being marketed as a boutique hotel, despite the hotel's 280 rooms, 20 floors, three bars, restaurant, boardroom, and meeting space for 80 people. Overall, the hotel has the scale of a department store more than a cozy boutique."

My question is how long will the appeal of all that 'square' furnishing last? It all looks like the most uncomfortable, cold accommodations ever. Nothing looks 'comfy' but I suppose that is the look we are all supposed to emulate now. It's the Gen X/Y look.

Looks cold to me but then again it is the people who work there that make it "comfy".
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I have seen these boutique places where I used to work went that way and lost all their customers. They hired in an interior designwer who knew nothing about hotels and practicalities. He put in pale grey suede booths in the restaurant which are not wipe clean and looked dirty in about 24 hours with black plastic tables which are always covered in finger prints however much you polish them. The reception desk is like a table so no where for the computer with a low hanging lamp to bang your head on. He put in huge mirrors as big as a door which only lean against a wall no fixings so it is just a matter of time before one falls on someone. The beds are like a futon style only about 5 inches for the base then a mattress so old people or people with bad knees have to basically fall on them to get down and then sort of roll onto hands and knees to get out with wood all the way round to bark your shins on. I didn't see a thing he put in that I would even consider he clearly designed only for houses with a full time cleaner. People say boutique is design led well thats fine but there are some people I wouldn't let design an outside toilet for me it has to be good design!

Back