"So, what do you do all day?"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Got another one wanting to know what we do all day when everyone is gone. This asked as we're bustin' butt to get all the rooms seated for brekkie and one room does the 'place-holding'- 'he'll be along in a minute'- after getting coffee at 8 and saying they'd be along in 'about 45 minutes' and me reminding them when breakfast ends.
Yeah, what DO i do all day???

Now I'm rolling my eyes...can you imagine ever saying that to anyone who you could visibly see was working? I find that particular question SO disrespectful.
Hubs' favorite answer is "After breakfast we sit and count our money".
regular_smile.gif

We sit around watching the 3 stooges while the cleaning fairies flit along cleaning rooms, doing laundry, and cleaning up the kitchen.
smileystooges.gif

Now I'm rolling my eyes...can you imagine ever saying that to anyone who you could visibly see was working? I find that particular question SO disrespectful.
Hubs' favorite answer is "After breakfast we sit and count our money".
regular_smile.gif
Ah, I like that one.
This particular person today was not a happy camper. Gomez noticed it yesterday, but I didn't. Not sure what set her off- something here, her traveling partner, the trip itself. No idea.
I worked with her as best I could to give her info, but I don't know everything. I guess because she lives 3 hours from her airport she assumed I would know how to ge to an airport that is 3 hours from me. Nope, I don't. They could have used the computer to get directions, never saw them try. I won't take responsibility for directions to a place I've been once in my life a long time ago. Especially on a holiday weekend when I don't know what's closed for parades, etc.

We sit around watching the 3 stooges while the cleaning fairies flit along cleaning rooms, doing laundry, and cleaning up the kitchen.
smileystooges.gif
Personally, I think it was directed solely at me. Not Gomez. I think this kind of person was brought up in another thread...I'm not in the kitchen cooking, so I must not DO anything all day.
Poor Gomez got the brunt of that the other day when a guy came up to the counter in the kitchen and said (I kid you not), 'Hey, Buddy, how come you're in the kitchen?' (snicker, snicker)
Gomez, unlike me, is grace under pressure. He turned to the guy and said, 'Ever seen the inside of a restaurant kitchen? Men cook.' Implication being- if you can't, why not? Guest walked away.

Watch the B&B fairies clean, repair, mow, and operate the business.

Yes, specially people that HAVE NEVER BEEN IN INNKEEPING OR HOSPITALITY! It just kills me-Yup bon bon's and champagne-now that's what I'm talking about
sad_smile.gif

If I am super lucky in the afternoon I may have a Half hour nap (how sad is my life?)

I think that it's just that they don't know any better. Many people here assumed that we had hired help that came in and cleaned the rooms, took care of the yards, did all the maintenance, etc. Probably thought that we hired an accountant and someone to do the marketing also. I think that they really thought that we checked them in & did the breakfast part and that was it.
Many, many, many of our guests were surprised that my dh had a full-time plus "other" job in addition to helping me out when he could!!
Having time for a nap was a luxury!

A strange perspective .... I had a sweetheart of an older lady stay with me and ask pretty much the same question ... except she phrased it as a statement along the lines of - "it must be so nice to have a job where you get to ..... (basically spend most of your day doing bugger all". The second day she came down to breakfast and said (and I paraphrase) .... "I've been lying awake all night thinking about it and what I said yesterday was idiotic wasn't it".
One day I'll figure out whether that was a good thing or a bad thing.

I know some people my sister works with (she has no interest in B&B) oh why don't you want to do it you just do breakfast and then have the rest of the day off? she said oh yes and who would be doing the marketing, cleaning checking people in and answering the phone and the emails? oh yes what dumb asses.

A strange perspective .... I had a sweetheart of an older lady stay with me and ask pretty much the same question ... except she phrased it as a statement along the lines of - "it must be so nice to have a job where you get to ..... (basically spend most of your day doing bugger all". The second day she came down to breakfast and said (and I paraphrase) .... "I've been lying awake all night thinking about it and what I said yesterday was idiotic wasn't it".
One day I'll figure out whether that was a good thing or a bad thing..
UKMaineiac said:
"I've been lying awake all night thinking about it and what I said yesterday was idiotic wasn't it".
One day I'll figure out whether that was a good thing or a bad thing.
It's a good thing!
I always wonder when I have the opposite kind of guest... who recognizes how much work it is... should I be making it look easier?
=)
Kk.

One day I'll figure out whether that was a good thing or a bad thing..
A bookstore we used to go to from time to time is going out of business and since the books are 50% off, DH decided to make another pass today. Since we checked out guests this morning we were wearing our "company" shirts. As I was checking out, the about to retire bookstore owner commented, "owning a bed & breakfast is HARD WORK!" I was dumbfounded - someone who gets it! (there were other customers so I was not able to find out how she knew it was hard work.)

Drink pina coladas & go to the beach, of course-we are in the Caribbean.

The last time I went to the beach was when I left the island. As you know it's still work, where ever you are & in THIS line of work it's 24/7.

Back