Soap In The Bathroom: So Simple But Perhaps Not So Obvious

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I have wall mount liquid hand soap dispensers in each bathroom that I hope people will use because it's less wasteful than bar soap. But I also put scent-free bar soap in the bathrooms for those who want bar soap.
In one bathroom, there's a full wall mirror over the vanity, so I had to mount the liquid soap on the side wall (red circle in the images below). From the beginning, I put the bar soap in a soap dish to the left of the lavatory (blue square in the first two images below).
I found that 95% of people opened and used the bar soap.
I decided maybe they weren't noticing the wall mounted dispenser until after they had opened the bar soap. I moved the bar soap dish to the right wall, beneath the wall mount liquid dispenser (second image below). Voila! Now I'm finding that 60% never open the bar soap, but only use the liquid!!!
soap-2.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
soap-3.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
soap-4.jpg

No matter what please have one bar of soap for those of us who hate, really truly hate, trying to shower with liquid soap.
Thank you. :)

No matter what please have one bar of soap for those of us who hate, really truly hate, trying to shower with liquid soap.
Thank you. :).
Until last year, we provided 2 labeled soaps (Ful ler), one on the tub and one at the sink. These soaps are expensive and I got tired of throwing away the sink soaps that were barely touched. We now have liquid soap dispensers at the sink and the nice bar on the tub. It's been a huge savings for us and it doesn't seem to matter to the guests.

Madeleine said:
Got you covered. You just have to carry the bar from the lavatory to the shower. I have liquid in the shower, but also have a soap dish, though I find that most people just use the soap dish to hold a tightly wadded up wet wash cloth.
In fact, hunting for wash cloths is like hunting Easter eggs. I've found them up over the top of the shower spout, in the soap dishes, down in the lowest most out of the way corner in the bathroom. You name it.
By the way, did you know that wash cloths are practically unheard of in Europe?

Madeleine said:
Got you covered. You just have to carry the bar from the lavatory to the shower. I have liquid in the shower, but also have a soap dish, though I find that most people just use the soap dish to hold a tightly wadded up wet wash cloth.
In fact, hunting for wash cloths is like hunting Easter eggs. I've found them up over the top of the shower spout, in the soap dishes, down in the lowest most out of the way corner in the bathroom. You name it.
Arkansawyer said:
Makes me wonder, is there an obvious and convenient place for someone to hang a dripping wet washcloth (or dripping wet bathing suit, etc....)? You know, where it's not going to drip all over things that people might not want to have dripped on (like the floor, the countertop, etc...)
I guess in my own home, I tend to go for the shower head and/or the caddy hanging from the shower head.... Anyone else come up with a brilliant solution to this problem? For yourself or/and for your guests?

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Makes me wonder, is there an obvious and convenient place for someone to hang a dripping wet washcloth (or dripping wet bathing suit, etc....)? You know, where it's not going to drip all over things that people might not want to have dripped on (like the floor, the countertop, etc...)
I guess in my own home, I tend to go for the shower head and/or the caddy hanging from the shower head.... Anyone else come up with a brilliant solution to this problem? For yourself or/and for your guests?
A couple of things come to mind... Wring the dammed thing out! Ah, thank you for letting me get that out.
If there is no place in the shower to hang it, then yes it's going over the knobs or the shower head.
Yes, we find them everywhere. Wadded up, soaking wet like WE want to pick them up and wring them out!

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Harborfields said:
Makes me wonder, is there an obvious and convenient place for someone to hang a dripping wet washcloth...
Never really thought of this before. Towels are mostly dry, but washcloths are wet through and through. They have to put them someplace. I guess a peg on the shower/tub wall would be most ideal, but nobody in the history of the world has provided one. A completely unique concept!

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Harborfields said:
Makes me wonder, is there an obvious and convenient place for someone to hang a dripping wet washcloth...
Never really thought of this before. Towels are mostly dry, but washcloths are wet through and through. They have to put them someplace. I guess a peg on the shower/tub wall would be most ideal, but nobody in the history of the world has provided one. A completely unique concept!
Some shower models have a place to hang them, just like in a tub.

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Harborfields said:
Madeleine said:
Well I can't find any on Amazon so I'm at a loss. I must have these magnificent pegs! Ideally with a label indicating what they're for, else my guests will use them for everything BUT washcloths.
In the tubs they wad them up in a ball and put them in a corner, wet. What gets me is that they'd never do that at home. The know wet things need to dry. But on they road, they are children. BAD children.

Mine (wash cloths) are ALWAYS hanging on the grab bar in the showers.
The original dispenser unit from 1996 is in the shared bath and is perfect. The NEW one in the private bath leaks - to the point (even after putting in a new chamber) that I found a shower floor full of shampoo 2 days in a row (no guests, just checking on the second day). I now have pump bottles that reside on the seat in the shower stall under the shower head. Soap, Shampoo, Conditioner. The seat on the other side is available to the person in the shower. I plan to make a template of the tray these bottles sit in to send to my son with dimensions so he can craft a wall mount for me. I think he can do it - with braces to withstand the pressure of people pumping the bottles.

I put one bar of soap IN the shower, displayed on the amenities rack, and a pretty dispenser indicating "hand soap" sits on the sink. I also get sick of the waste. This way, they don't grab the bar soap and leave me a nasty mess to clean up on the sink. And it saved me $.20.

For stay overs, I'll put another bar of soap with the other amenities, so I don't look too terribly cheap :) That second bar is opened about 10% of the time.

Ark, I am allergic to triclosan (anti-bacterial ingredient in so many liquid soaps) and am also sensitive to a few things. My skin literally splits open like tiny paper cuts. More info than you wanted to know, right?
Does your liquid soap dispenser say what's in it? If I can't determine what's in it, I won't touch it. I don't hassle the innkeeper about it, of course. And carry my own stuff when I can just in case.

Ark, I am allergic to triclosan (anti-bacterial ingredient in so many liquid soaps) and am also sensitive to a few things. My skin literally splits open like tiny paper cuts. More info than you wanted to know, right?
Does your liquid soap dispenser say what's in it? If I can't determine what's in it, I won't touch it. I don't hassle the innkeeper about it, of course. And carry my own stuff when I can just in case..
Our hand soap and shampoo containers do not say what the ingredients are. Nor does the bar soap. Good to know. I do have a few bars of Ivory on hand if anyone asks.
I refuse to buy anything with anti bacterials in it but it is getting really hard to find them. Altho, G&S doesn't have them you wouldn't know where I got the shampoo once it's in the dispenser.

:) Like I said, it's my own problem and I try to carry my own. Sometimes I forget. 3 months ago my packed plastic bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash split open in my suitcase inside a ziplock bag which I didn't discover until I opened my suitcase. Little plastic bottle of aspirin, broken inside its own bag. My bag looked like the baggage handlers had tap danced on it. ugh.
One place I stayed, there was a little ingredient list in the room book (ah, the room book!!). When I had the b&b it never occurred to me that a guest would be looking for ingredients in the soap. I don't know if they were on the labels back then or not.

:) Like I said, it's my own problem and I try to carry my own. Sometimes I forget. 3 months ago my packed plastic bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash split open in my suitcase inside a ziplock bag which I didn't discover until I opened my suitcase. Little plastic bottle of aspirin, broken inside its own bag. My bag looked like the baggage handlers had tap danced on it. ugh.
One place I stayed, there was a little ingredient list in the room book (ah, the room book!!). When I had the b&b it never occurred to me that a guest would be looking for ingredients in the soap. I don't know if they were on the labels back then or not..
seashanty said:
One place I stayed, there was a little ingredient list in the room book (ah, the room book!!). When I had the b&b it never occurred to me that a guest would be looking for ingredients in the soap. I don't know if they were on the labels back then or not.
Dawn liquid does it to me every time.
You know I handed out some smarties (in the usa they are NOT the female M&M type but more like little sweet tarts, fyi for o/s innmates). I put them on the desk of each person in this particular class, I had one lady grab the bag from my hand and say, and I quote "I need to know what is in these!"
It was very rude, she didn't ask, she just took it from me. Some people are weird.

Does your liquid soap dispenser say what's in it? If I can't determine what's in it, I won't touch it. I don't hassle the innkeeper about it, of course. And carry my own stuff when I can just in case..
Our hand soap and shampoo containers do not say what the ingredients are. Nor does the bar soap. Good to know. I do have a few bars of Ivory on hand if anyone asks.
I refuse to buy anything with anti bacterials in it but it is getting really hard to find them. Altho, G&S doesn't have them you wouldn't know where I got the shampoo once it's in the dispenser.
Madeleine said:
Altho, G&S doesn't have them you wouldn't know where I got the shampoo once it's in the dispenser.
I use the G&S products, but it doesn't list ingredients on the dispenser. Yes I've read that people should not use antibacterial soaps as they then to encourage development of resistant "super bugs".

Hello friends,
I would highly recommend vermont soap for all your guest and laundry needs. We are working on switching to them and they have been very helpful. They have wall mounted dispensers and now started offering 1oz bottles if you prefer. Organic non toxic goodness that they can white label for you as well.
Just thought I would share :)
James

I heard that there's some talk about the FDA revisiting food labels. I suggest that processed foods ought to come with MSDS's (Material Safety Data Sheets). Sounds like maybe the same thing ought to go for toiletries and stuff...
<tangent>Which brings up another subject -- but I'll make a new topic with a poll...</tangent>

Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Harborfields said:
After b**ings about this after our 1st season with a pool, we added 2 hooks in the tub/shower combo. They get used a lot.

Back