Soap Making

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
4 cups olive oil
4 cups soy oil
4 cups coconut oil
1 1/3 cups (12 ounces)lye
4 cups water
6 Tablespoons scent or essential oil
First put the lye into 4 cups COLD water into a large STAINLESS STEEL or ENAMEL container and stir with a large slotted stainless steel spoon (restaurant type). DO NOT USE ALUMINUM!!! This will become very hot. Let it cool to about 100 degrees. (just guess at it) Meanwhile melt the olive oil, soy oil, and coconut oils to about the same 100 degree temp. Mix the lye water into the oils - slowly and stir with a stick blender until the consistency of cake batter. Then add the scent or essential oils and stir until well mixed. Pour into plastic or freezer paper lined box. Cover and let sit for 24 hours. Cut into bars and cure for 3 or 4 weeks.
She said to get a book from the Library on Aromatherapy to find out the properties of various herbs (add ground up herbs or flowers for texture) and oils to add to the soap. Scents are less expensive than essential oils - this is what can up the costs drastically. She says you can add powdered milk to any soap because it is good for the skin.
She says a batch costs approximately $20 and makes 8 lbs of soap (her cutter gives her about 30 bars). She sells them for $4 each. (Rosemary is good for oily skin. Cinnamon and sage are good for diabetics because they are warming and peppermint is invigorating so is a good wake-up soap.)

kathleen, have you tried making rebatched soap? (shredded old soap mixed with herbs)
i would love to make soap but it don't want to deal with the lye. can you make soap without it?
p.s. who is 'she'?

kathleen, have you tried making rebatched soap? (shredded old soap mixed with herbs)
i would love to make soap but it don't want to deal with the lye. can you make soap without it?
p.s. who is 'she'?.
I have NEVER made soap. She is my friend now in Alabama who is the resident basket maker at Tannehill State Park (white oak baskets). She is the one who makes soap and has been after me to make and sell it. Wonderful person - we have been friends for more than 40 years (through both of my husbands, assorted jerks in between, all my kids, and all our highs and lows). She is a hippie wannabee as she was too young to be a hippie at the time, probably as Liberal as I am Conservative, and although we have not seen each other since 1995, both have permanently broken writing arms, and call each other only a couple times a year, will get out of the car and it will be as if we saw each other yesterday.

how great it is to have a friend like that - picking up your 'conversation' where you left off even if it was a year ago ... i'd sell her soap if she only expects payment when a guest buys it and not as an upfront purchase. yes, i love soap ... especially tied up in brown paper and string.

how great it is to have a friend like that - picking up your 'conversation' where you left off even if it was a year ago ... i'd sell her soap if she only expects payment when a guest buys it and not as an upfront purchase. yes, i love soap ... especially tied up in brown paper and string..
She just sells it at the Park where she makes & sells her bskets.

Thanks for the ingredient list, I will try it.
Where can you buy lye? I never had to buy any...haha

Where can you buy lye? I never had to buy any...haha.
Maggie,
Did you made already soap? If not please let me share some knowledge.
My Wife is addicted to soap making for a while and so I got some basic knowledge. If you didn’t made your own soap till know I would suggest to buy a really good and simple book called “Smart Saopmaking” from Ann L. Watson. You don’t only buy a book but also a really good helpdesk. If you have a question just email her and she answers.
When my wife makes soap she is dressed like an alien. Rubber gloves, goggles and facemask as well as a lab coat. She looks really funny.
It is true that lye is not easy to handle but if your measurement is exact and you follow the recipes and safety tips it’s ok and a lot of fun.
One last suggestion, take small silicon cake molds for your soap. Much better to handle than the loaf molds and there are a lot of suppliers for soap making equipment in the US. My Wife always complains that here in Germany the equipment is so rare.

Maggie,
My Wife is addicted to soap making for a while and so I got some basic knowledge. If you didn’t made your own soap till know I would suggest to buy a really good and simple book called “Smart Saopmaking” from Ann L. Watson. You don’t only buy a book but also a really good helpdesk. If you have a question just email her and she answers.
When my wife makes soap she is dressed like an alien. Rubber gloves, goggles and facemask as well as a lab coat. She looks really funny.
It is true that lye is not easy to handle but if your measurement is exact and you follow the recipes and safety tips it’s ok and a lot of fun.
One last suggestion, take small silicon cake molds for your soap. Much better to handle than the loaf molds and there are a lot of suppliers for soap making equipment in the US. My Wife always complains that here in Germany the equipment is so rare.
Thanks for the heads up.
I have never made soap yet and will have to see if I can find the time to.
I do have lots of time in the winter...
Where in germany are you at ?

Maggie,
Thanks for the heads up.
Winter is great for milksoap making because u have to cool them down in the freezer. So for you just put them outside
wink_smile.gif

Im located near frankfurt, so just in the middle of germany

Maggie,
Thanks for the heads up.
Winter is great for milksoap making because u have to cool them down in the freezer. So for you just put them outside
wink_smile.gif

Im located near frankfurt, so just in the middle of germany
:) yep. just put it all outside....
I am from Idar-Oberstein, not too far from Frankfurt. Also just came back from there..if only I had known :)

I have been making my own soap for over 10 years, I usually just do it for Christmas gifts but have started to sell it. It is a lot of fun to do, the best part is deciding what type you are going to make, my favorite is a coffee exfoliant with essential oils of clove and orange. This is the website that I use a lot and they even have step by step directions. It's really not as complicated as it seems. The website has all sorts of recipes for soaps, lotions, bath bombs, etc.
http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/formulary.html

I have been making my own soap for over 10 years, I usually just do it for Christmas gifts but have started to sell it. It is a lot of fun to do, the best part is deciding what type you are going to make, my favorite is a coffee exfoliant with essential oils of clove and orange. This is the website that I use a lot and they even have step by step directions. It's really not as complicated as it seems. The website has all sorts of recipes for soaps, lotions, bath bombs, etc.
http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/formulary.html.
Renee V said:
http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/formulary.html
Thanks for posting that link, I will have to check it out later. I've been interested in making my own soap for fun!

Back