Soaps, Shampoos, etc.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Just talked with Greenwich Bay and they are most definitely still in business. They said that they were short handed on Thursday and Friday and had their answering machine on.
We have been doing business with them since we opened ten years ago and get our soaps, shampoo's, toothbrushes and toothpaste from them.

We too purchase the individual ammenities from a distributor that supplies hotels, etc here in Mexico. Unfortunately, they are not reliable and also do not return calls or emails.
There is a company here that sells home made style soaps, shampoos, etc. and we purchased a loaf of Chocolate Soap, cut it into the sizes we wanted and wrapped the individual pieces in clear cello, tied a piece of rafia on it and it adds a wonderful touch to our theme.
They also sell individual travel size shampoos etc, but I would be interested to hear how a dispenser bottle works in the showers. Do you put a large pump style bottle in that you keep refilling? Does any one take this bottle thinking it is theirs? Do you refill after each guest? This sounds more economical.

We too purchase the individual ammenities from a distributor that supplies hotels, etc here in Mexico. Unfortunately, they are not reliable and also do not return calls or emails.
There is a company here that sells home made style soaps, shampoos, etc. and we purchased a loaf of Chocolate Soap, cut it into the sizes we wanted and wrapped the individual pieces in clear cello, tied a piece of rafia on it and it adds a wonderful touch to our theme.
They also sell individual travel size shampoos etc, but I would be interested to hear how a dispenser bottle works in the showers. Do you put a large pump style bottle in that you keep refilling? Does any one take this bottle thinking it is theirs? Do you refill after each guest? This sounds more economical..
"Do you put a large pump style bottle in that you keep refilling? Does any one take this bottle thinking it is theirs? Do you refill after each guest? This sounds more economical."
We have shower caddys in each shower that hold the shampoo, conditioner and body wash bottles. The are 16 ounce bottles with simple pop up caps.
In in four years time, we've never had a single guest mistake our bottles for theirs.
We probably don't refill after every guest, but it all depends on how long someone stays and how much they use. The nice thing about high quality products is that you use much less of them, so it can be quite a while between refills.
The thing we never skimp on is the cleaning of the bottles and caps after each guest. Even when doing our daily fluff, we wipe them down.

We use NutriBiotic and Nature's Gate products as they fit our "green" philosophy and both come in scentless options which more and more guests are appreciating it seems.
Our first purchase was standard size bottles in order to test them on both ourselves and guests. We wanted to gauge how receptive guests were to having refillable, bigger bottles of stuff in the showers and on the vanity counters.
Once satisfied, we then bought one set of standard size bottles of each for our 4 rooms and now buy the 1 gallon size refills. If a bottle gets dropped and damaged, we replace it.
This is real important. Between guests when cleaning the bathroom, a seperate rag with anti-bacterial cleaner is used to wipe the bottles and even after a few years, they look like brand new. I unscrew the caps when refilling and soak them to get rid of any built up gunk and they too look like brand new.
There is a reason plastic is so pernicious in our landfills, the stuff is tough and lasts a really long time.
I'm sure a few germaphobes won't touch or use our stuff, but they are the types to bring their own anyway. In fact, our experience is that most people bring their own, so instead of them leaving with a few tiny bottles of stuff with our name on it as a memento of their stay that will end up in a landfill somewhere else, we put more of our resources into the quality of our food ingredients, our day trip planning resources, and keeping the house in tip top physical shape.
The stuff we offer isn't cheap and it isn't personalized for us, but we're more interested in the quality, earth friendliness, animal testing aspect and cutting down on waste both in packaging and product itself.
We may be missing out on some secondary income streams, but we are totally committed to offering our guests a very non-commercialized experience and a respite from the overbranded, overtly consumptive life they experience in their day to day world.
We downplay nearly every commercial or financial matter between us and our guests. Their deposit and tariff payment is handled very subtly and discreetly without pressure or any mercenary impulses coming from us in the slightest. Our primary target guest type appreciates this approach more than words can describe.
There are no mugs, t-shirts, coffee, tea, cookbooks, etc. for sale here. Even though we display the artwork of friends, neighbors and myself in our B&B, there isn't a price tag on anything nor is there any effort to push anything on anybody. We've had many guests take the brochure for the coffee we serve and start buying it themselves, but it isn't overtly pushed.
We've had guests really love the art of a neighbor or myself and go visit their studio and commission a piece for themselves, but thats about it. We won't even accept a kickback from the mostly struggling artists we associate with in return for the commission referral.
We also have refillable decanters for hand soap.
Sorry for going on and on, I must be mentally prepping for the incoming guest tonight who writes for an eco-tourism magazine and is doing a piece on our place..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
We may be missing out on some secondary income streams, but we are totally committed to offering our guests a very non-commercialized experience and a respite from the overbranded, overtly consumptive life they experience in their day to day world.
We downplay nearly every commercial or financial matter between us and our guests. Their deposit and tariff payment is handled very subtly and discreetly without pressure or any mercenary impulses coming from us in the slightest. Our primary target guest type appreciates this approach more than words can describe.
There are no mugs, t-shirts, coffee, tea, cookbooks, etc. for sale here. Even though we display the artwork of friends, neighbors and myself in our B&B, there isn't a price tag on anything nor is there any effort to push anything on anybody. We've had many guests take the brochure for the coffee we serve and start buying it themselves, but it isn't overtly pushed.
Tim,
Yes, you are missing out on a secondary income stream. You state that you have a brochure for the coffee you serve and your guests are interested in it and buy it for themselves. That's not a hard sell, and you can create that same environment for your products.
Our two places seem quite similar..we are also small, out of the way (country), eco-friendly (we have been "green certified"), and people come here to enjoy the quite surroundings. If your products are as great as you say, then a lot of your guests would buy some to take home. We have a small "gift pantry" where we have our items for purchase, but in no way do we push, encourage or hardsell the items. Upon check-in, it is mentioned that this is an "honor area" and if they would like any of the items, just take what they want, fill out the little slip with their room and their item and we'll add it to their room charge. That's it. Period. No other selling tactics. You'd be surprised how often people are really happy we have some items that they can purchase to take home not only for themselves, but as little gifts for grandma & grandpa etc., who are watching the kids, or friends they are going to hook up with in the area. We also have guests who have stayed with us and call us to buy our products and mail it to them. It's a win-in. They get their specialized organic products and memories of their stay, and we get some extra added revenue without working hard for it.
Our products are all natural, organic, eco-friendly and not tested on animals. For the guests who choose to stay with us because of our "green" environment very often want to buy these types of products, and heck, why not let them and increase your revenue? The sales of our products adds several thousands of dollars per year and we still are able to maintain our eco-friendly, non pressured environment.
My motto is "work smarter, not harder", and this definitely is smarter. Oh yeah....I've also adoped the new motto/mantra from this forum "The year of simple innkeeping". I say this to myself every day now and try to follow through with it!

We use NutriBiotic and Nature's Gate products as they fit our "green" philosophy and both come in scentless options which more and more guests are appreciating it seems.
Our first purchase was standard size bottles in order to test them on both ourselves and guests. We wanted to gauge how receptive guests were to having refillable, bigger bottles of stuff in the showers and on the vanity counters.
Once satisfied, we then bought one set of standard size bottles of each for our 4 rooms and now buy the 1 gallon size refills. If a bottle gets dropped and damaged, we replace it.
This is real important. Between guests when cleaning the bathroom, a seperate rag with anti-bacterial cleaner is used to wipe the bottles and even after a few years, they look like brand new. I unscrew the caps when refilling and soak them to get rid of any built up gunk and they too look like brand new.
There is a reason plastic is so pernicious in our landfills, the stuff is tough and lasts a really long time.
I'm sure a few germaphobes won't touch or use our stuff, but they are the types to bring their own anyway. In fact, our experience is that most people bring their own, so instead of them leaving with a few tiny bottles of stuff with our name on it as a memento of their stay that will end up in a landfill somewhere else, we put more of our resources into the quality of our food ingredients, our day trip planning resources, and keeping the house in tip top physical shape.
The stuff we offer isn't cheap and it isn't personalized for us, but we're more interested in the quality, earth friendliness, animal testing aspect and cutting down on waste both in packaging and product itself.
We've had guests really love the art of a neighbor or myself and go visit their studio and commission a piece for themselves, but thats about it. We won't even accept a kickback from the mostly struggling artists we associate with in return for the commission referral.
Sorry for going on and on, I must be mentally prepping for the incoming guest tonight who writes for an eco-tourism magazine and is doing a piece on our place..
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim,
Yes, you are missing out on a secondary income stream. You state that you have a brochure for the coffee you serve and your guests are interested in it and buy it for themselves. That's not a hard sell, and you can create that same environment for your products.
Our two places seem quite similar..we are also small, out of the way (country), eco-friendly (we have been "green certified"), and people come here to enjoy the quite surroundings. If your products are as great as you say, then a lot of your guests would buy some to take home. We have a small "gift pantry" where we have our items for purchase, but in no way do we push, encourage or hardsell the items. Upon check-in, it is mentioned that this is an "honor area" and if they would like any of the items, just take what they want, fill out the little slip with their room and their item and we'll add it to their room charge. That's it. Period. No other selling tactics. You'd be surprised how often people are really happy we have some items that they can purchase to take home not only for themselves, but as little gifts for grandma & grandpa etc., who are watching the kids, or friends they are going to hook up with in the area. We also have guests who have stayed with us and call us to buy our products and mail it to them. It's a win-in. They get their specialized organic products and memories of their stay, and we get some extra added revenue without working hard for it.
Our products are all natural, organic, eco-friendly and not tested on animals. For the guests who choose to stay with us because of our "green" environment very often want to buy these types of products, and heck, why not let them and increase your revenue? The sales of our products adds several thousands of dollars per year and we still are able to maintain our eco-friendly, non pressured environment.
My motto is "work smarter, not harder", and this definitely is smarter. Oh yeah....I've also adoped the new motto/mantra from this forum "The year of simple innkeeping". I say this to myself every day now and try to follow through with it!
NW BB,
Are most of your guests driving to your place from home or flying in to an airport and renting a car?
That makes a difference. For us, the vast majority are flying in.
With the new restrictions on carrying liquids, extra charges for checked luggage, and the added effort of safely wrapping of liquid bottles of stuff that could leak inside a suitcase, we've just not had that many requests or interest.
Its great that you are able to do it so effectively and in my opinion act as an ambassador for very good quality, ethically produced body care products that hopefully someday will be the norm for most people to use. Bravo!

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim,
NW BB,
Are most of your guests driving to your place from home or flying in to an airport and renting a car?
With the new restrictions on carrying liquids, extra charges for checked luggage, and the added effort of safely wrapping of liquid bottles of stuff that could leak inside a suitcase, we've just not had that many requests or interest.
Its great that you are able to do it so effectively and in my opinion act as an ambassador for very good quality, ethically produced body care products that hopefully someday will be the norm for most people to use. Bravo!
Thanks for the Bravo!
It depends on the time of year whether our guests are flying in or not. At this time of the year, most of them have arrived in the NW by plane. Those people may not buy the liquid items, but we'll sell many of our cookbooks. Our cookbooks are made here by me, on recycled paper (4x6) sheets which I print up using the draft setting on my printer so it uses much less ink. I then take our 4x6 postcard, use it as the front cover and back cover, do a 2 hole punch and use a ribbon to tie it all together. The guests love it because it's homemade. They will also buy a t-shirt, sweatshirt, mug, or apron which they can put in their suitcase and doesn't add much weight. These people will also be the ones that call or send me an e-mail a month or so down the line and purchase the liquid items to be mailed to them. I charge them the regular cost of the item and whatever the post office charges for postage...I don't jack up the postage for profit. Just yesterday, I sold 2 robes ($50 profit) to guests who were flying back to another state. We also sell my DH's home roast coffee beans which are free trade & organic.
I just looked at our stats for last year...we made an additional $6,000 on gift shop items. That's nothing to sneeze at!!
Whether you want to do it or not is a different question. It does take a little investment of time and money when you start out because of art set up fees & buying the products, but branding does not need to be a dirty word. We brand everything from our pens, to our mugs & aprons. It's just good business. It doesn't mean you have to shove it down their throats. I figure if any of my guests take something away from here whether it's a gift or a purchase, it better have my brand on it.

They also sell individual travel size shampoos etc, but I would be interested to hear how a dispenser bottle works in the showers. Do you put a large pump style bottle in that you keep refilling? Does any one take this bottle thinking it is theirs? Do you refill after each guest? This sounds more economical..
Cathy said:
They also sell individual travel size shampoos etc, but I would be interested to hear how a dispenser bottle works in the showers. Do you put a large pump style bottle in that you keep refilling? Does any one take this bottle thinking it is theirs? Do you refill after each guest? This sounds more economical.
There is no way they would mistake the spa shampoo and conditioner pumps in the showers as "theirs". They are maybe quart sized? They come from S. Africa so not in US measurements. When we show them the room I point out that we offer vinotherapy products for them and that we use pumps to save from using so much plastic.
We clean and would refill but ours does not come in a bigger size.
We also have some lovely pumps that we used before that we cleaned and refilled before I found the vinotherapy products. Erika

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim,
NW BB,
Thanks for the Bravo!
It depends on the time of year whether our guests are flying in or not. At this time of the year, most of them have arrived in the NW by plane. Those people may not buy the liquid items, but we'll sell many of our cookbooks. Our cookbooks are made here by me, on recycled paper (4x6) sheets which I print up using the draft setting on my printer so it uses much less ink. I then take our 4x6 postcard, use it as the front cover and back cover, do a 2 hole punch and use a ribbon to tie it all together. The guests love it because it's homemade. They will also buy a t-shirt, sweatshirt, mug, or apron which they can put in their suitcase and doesn't add much weight. These people will also be the ones that call or send me an e-mail a month or so down the line and purchase the liquid items to be mailed to them. I charge them the regular cost of the item and whatever the post office charges for postage...I don't jack up the postage for profit. Just yesterday, I sold 2 robes ($50 profit) to guests who were flying back to another state. We also sell my DH's home roast coffee beans which are free trade & organic.
I just looked at our stats for last year...we made an additional $6,000 on gift shop items. That's nothing to sneeze at!!
Whether you want to do it or not is a different question. It does take a little investment of time and money when you start out because of art set up fees & buying the products, but branding does not need to be a dirty word. We brand everything from our pens, to our mugs & aprons. It's just good business. It doesn't mean you have to shove it down their throats. I figure if any of my guests take something away from here whether it's a gift or a purchase, it better have my brand on it.
NW BB said:
I am working on my gift shop which I don't push either. I have it in the tasting room where the guests pick up their port and chocolate. I have a local artist's jewelry (she sells heaps of it to people here at uva so I know it's great prices and artwork) and the vinotherapy shampoo and conditioner. Later I hope to get more product on conseignment as we have so many creative people here, and the guests don't always make it to the farmers market where they could purchase a lot of these products. They usually ask me to purchase the items that they see since they are behind sliding glass doors in a hutch.
I just had a first sucessful booking of a package designed around this. I called it the "Sweetheart Package" and added $50 to the regular two night rate. I outlined what they get normally with the room but added that the lady would be able to pick out a memento of the stay from a number of jewelry sets.
It booked and I asked the husband what colors were her favorites and made sure I had sets that reflected this. I left them out with a hand mirror in the tasting room the second evening and she picked out a favorite. I think that made a much nicer souvenir of their anniversary trip than the usual mug or wine glass with the inn's logo for her.
Riki

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim,
NW BB,
Thanks for the Bravo!
NW BB said:
I am working on my gift shop which I don't push either. I have it in the tasting room where the guests pick up their port and chocolate. I have a local artist's jewelry (she sells heaps of it to people here at uva so I know it's great prices and artwork) and the vinotherapy shampoo and conditioner. Later I hope to get more product on conseignment as we have so many creative people here, and the guests don't always make it to the farmers market where they could purchase a lot of these products. They usually ask me to purchase the items that they see since they are behind sliding glass doors in a hutch.
I just had a first sucessful booking of a package designed around this. I called it the "Sweetheart Package" and added $50 to the regular two night rate. I outlined what they get normally with the room but added that the lady would be able to pick out a memento of the stay from a number of jewelry sets.
It booked and I asked the husband what colors were her favorites and made sure I had sets that reflected this. I left them out with a hand mirror in the tasting room the second evening and she picked out a favorite. I think that made a much nicer souvenir of their anniversary trip than the usual mug or wine glass with the inn's logo for her.
Riki
That was a great idea! Having local jewelry & art in your gift area is wonderful. You're supporting local artists, you get a cut and your guests have the convenience of having the items right there at their fingertips. Way to go!

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim,
NW BB,
Thanks for the Bravo!
NW BB said:
Riki
That was a great idea! Having local jewelry & art in your gift area is wonderful. You're supporting local artists, you get a cut and your guests have the convenience of having the items right there at their fingertips. Way to go!
NW BB said:
The jewlery maker does give me a commission, but if the artist can't afford it I would not require it. I just like to support local business!
Riki

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim,
NW BB,
Thanks for the Bravo!
NW BB said:
Riki
great idea with local color!

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Tim,
NW BB,
Thanks for the Bravo!
You're welcome.
Probably doesn't need to be reminded about, but we all choose to do things the way we do for many different reasons. And all of them are valid and worthy of praise if they are working for the innkeeper.
FWIW, We work plenty "smarter" here in more ways than could be easily described here.
You know what we hope our guests take away from a stay here?
Good memories, a couple new friends, recharged batteries and comfort in knowing a really good time is all we're trying to sell them.

Sorry I am not much help here. I use dispensers for Shampoo, Conditioner, bath and Shower Gel, etc...
Too xpensixe for me to get the bars shipped to AK and actually I don't have any waste either. But I would love to be able to offer some type of nice soaps. So, if anyone could direct me too to some good suppliers, it would be appreciated..
Is there no one in Alaska that could make things for you? You know cottage industry?
I must say, I really, really like what Greenwich Bay is doing for me. Their art department is fast and cheap. Is it possible that I didn't pay anything for the art? I think it is. It's been a few years.
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Is there no one in Alaska that could make things for you? You know cottage industry?
I must say, I really, really like what Greenwich Bay is doing for me. Their art department is fast and cheap. Is it possible that I didn't pay anything for the art? I think it is. It's been a few years.
leider nicht.
we have tons of people here who make beautiful hand made soaps, lotions and much more...but the cheapest soap I could fine, just a small handsop bar, would cost me $1.06 and I think that is too much waste just to wash your hands a couple of times.....
If you have some time, you can make your own soap. My friend has been trying to get me to do it for years but I am too involved in too many things. She sent me the instructions of how to and it really was easy.
gillumhouse said:
If you have some time, you can make your own soap. My friend has been trying to get me to do it for years but I am too involved in too many things. She sent me the instructions of how to and it really was easy.
Do you still have theinstructions? Would you shre them ?
Heck, maybe my son can do them and make them for me and make a little $$$$ doing it...
I just asked my friend to send them to me again. When I get them, I will forward. It is not expensive to make it either.
We have someome make a soap locally with some local ingredients added. If you have it done up nice you can sell them and make some of your cost back. Ours are little 2 oz. domes that are wrapped in celo and tied with a small ribbon and our name label attached.

Cathy said:
There is no way they would mistake the spa shampoo and conditioner pumps in the showers as "theirs". They are maybe quart sized? They come from S. Africa so not in US measurements. When we show them the room I point out that we offer vinotherapy products for them and that we use pumps to save from using so much plastic.
We also have some lovely pumps that we used before that we cleaned and refilled before I found the vinotherapy products. Erika
Egoodell said,
There is no way they would mistake the spa shampoo and conditioner pumps in the showers as "theirs".
That being said, one can only conclude that they took them on purpose, as has been the case a couple of times in the past for me.
angry_smile.gif

I would say don't put out a larger container than you are prepared to lose, unless it is affixed to the wall somehow. You would be surprised what people will do.

Greenwich Bay is in business as far as I know. I order all my supplies from them. I only order by phone and have not tried the other options. Maybe they were just out for the day. Give them a call on Monday and see if they are there..
You are right, Inever had a chance to call, Denise got in touch with me via email. All is well now. I got my order in and I am trying their new shampoo/body bar. More for the novelty than needing this. I wonder how if it works well and what the guests think of it.

Cathy said:
Egoodell said,
There is no way they would mistake the spa shampoo and conditioner pumps in the showers as "theirs".
That being said, one can only conclude that they took them on purpose, as has been the case a couple of times in the past for me.
angry_smile.gif

I would say don't put out a larger container than you are prepared to lose, unless it is affixed to the wall somehow. You would be surprised what people will do.
"That being said, one can only conclude that they took them on purpose, as has been the case a couple of times in the past for me.
angry_smile.gif

I would say don't put out a larger container than you are prepared to lose, unless it is affixed to the wall somehow. You would be surprised what people will do."
That's when having a guest's credit card comes in so very handy. They can take anything they want from our place, I'll even let them steal our car.
We have enough information and ways to track people down that, once they realize that the $6.95 bottle of body wash they took cost them $25.00 after the fact and being added to our DNBA list, they regret doing it. Thats probably why in five years we can count the number of things taken from here on less than one hand. In fact, none of the body care stuff has disappeared, its been a few guidebooks, glasses and a few of those nice forest service maps that now cost like $9.
Now folks leaving things here and expecting free shipping of the item back to them is a whole new thread.

Back