Social Media Ambush: When Hotel Guests Go on the Attack

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]Just posted: Social Media Ambush: When Hotel Guests Go on the Attack [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]http://bit.ly/qCqUNp[/COLOR]
By DE Craig
JB says: and another thing, a couple weeks back we spoke about the innkeepers with their heads in the sand, we also spoke about those old-age innkeepers who do not maintain their "web presence" in any way, and yet may still be likable as all get out! YES AGREED, but this is now where we are as innkeepers, as sucky as it is, we are now -here-.

I do think that things are changing for the property a little bit. There was a very bad review posted about a B&B near here that attacked the owner's handling of their business personally. There was a management response posted. Both are now gone.
I remember when I tried to post a response to a review that was posted by someone who hadn't stayed here and it took me 3 tries over several days to get different versions of my response posted because it was viewed by TA as an "attack" on the reviewer. (All I did was say they hadn't stayed here!) Eventually that review did get pulled when I asked TA to have the reviewer provide proof of their stay, as they didn't even have a reservation here.
You definitely have to stay on top of the social media stuff.

What an great article and so true. Pretty sad that people want more for less and that they have to lie and threaten to get what they want.
Never give in ! that is waht i go by.

How the heck are you supposed to monitor someone's twitter feed or facebook wall if you aren't part of their network? Unless they are posting a negative review to Tripadvisor, BedandBreakfast.com or some other area where we can respond, we have very little control over social media.
I've had numerous guests tell us they've twittered this or faced book that about our place. Fortunately, it has all been positive...so far.

How the heck are you supposed to monitor someone's twitter feed or facebook wall if you aren't part of their network? Unless they are posting a negative review to Tripadvisor, BedandBreakfast.com or some other area where we can respond, we have very little control over social media.
I've had numerous guests tell us they've twittered this or faced book that about our place. Fortunately, it has all been positive...so far..
Proud Texan said:
How the heck are you supposed to monitor someone's twitter feed or facebook wall if you aren't part of their network?
You can set up alerts for tweets, just like google alerts. There are several tools out there - twilert is one, tweetalarm is another.
I don't know of any way to do the same thing on Facebook, though.

I've had numerous guests tell us they've twittered this or faced book that about our place. Fortunately, it has all been positive...so far..
Proud Texan said:
How the heck are you supposed to monitor someone's twitter feed or facebook wall if you aren't part of their network?
I use free Google Alerts to track mention of my business on the web. It occasionally lists a Facebook post but I don't think it catches all of them.
Google’s “Me on the web” tool lets you track online reactions which may be related to you in some way or the other. The tool is powered by Google alerts and lets you set up search alerts for your name email address, website or specific keywords which are directly associated with your brand, company, service and so on.

Get your inn name on google alerts, you can set it up for "blogs and news and other" as well as news articles. Same with twitter, I have it set up to alert me to tweets about these mountains, this county, this town and this inn. It is helpful.

This is all so frighteningly true. Countless times we've encountered Guests who disagreed with policies (mind, policies they agreed to at the time of booking) and therefore threatened to post horrible, untrue things all over the internet. We usually respond as kindly as possible by saying that they can post what they like, but our policy stands. I like to think that once the initial frustration and emotion have subsided, many people will understand that business is business, and as hard as they are fighting to keep their income, we are fighting to keep what little we have. If they only understood how little most B&Bs make, many operating at zero or less-than-zero profit.
Does anyone have a "social media policy" as stated in this article? I'd be interested in seeing what it's guidelines are and how best to implement such things as protection for our business and reputation against such threats.

This is all so frighteningly true. Countless times we've encountered Guests who disagreed with policies (mind, policies they agreed to at the time of booking) and therefore threatened to post horrible, untrue things all over the internet. We usually respond as kindly as possible by saying that they can post what they like, but our policy stands. I like to think that once the initial frustration and emotion have subsided, many people will understand that business is business, and as hard as they are fighting to keep their income, we are fighting to keep what little we have. If they only understood how little most B&Bs make, many operating at zero or less-than-zero profit.
Does anyone have a "social media policy" as stated in this article? I'd be interested in seeing what it's guidelines are and how best to implement such things as protection for our business and reputation against such threats..
Who cares if you have a "policy" we all know already what most people think of policies :-( they don't even read them. How can you make a policy for freedom of speech. You just can't be blackmailed or bullied by guests. DO the best you can and let the chips fall where they may.

Tell me about it. 2 horrid reviews found in the same week. I knew both of them were inevitable because we stuck to our (basic) policies. One of them was a childish rant, the other actually made a difference in our ranking. PITAs all. It's kind of too bad as the one that impacted us the most I actually did apologize to while they were here. Should have saved my breath, there was no turning that collision aside.
They just had a field day with every possible comment other guests said positive, they negated.

Tell me about it. 2 horrid reviews found in the same week. I knew both of them were inevitable because we stuck to our (basic) policies. One of them was a childish rant, the other actually made a difference in our ranking. PITAs all. It's kind of too bad as the one that impacted us the most I actually did apologize to while they were here. Should have saved my breath, there was no turning that collision aside.
They just had a field day with every possible comment other guests said positive, they negated..
Alibi Ike said:
They just had a field day with every possible comment other guests said positive, they negated.
Yes, once they get started they pick every little thing to death. But we all know that most readers disregard the occasional bad review when the majority are positive.

They just had a field day with every possible comment other guests said positive, they negated..
Alibi Ike said:
So sorry Alibi, it happens to all of us. Recently (fortunately not of TA), someone wrote a review and complained that the laundry basket we leave in their closet for them to put their wet/dirty towels if they want them exchanged) was cracked. Sheesh, who cares about what condition a laundry basket is in? They also complained we used 'plastic' (they're vinyl) shower curtains. Come on people, get a life!?!?!?! I wrote in my response we use the vinyl behind the fabric curtains so we can sanitize between guests. I should have let them get cooties!

Alibi Ike said:
So sorry Alibi, it happens to all of us. Recently (fortunately not of TA), someone wrote a review and complained that the laundry basket we leave in their closet for them to put their wet/dirty towels if they want them exchanged) was cracked. Sheesh, who cares about what condition a laundry basket is in? They also complained we used 'plastic' (they're vinyl) shower curtains. Come on people, get a life!?!?!?! I wrote in my response we use the vinyl behind the fabric curtains so we can sanitize between guests. I should have let them get cooties!
I do the reverse. I have the fabric on the inside and vinyl outside so the icky plastic does not touch the guest and the fabric curtain can get changed when I change the room. It goes in the wash with the sheets or the towels.

Back