Social Media Dilemma

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this relates to B&Bs also (since I was not doing much with FB as an innkeeper) -
I'm the administrator for an organization FB page and have an occasional post that can be a problem, so I've got the controls set up pretty tight. Have you ever blocked someone from your biz FB page or not allowed them to "like" your page? Not sure exactly how this works for a page. Although, I do have a couple of people blocked from my personal page.

Yes. Anyone who comes on my biz page only to promote their own page gets blocked. I had one guy who posted in the recommendation section. Bad for me because blocking that shows that a 'review' has been hidden, which makes it look like a bad review.
But, no way I am going to be a billboard for some bozo. He did it to a lot of businesses in town.
Now, someone who is complaining? That shouldn't be blocked unless they don't stop and just keep posting away about how bad something was. In that case, whoever has the authority should post back to them asking how amends can be made and to please contact us offline with the details. If they won't cooperate, then I would block them.

Yes. Anyone who comes on my biz page only to promote their own page gets blocked. I had one guy who posted in the recommendation section. Bad for me because blocking that shows that a 'review' has been hidden, which makes it look like a bad review.
But, no way I am going to be a billboard for some bozo. He did it to a lot of businesses in town.
Now, someone who is complaining? That shouldn't be blocked unless they don't stop and just keep posting away about how bad something was. In that case, whoever has the authority should post back to them asking how amends can be made and to please contact us offline with the details. If they won't cooperate, then I would block them..
aha, good advice, Maddie! Yes, it's promotion of other stuff that doesn't relate to our organization or mission, which is a non-profit. I try to keep my posts as the "page" limited to not-for-profit businesses or free events also. I think it's a slippery slope since we're a non-profit. My feeling is that they can have their own FB page to promote their biz!
I haven't had a problem yet with totally inappropriate posts, thank goodness.

How to...there should be an 'x' in the corner of the post the person made. You can click that to remove or report the post/person.
I don't think there is a preemptive strike!

Now, someone who is complaining? That shouldn't be blocked unless they don't stop and just keep posting away about how bad something was. In that case, whoever has the authority should post back to them asking how amends can be made and to please contact us offline with the details. If they won't cooperate, then I would block them..
aha, good advice, Maddie! Yes, it's promotion of other stuff that doesn't relate to our organization or mission, which is a non-profit. I try to keep my posts as the "page" limited to not-for-profit businesses or free events also. I think it's a slippery slope since we're a non-profit. My feeling is that they can have their own FB page to promote their biz!
I haven't had a problem yet with totally inappropriate posts, thank goodness.
A couple of local businesses had issues with people getting personal and political. They were very nice about it and just requested that everyone not get personal and political on THEIR (the business's) page but to feel free to post away on their own pages and how exciting it was to see everyone getting into the spirit of debate.
One place, tho, had a disgruntled former employee posting. That business apologized to the fans and removed the posts. Basically, 'We're sorry you had to read that.'

How to...there should be an 'x' in the corner of the post the person made. You can click that to remove or report the post/person.
I don't think there is a preemptive strike!.
Yes, I've done that to remove a "sales pitch" type of post and then gotten grief for the removal of a post. Our board has taken a stand that we don't promote individual for profit businesses, mostly because it could be construed as favoritism. I think this is totally different for B&Bs where you want to cross promote other local businesses though.

I don't think there is a preemptive strike!.
Yes, I've done that to remove a "sales pitch" type of post and then gotten grief for the removal of a post. Our board has taken a stand that we don't promote individual for profit businesses, mostly because it could be construed as favoritism. I think this is totally different for B&Bs where you want to cross promote other local businesses though.
You can write up a little disclaimer for the page and pin it to the top. Simply state this page is not for the promotion of xyz and any posts that do not conform will be removed at the discretion of the 'board'.

Hi Samster, thanks for asking the question.
Madeleine I absolutely love your last exmple about "We are sorry you had to read that".
shades_smile.gif

In Australia where I lived the Competition and Consumer Commission warns that (large) companies that fail to remove false and misleading comments from their Facebook pages within 24h face potential court action! Do you have something like that in the US and UK? Here is the link http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/accc-gives-companies-facebook-ultimatum-20120812-2432o.html

Madeleine I absolutely love your last exmple about "We are sorry you had to read that".
shades_smile.gif

In Australia where I lived the Competition and Consumer Commission warns that (large) companies that fail to remove false and misleading comments from their Facebook pages within 24h face potential court action! Do you have something like that in the US and UK? Here is the link http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/accc-gives-companies-facebook-ultimatum-20120812-2432o.html.
You may want to check the date of the post before answering another. Some of these are pretty out of date.

shades_smile.gif

In Australia where I lived the Competition and Consumer Commission warns that (large) companies that fail to remove false and misleading comments from their Facebook pages within 24h face potential court action! Do you have something like that in the US and UK? Here is the link http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/accc-gives-companies-facebook-ultimatum-20120812-2432o.html.
You may want to check the date of the post before answering another. Some of these are pretty out of date.
Hey EmptyNest! Oh I thought August was still quite recent. Even if it is old if I find the info valuable I generally like to leave a quick note. I guess I must be part of those 10% of readers that comment ;)
Cheers
EmptyNest said:

Back