Social Media

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casper

Reaction score
Does anyone currently manage/cross reference their social media marketing? If so, is it proving successful? What level of contacts/shares/likes/etc is required to achieve reservations to make this time consuming exercise worthwhile?

Are you asking if anyone tracks their ROI on social media? As in, do 500 likes = 2 reservations/week? What social media tasks have you already undertaken? What ones do you want to undertake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hR3Awb4Xg
spend a few hours creating content then schedule out using Hootsuite

Every winter I get all excited about social media and am posting lots of good stuff on various platforms, as soon as the season kicks in the whole plan goes out the window.
embaressed_smile.gif

But when you've got just 3 empty rooms left in June and not many more in July it all seems a bit pointless!!

This was discussed recently in another innkeeping forum.

They posted an article about how Social Media was a waste of time.
Many agreed.

Most could not account for any reservations made through any social media platform.

My results are the same but it does not stop me from posting as I feel that while it may not be the sole reason someone books, it does provide them with some of the personality behind the B&B itself.

I also feel that it keeps us in the mind of previous guests when they see our posts. Whether they plan to come back or not, having our info in front of them from time to time may encourage them to share their experience with friends and family who may be traveling in this direction. And word of mouth advertising is still the best!

I also post on my inn page - usually about things happening in my City or area or things at the B & B. I look at it as an inexpensive way to keep us in the face of those people who have taken the time of LIKE my page - friends, former guests, etc. Often they will jut LIKE, but many times, they share, which means all their friends etc see what I posted. FB is the pebble in the lake and all who share create the ripples. One never knows how far those ripples will reach. Nothing out of my wallet, and it really did not take a lot of my time to do it.

I also post on my inn page - usually about things happening in my City or area or things at the B & B. I look at it as an inexpensive way to keep us in the face of those people who have taken the time of LIKE my page - friends, former guests, etc. Often they will jut LIKE, but many times, they share, which means all their friends etc see what I posted. FB is the pebble in the lake and all who share create the ripples. One never knows how far those ripples will reach. Nothing out of my wallet, and it really did not take a lot of my time to do it..
I always say marketing is like baskets of eggs - you don't want all your eggs in one basket its about mixing it up.
Bit of Social Media can be done on the spur of the moment - we had new railings on the lodge done today so took photos which will go on blog, Facebook and twitter - as time goes on you do run out of things to say so its what you see as you go about - new shop take a photo, new restaurant, pretty flowers in the park and so on - I would not however spend hours a week on it.
I know I will get lynched for this but a bit of strategic OTA (online travel agencies) ie Sunday nights when its off season but I don't put anything on for Saturday nights when I know I can sell 3 times over - its a tool in my arsenal.
Being proactive with regulars - I deal with a lot of business people its "so what would you like booking in for next week/month whatever) get them while they are here and don't have a chance to waffle about - also I make it clear I hold back availability for them so it won't be showing on line - my regulars get priority booking - keeps them booking direct and I upgrade them when I can.
Tri p a - support people in reviewing but don't push to hard - feel frankly we are all suffering from review fatigue - I can't walk about and cough and I'm asked for my opinion - if they offer I say thank you and we appreciate it but I don't push.
Finding out why people are here - is there scope for building a business relationship ie they are currently building a GIANT waste incinerator near us - tons of chaps (men and women) working on it say its to be finished end of July - not a hope in HELL so getting a steady stream of people - look after them and they do bring more with them. Offer a set rate so they get the same price every time and know what they are getting.
Not being funny but invest in your place - I know money does not grow on trees but sometimes it the little things and small touches - as well invest in yourself - training skills and just a bit of pampering - grumpy crotchety host is not a plan nor good advertising. - Look after yourself - no one can replace you!
Take a bit of time now and again to look at what other people are doing - I don't believe in cold calling for rates as frankly its all online and Im well known enough locally id be rumbled in 10 seconds - but we aware of what your competition is what they offer and don't offer. Have a look over their reviews do they do something people rave about? ie 6 reviews of neighbours place raved about their guest info books kicked me up the bum to update ours!

I also post on my inn page - usually about things happening in my City or area or things at the B & B. I look at it as an inexpensive way to keep us in the face of those people who have taken the time of LIKE my page - friends, former guests, etc. Often they will jut LIKE, but many times, they share, which means all their friends etc see what I posted. FB is the pebble in the lake and all who share create the ripples. One never knows how far those ripples will reach. Nothing out of my wallet, and it really did not take a lot of my time to do it..
I always say marketing is like baskets of eggs - you don't want all your eggs in one basket its about mixing it up.
Bit of Social Media can be done on the spur of the moment - we had new railings on the lodge done today so took photos which will go on blog, Facebook and twitter - as time goes on you do run out of things to say so its what you see as you go about - new shop take a photo, new restaurant, pretty flowers in the park and so on - I would not however spend hours a week on it.
I know I will get lynched for this but a bit of strategic OTA (online travel agencies) ie Sunday nights when its off season but I don't put anything on for Saturday nights when I know I can sell 3 times over - its a tool in my arsenal.
Being proactive with regulars - I deal with a lot of business people its "so what would you like booking in for next week/month whatever) get them while they are here and don't have a chance to waffle about - also I make it clear I hold back availability for them so it won't be showing on line - my regulars get priority booking - keeps them booking direct and I upgrade them when I can.
Tri p a - support people in reviewing but don't push to hard - feel frankly we are all suffering from review fatigue - I can't walk about and cough and I'm asked for my opinion - if they offer I say thank you and we appreciate it but I don't push.
Finding out why people are here - is there scope for building a business relationship ie they are currently building a GIANT waste incinerator near us - tons of chaps (men and women) working on it say its to be finished end of July - not a hope in HELL so getting a steady stream of people - look after them and they do bring more with them. Offer a set rate so they get the same price every time and know what they are getting.
Not being funny but invest in your place - I know money does not grow on trees but sometimes it the little things and small touches - as well invest in yourself - training skills and just a bit of pampering - grumpy crotchety host is not a plan nor good advertising. - Look after yourself - no one can replace you!
Take a bit of time now and again to look at what other people are doing - I don't believe in cold calling for rates as frankly its all online and Im well known enough locally id be rumbled in 10 seconds - but we aware of what your competition is what they offer and don't offer. Have a look over their reviews do they do something people rave about? ie 6 reviews of neighbours place raved about their guest info books kicked me up the bum to update ours!
Best free app I discovered is buffer. Let's me put up to 10 items to post over time.

They answer to acquiring widespread recognize on social media marketing has a great foundation of profile and reader interaction. When you are initial beginning a new profile or marketing strategy Drip Followers Instagram Likes, getting loves and readers can be the difference between a prosperous strategies we help you to get a jump start.

Back