Socially Awkward

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Oh, how the hell do I say it nicely? Let's just say that a little bit of me died today when the guest picked up the bowl of cereal to slurp it directly, with other guests at the table. Yes, I am a snob in that way. My parents would have beaten my hand if I had used the fork in the wrong hand or in the wrong way. Guest was quite socially awkward. A sort of fish out of water. How do you handle that kind of thing?

Share it here, that is how we deal with it.
cry_smile.gif

Not much you can do. Just remember that his bad manners is a reflection on him and not you. Other guests are probably thinking the same as you!

There is really nothing you can do, I bet someone has tried their darndest to set them straight, or perhaps not, maybe the entire family is that way. You never know, not our job, we can just smile and move on. Majority are raised by wolves nowadays anyway.
I enjoyed your sharing it tho, as I could picture the scene. We have one friend, he has done everything and been everywhere a very responsible position in life, and yet...he will lick an ice cream bowl in a heart beat!

Nothing you can do. I have heard parents letting their kids know that is NOT something you do in public!
And what's with the people who pour a pint of milk into the cereal and then leave most of it for me to dump out?

Funny, that reminds me of a time we were at a restaurant. I don't know what we had, but my GF says, can I lick the plate. She wasn't joking. *lol* I looked around and said, "Ok, but hurry" We had a good laugh and I don't think anyone saw. At least she asked first...

Nothing you can do. I have heard parents letting their kids know that is NOT something you do in public!
And what's with the people who pour a pint of milk into the cereal and then leave most of it for me to dump out?.
So wasteful! I use that milk to take my vitamins with

This is an excellent reason to not put a whole jam pot on the table. Those knife lickers are everywhere! Along with their milk slurping brethren.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
My parents would have beaten my hand if I had used the fork in the wrong hand or in the wrong way.
This seems to confirm a statement I once made here (and this is not my statement, I just heard it somewhere once): regarding the slurper, it's a reflection on his mother.
(Arkansawyer ducks as Morticia takes a swing at him.)

haha! would you like to know what totally killed a romance for me?
this goes back a couple years.
i had dinner with my 'bf' at his home. he then picked up his plate and licked it 'clean'. then ... are you ready for this? he put the plate back on top of the stack of plates in the cupboard. did the same with his utensils. licked them 'clean' then put them back in the silverware drawer. i sat there assuming the plate and utensils i was using had been 'cleaned' the same way.
omg_smile.gif
(gag)
absolutely revolting!
i left in a hurry and broke it off the next day. he accused me of being a snob.
angry_smile.gif
yup, that's me. too snobby to eat off dishes licked 'clean'. urg

We had a boy who was pushing his beans onto his fork with his finger! but was with his mother and girlfriend both of whom were eating normally and politely so clearly he was doing his own thing - he was here for the new intake for the army college and I am sure they would put a stop to that!

i had dinner with my 'bf' at his home. he then picked up his plate and licked it 'clean'. then ... are you ready for this? he put the plate back on top of the stack of plates in the cupboard. did the same with his utensils. licked them 'clean' then put them back in the silverware drawer. i sat there assuming the plate and utensils i was using had been 'cleaned' the same way.
omg_smile.gif
(gag)
absolutely revolting!
angry_smile.gif
yup, that's me. too snobby to eat off dishes licked 'clean'. urg.
45970.jpg

This guy is just getting for free what New Yorkers pay a (comparatively) lot of money for - cereal milk. This is a big hit at Momofuku and its spawn.

omg_smile.gif
(gag)
absolutely revolting!
angry_smile.gif
SS,
omg_smile.gif
!!!! I don't believe I would have made it to the door before loosing my dinner!

omg_smile.gif
(gag)
absolutely revolting!
angry_smile.gif
seashanty said:
omg_smile.gif
(gag)
absolutely revolting!
angry_smile.gif
yup, that's me. too snobby to eat off dishes licked 'clean'. urg
Now that really does sound like he was raised by a pack of wolves.

We had one this morning who ate his entire breakfast (pancakes, sausage and fruit course) with his coffee spoon. There was a salad fork for use with the fruit course and a regular fork available (with a knife) for the rest of the breakfast.
He just shoved these along with his napkin, still in the ring, to the side. Even though there was a full size placemat and coaster available for his beverages, he persisted in placing them directly on our wood table. I quietly picked the beverages up, wiped the moisture ring and placed the beverage back on the coaster or mat. This guy was raised in a barn.

We had one this morning who ate his entire breakfast (pancakes, sausage and fruit course) with his coffee spoon. There was a salad fork for use with the fruit course and a regular fork available (with a knife) for the rest of the breakfast.
He just shoved these along with his napkin, still in the ring, to the side. Even though there was a full size placemat and coaster available for his beverages, he persisted in placing them directly on our wood table. I quietly picked the beverages up, wiped the moisture ring and placed the beverage back on the coaster or mat. This guy was raised in a barn.

Back