Software Comparisons?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
I have been looking at the various threads about software. Lots of opinions, but some are probably better suited to some inns than others. Does anyone know of anywhere I can go to actually compare the features?

What sort of software are you asking about?.
I think she is referring to reservation software or guest management software. I am not aware of any one place that offers comparisons of them. You just kind of have to do your own research.

I think she is referring to reservation software or guest management software. I am not aware of any one place that offers comparisons of them. You just kind of have to do your own research.
Yes, that is what I meant. Oh well, I thought that would be the case, I will make my own cheat sheet comparisons. Any suggestions of things to watch out for?
Also, I was thinking of using Quickbooks for the general business, anyone using something better?

Yes, that is what I meant. Oh well, I thought that would be the case, I will make my own cheat sheet comparisons. Any suggestions of things to watch out for?
Also, I was thinking of using Quickbooks for the general business, anyone using something better?
I think Quickbooks has pretty much become the standard for general business. I used to use Quicken but everyone I know has gone to Quickbooks. You can do on line credit card with them as well without having to buy the machine etc. I think SWIRT uses that system and likes it alot. I just talke a friend of mine into using it as she never even took credit cards before. She seems real pleased with it.
As far as Guest Management software, I think you can read some o the other threads here that people like. Many people I know have gone to on line guest managment with Reservation Nexus. For a size operation like yours, the cost is probably good for you. For me with only 3 rooms, I couldn't see it. But the folks there are great to work with.

I think Quickbooks has pretty much become the standard for general business. I used to use Quicken but everyone I know has gone to Quickbooks. You can do on line credit card with them as well without having to buy the machine etc. I think SWIRT uses that system and likes it alot. I just talke a friend of mine into using it as she never even took credit cards before. She seems real pleased with it.
As far as Guest Management software, I think you can read some o the other threads here that people like. Many people I know have gone to on line guest managment with Reservation Nexus. For a size operation like yours, the cost is probably good for you. For me with only 3 rooms, I couldn't see it. But the folks there are great to work with.
Thanks, I have been reviewing the old threads. I figured on Quickbooks, but reservation/guest management? Reservation Nexus is one we plan to look at.
Eventually, yes we will be a good sized operation, but starting out with just the motel and trying to re-capture business in a down economy I know our numbers stand to be pretty poor starting out. I am interested in finding something that can grow with us, or plan on switching it out as we grow but not eat us alive as we go. We will be seasonal, and this means paying for months with no income during the down time too. Am just trying to figure out a least expensive option here for now.

A good feature on Res Nex is that it is entirely web based - you can access from any computer, even check reservations from a browser enabled phone. Security info like credit cards are maintained by them, not you, reducing liability. Even if a guest's dog eats your computer, your reservations and data are safe.

Thanks, I have been reviewing the old threads. I figured on Quickbooks, but reservation/guest management? Reservation Nexus is one we plan to look at.
Eventually, yes we will be a good sized operation, but starting out with just the motel and trying to re-capture business in a down economy I know our numbers stand to be pretty poor starting out. I am interested in finding something that can grow with us, or plan on switching it out as we grow but not eat us alive as we go. We will be seasonal, and this means paying for months with no income during the down time too. Am just trying to figure out a least expensive option here for now.
Then I would definitely go with Webervations, it is far and away the least expensive and is very functional, and it can grow with you. It does not have the "guest management" aspects that some of the others do, but if you are going to use QB for your books and cc processing, I don't really think you need it, just my two cents.
Take it from someone who tried, you do NOT want to have to change gears mid-race. It is a total nightmare. So try to pick something you can afford now that can grow with you.

Then I would definitely go with Webervations, it is far and away the least expensive and is very functional, and it can grow with you. It does not have the "guest management" aspects that some of the others do, but if you are going to use QB for your books and cc processing, I don't really think you need it, just my two cents.
Take it from someone who tried, you do NOT want to have to change gears mid-race. It is a total nightmare. So try to pick something you can afford now that can grow with you.
I recall your thread about that. Not pretty. That is one of the things that has me nervous about making a choice.

PAII did a good issue on the different systems in 2009. Here is the link if you want to compare. http://issuu.com/ingridthorson/docs/spring09

I recall your thread about that. Not pretty. That is one of the things that has me nervous about making a choice.
Definitely ask the folks here on the forum, there is someone here using just about every alternative so you will get a good variety of responses. But you really need to figure out exactly what you need the system to do for you, really how much "stuff" you want.
You can export Webervations data to Excel, so we keep our own "database" that way. It's not as streamlined as some of the systems (like those that let you make notes on guests, those that recognize when a guest has stayed before, etc.) but at 9 rooms we just do that for ourselves on our Excel database. Since you plan to be larger eventually that might be a function that you want, so you should go with one of the larger systems.
I also use a Mac, which further limits what we can do. If you are using a PC you do have more options. Believe me, I am most definitely not a B&B.com cheerleader, but though they own Webervations, the systems' base is still out of Ohio with a small staff who ONLY deal with Wevervations, all of whom have been truly helpful to me.
I did really like Reservation Key as well, and John who owns/runs it was very responsive and communicative when I was trying to get set up with him; but ultimately the functionality I needed was not there yet. Look around at different web sites too, and see which system you like the "look" of best...though I was excited when we tried to change to Rezovation (because of what it could do on the back end), I never liked their user interface at all, especially with large properties with many rooms from which to choose...it was just very cumbersome to scroll through all of those. I like the clean look of the Webervations calendar.

PAII did a good issue on the different systems in 2009. Here is the link if you want to compare. http://issuu.com/ingridthorson/docs/spring09.
Thanks so much for posting this! It will give me some good background to consider for making a choice!

(Disclosure: I run KeepMeBooked, one product featured in the reviews linked below)
There are some good reviews of different products on Scott Thomas' "About The Inn" blog:
http://www.abouttheinn.com/2010/07/online-booking-and-prop/ (Reviews of Super Inn, Webervations, KeepMeBooked)
and
http://www.abouttheinn.com/2010/12/software-review-book-at-once-property-management-software/ (Review of Bookatonce).
Thanks for posting! The more I read, the better choice I will make. Doing my homework here.

Back